Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 08:44 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times

Advertisements

was watching Alaska Magazine TV last nite, it featured Alaska Marine Highway Ferry System.
would love to hear yall share experiences about traveling on it...what it was like, places you have visited.
King Cove looked like an interesting stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 08:50 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Here is my most recent trip South from Alaska.

//www.city-data.com/forum/alask...cent-trip.html

Old 12-31-2011, 09:05 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Been all over on the system, never have had a bad trip! Met lots of nice folks and saw lots of neat scenery!

Going into Sitka, the Captain was even nice enough to point out the only flock of Pink Famingos in Alaska! The are only on one island!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:36 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Let's see---one of the last times I road on the ferry, some middle school class was going somewhere and although several teachers accompanied them, the kids were out of control and basically wrecked the trip. What they didn't wreck, their teachers did. This was an early morning trip over to Ketchikan and several of us had to eat our breakfasts standing up because the kids and their teachers refused to vacate their seats after they had eaten. There was plenty of seating available on the other parts of the ferry, but it was against regulations to take food there. The teachers just sat their like vapid lumps while the children ran wild. Complaints were of course made to the personnel on the vessel but because of coast guard regulations, they could not ask the teachers and the kids to move so that other people could have breakfast. I felt really bad for the people who worked there, especially the guy whose job it was to run breakfasts out to the people at tables. Every time he would go by, this one group of children would start shrieking at him for their food. The entire group has absolutely no manners.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:28 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
And then there was the time I was taking the ferry up from Washington to Ketch. and was comfortably settled into a chair reading a good book when I felt a presence hovering over me. I looked up and saw what was clearly an idjit of the first order. He wanted to buy me a cocktail in the ferry bar. I declined, and then he started yelling at me that the only reason he asked was that he "felt sorry for me" because I was sitting there all by myself. Next trip I flew.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:14 AM

854 posts, read 1,978,218 times
It's nice enough.
Though after one trip, my wife found some bizarre spot on her jeans that had an awful oceanic stench that wouldn't come out- we tried multiple washings, vinegar, oxi-clean, and so on. We ended up having to through them away. It's as if a whale stealthily shot a stream of urine at us while we were out on the deck. Either that or it came from the showers.

If you can afford it, go with your own room (I got an email from them this past week that they are cheap these days). If not, you can sleep on the floor with the majority of passengers- it's what we always do, but it's not for everyone (and not exactly restful, either). I think we'll go with a room next time.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:49 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,229 times
I believe the day will come I will want to visit Juneau again from the mainland and i would love to try the ferry. I would definitly get a room or Are you alowed to stay in your vehicle if you pay the fee to take the car?... just daydreaming now

Old 12-31-2011, 01:09 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
I believe the day will come I will want to visit Juneau again from the mainland and i would love to try the ferry. I would definitly get a room or Are you alowed to stay in your vehicle if you pay the fee to take the car?... just daydreaming now
Sleeping in vehicles is prohibited by Coast Guard regulations.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:52 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
I took it last summer both up and down Prince Rupert to Haines. I totally enjoyed it. Even with all the kids going to a track meet. I got a room. Don't think I would do it without a room. I wish I could have laid over for a couple of days vrs just up and down. Both times I did it hardly any tourists. Just us snow birds and locals- so it was nice. Tony in the bar both ways was a hoot and good stories living his entire life in SE. Tons of whales and I lucked out both times with good weather. Shared a taxi with the dog walkers when needed. I loved the break from the drive. I would like to take it up to Whitter maybe next year. All in all I really enjoyed it!

Old 12-31-2011, 05:27 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
theres a bar on the ferry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
I took it last summer both up and down Prince Rupert to Haines. I totally enjoyed it. Even with all the kids going to a track meet. I got a room. Don't think I would do it without a room. I wish I could have laid over for a couple of days vrs just up and down. Both times I did it hardly any tourists. Just us snow birds and locals- so it was nice. Tony in the bar both ways was a hoot and good stories living his entire life in SE. Tons of whales and I lucked out both times with good weather. Shared a taxi with the dog walkers when needed. I loved the break from the drive. I would like to take it up to Whitter maybe next year. All in all I really enjoyed it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska