Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,161 times

Advertisements

I'm another nurse from Texas (although living in the midwest currently, and yes I'm male) and I think I'm leaning more towards fairbanks rather than Anchorage for a relocation.

I'm curious though -

1. Do groceries/gas cost more in one city than the other?

2. What about homes?

3. I saw something on youtube about Dry cabins - is that more common in the interior vs coastal region?

4. Does one city lend itself more towards particular activities than the other (like skiing in the mountains near Anchorage (?), or being near an excellent fishing spot etc)?

5. The cars that plug in - is that more in the Fairbanks area than Anchorage?

6. Do the northern lights move perceptibly, or are videos like the ones linked bellow sped up?

7. Does one have a higher crime rate than the other?

8. When ya'll say a road is the "end of the road" - does that mean it continues on unpaved and un-kept, or literally beyond a certain point it's
impassible except for snowmachine etc?

9. The drive to Fairbanks to Anchorage - is it pretty bare and desolate or are there plenty of people travelling it and businesses on it?

10. What about the other cities along fairbanks (like North Pole) - are they firmly spread out from Fairbanks or do they blend into one another (like two cities here do..)?

11. Does fairbanks have less bears and wildlife wondering the city?

12. Is there a difference in the snow (more powdery, icy......heck I don't know I'm from Texas!)

13. Is making a small fire pit in your yard illegal in the city?

14. Do alcoholic beverages cost more in one vs the other?

15. How do their downtowns compare?

16. I saw a video on youtube about hotsprings in fairbanks where two tourists swam in one. Is that encouraged and common - or where they just being jackas*es?

17. They also went to an ice bar (made of ice) - is that only in Fairbanks due to lower temp, or does Anchorage have something like that too?

18. Is the ground in Fairbanks permafrost? Is it possible to dig with a shovel?

19. Are earthquakes more common in one city vs another?

20. Do outhouses have to be emptied?

Live broadcasting of Northern Lights( Live!Aurora ) from Alaska - YouTube

Last edited by TheEarthBeneathMe; 01-02-2012 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 06:58 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,221 times
Hahaha now there is someone who knows how to ask questions! I'd be happy to start answering these but am just about to get off work and go home. I'm sure you'll get lots of answers though.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:52 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,161 times
I guess it's too late to edit my post, but I'm also wondering now:

21. How do you take a shower in a dry cabin?

22. Does the extreme cold affect everyday use of electronics, or items involving metals, plastics etc, like a car or cellphone etc?

23. Do people generally take animals inside for winter?

24. I thought I read something once about schools teaching children about survival - is that true and part of a curriculum?

Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
are you really a nurse?

Old 01-02-2012, 08:26 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,174,791 times
TheEarthBeneathMe;22368975]I'm another nurse from Texas (although living in the midwest currently, and yes I'm male) and I think I'm leaning more towards fairbanks rather than Anchorage for a relocation.

I'm curious though -

Yes. In Fairbanks

2. What about homes?
Both about the same

3. I saw something on youtube about Dry cabins - is that more common in the interior vs coastal region?
It's more common the farthest you move from a town or city, and also on high ground where drilling for water could be very expensive

4. Does one city lend itself more towards particular activities than the other (like skiing in the mountains near Anchorage (?), or being near an excellent fishing spot etc)?
Fishing for salmon and other salt water fish is closer to Anchorage than Fairbanks, but fresh-water fishing makes no difference. The same for skiing, although Anchorage has the largest slopes nearby

More electrical outlets at the parking lots and houses in Fairbanks, since it gets colder than in Anchorage

6. Do the northern lights move perceptibly, or are videos like the ones linked bellow sped up?
Yes, but all depends. Sometimes they move quite fast, while sometimes they stand still. Northern Lights are more visible in Fairbanks than Anchorage

Yes. The more people, the higher number of crimes, but per-capita it's about the same

8. When ya'll say a road is the "end of the road" - does that mean it continues on unpaved and un-kept, or literally beyond a certain point it's
The end of the road means that (the point where you can't drive further)

9. The drive to Fairbanks to Anchorage - is it pretty bare and desolate or are there plenty of people travelling it and businesses on it? All depends on the time of the day or night. Most people travel during the day when there is more daylight, but since it's dark most of the winter you will see vehicles on the road every now and then during the day, and not as much late at night. Also, when it's -40 degrees like it was yesterday, and tonight, you won't see too many cars on the road. There also are some desolate areas in between.

10. What about the other cities along fairbanks (like North Pole) - are they firmly spread out from Fairbanks or do they blend into one another (like two cities here do..)? We have three major cities (Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau). Consider North Pole as a Fairbanks neighborhood, not as a city (they blend into each other).

Bears usually stay away from people and traffic, so I doubt that you will see any in the center of Fairbanks or Anchorage.

12. Is there a difference in the snow (more powdery, icy......heck I don't know I'm from Texas!) The colder it is, the more powdery. Since the temperatures are milder in Anchorage, the snow there is heavier and wetter.

Most times, yes.

About the same

Anchorage is a larger city, so it has a larger concentration of building. Not so fairbanks.

16. I saw a video on youtube about hotsprings in fairbanks where two tourists swam in one. Is that encouraged and common - or where they just being jackas*es? That's common at the Chena Hot Springs. As long as you are in the hot water the cold air is not going to affect you

17. They also went to an ice bar (made of ice) - is that only in Fairbanks due to lower temp, or does Anchorage have something like that too?
The Chena Hot Springs business in Fairbanks has an ice hotel. I don't think Anchorage has any

Yes. And no, you can't dig through permafrost with a shovel. Permafrost is solid ice. But with a backhoe and the right teeth on the bucket you can scrape it pretty good

Easier to "feel" more tremors in Anchorage than in Fairbanks (don't know why), but tremors are common through Alaska.

No

Alaska is not a place you want to come to stay based on Internet answers. The best thing to do is to visit and get a feel for it for one full season. It's not only extremely expensive, but the darkness of winter coupled to the extreme cold of the interior, can scare you if you aren't financially and mentally prepared.

Take a look at the latest North Star Borough quarterly report for 2011 (pdf file):
http://www.co.fairbanks.ak.us/communityplanning/crc/FALL%202011%20CRQ.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-02-2012 at 08:35 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 08:30 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Maybe marginally more in Fairbanks, especially for stuff that is a little more exotic or unusual. Not a huge difference.

2. What about homes?
That's a huge question. I think it's a safe generalization that on average property in Anchorage is significantly more expensive, but in Anchorage you have more options and there are also bedroom communities where you can house-hunt. Guess it depends on what you're looking for. Probably someone who's actually bought property in one or both places can offer more information.

Much more common in the interior.

Can't speak too much to specific hobbies because I live between the two cities. You will find good fishing and hunting in both areas. Personally for outdoor recreation I prefer Fairbanks because there are fewer people and fewer tourists, plus it's so much drier, but general consensus is that the countryside around Anc is more aesthetically appealing.

Fairbanks. Anchorage doesn't see much of the stark lows Fairbanks does.

They move. Sometimes they are more excitable than other times. Most of the time from the point of view of my place they're just a big green slightly wiggly streamer, but on active nights they dance and are more colorful and fill more of the sky.

Neither place is a utopia but Anc has more random crime.

Both, either. Sometimes roads are passable some times of year and not others. Depends on the road, really.

9. The drive to Fairbanks to Anchorage - is it pretty bare and desolate or are there plenty of people travelling it and businesses on it?
There are two different routes between Fairbanks and Anc. Both are pretty high-traffic...by Alaska standards. On a nasty day or at night you could sit a fair while before seeing anyone else come by, though. There are population centers along both routes but there's a lot of uninhabited space between those centers. It's not desolate, though, both routes are quite beautiful.

10. What about the other cities along fairbanks (like North Pole) - are they firmly spread out from Fairbanks or do they blend into one another (like two cities here do..)?
Fairbanks and North Pole are pretty close together. Other than that there is definite breathing space between towns/cities in the interior.

I think there are fewer reports of wildlife in Fairbanks mostly because Fairbanks is not as sprawled out...there's just less human space for it to wander into.

12. Is there a difference in the snow (more powdery, icy......heck I don't know I'm from Texas!)
Yes. It snows much less Fairbanks, and the snow is not as wet.

Dunno. You need burn permits to burn, I know that.

About the same.

Anchorage is unambiguously a city. Fairbanks, not so much.

16. I saw a video on youtube about hotsprings in fairbanks where two tourists swam in one. Is that encouraged and common - or where they just being jackas*es?
HOME - CHENA HOT SPRINGS RESORT

Again, I think you are referring to HOME - CHENA HOT SPRINGS RESORT . I don't think Anc has anything similar, not so much because of temp but because it's this place's gimmick.

Fairbanks is on permafrost. The surface soil is not permafrost, though.

Much more common in Anchorage. Fairbanks doesn't get much dramatic tectonic activity.

No, the poo fairy takes it away

Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Some places that don't have a well are still plumbed and have a water tank you can fill. Those may have normal showers. If it isn't plumbed you either get creative with a shower bag setup, or you don't shower in your cabin.

22. Does the extreme cold affect everyday use of electronics, or items involving metals, plastics etc, like a car or cellphone etc?
Plastics are much more brittle in the cold temperatures which causes more frequent vehicle breakdowns, etc. If you leave your cell sitting outside obviously it'll freeze, but if you keep it in your pocket like people normally do it wouldn't be an issue.

What kind of animals? You need to provide some kind of shelter for domestic animals but it doesn't necessarily have to be inside your own house.

24. I thought I read something once about schools teaching children about survival - is that true and part of a curriculum?
Some schools have survival classes. It's not universal or part of the state curriculum or anything.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,110 times
Here ya go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
-

Gas is more in Fairbanks. Groceries are almost the same. But in Fairbanks you have access to local, Alaskan milk from Northern Lights Dairy which is AWESOME!

2. What about homes?
Homes are more in Anchorage, generally.

Dry Cabins are non-existent in Anchorage. I'm sure you can probably find some outside of Anchorage in Eagle River/Peter's Creek and beyond.

It seems both are pretty similar, but I find there are way more people at those places down here in Anchorage.

Assuming you are talking about plug-ins for heating the battery, etc all cars should have plug-ins in Fairbanks. Most do here in Anchorage but I have only HAD to plug mine in here in Anchorage about 3 times in 3 years. It just does not get that cold here. Of course the power company suggests plugging-in at 20 above. I think that's mostly to get more money from you. It runs about $25 a month to plug in a car.

Yes, they move and are few words to describe their awesomeness. You will rarely see them in Anchorage, if ever.

I believe that Anchorage has a higher crime rate but I have never been effected by is. (knock on wood)

Yes, exactly that. There is no more road. Literally.

There are some small communities on the roads. But the scenery is amazing!

Fairbanks and North Pole are separated by about 7 miles of nothing much but a few scattered homes and businesses. Not like who the cities merge in some of the more populated states.

Less then what?

Yes, generally the snow is wetter here in Anchorage. The snow in Fairbanks is very dry and it's very hard to make snowmen with.

Yes, you can make a fire pit in your yard in both cities. In Anchorage there are a lot more rules you need to follow to be compliant.

I have no idea.

Anchorage's Downtown is actually on a hill but we still call it downtown. It's pretty large, I'd guess about 48 blocks or more? There are lots of touristy shops, fancy restaurants, etc downtown along with some of the larger and more expensive hotels etc...
Fairbanks down town is very cute and homey.

Chena Hot Springs, very popular resort. $8 to swim.

As far as I know Anchorage does not have an ICE BAR like they have up at the Chena Hot Springs but I do believe there is a ICE Museum on 4th avenue that is open year round in a building. Probably more like a huge fridge.

Yes and yes.

I have experienced earthquakes equally in both cities. They happen frequently.

Sometimes. Or you just build a new one.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:03 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post

I have taken baths in Dry Cabins. We had this amazing porch and got a 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank and set it out there. Retro-fitted it to drain out. Filled it with hot water from the storage tank and heated on the stove. When it got cold we moved the tub into the under-the-stairs closet.

Yes, some things don't work properly in the extreme cold like my husband's Insulin pump. Also batteries will freeze and drain faster. It's never a good idea to leave anything outside if you can help it. Some plastics can break in the extreme cold. We have special made extension cords that can withstand -60 and wont break.

Generally, yes as most pets are not capable of withstanding the extreme cold. But livestock is kept in both barns and outside.

I suppose some do but it's certainly not common. Although I think it would be a really really great idea!
Here ya go!

Old 01-02-2012, 11:25 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,221 times
Here was my shower set up. Showers and moose*trottings. « Alaska, The Madness

I also belonged to the gym so showered there. I took my kids to our indoor swimming pool as well to shower and swim.

This was my dry kitchen. I was lucky in that my sink drained outside. Most of them have a slop bucket under the sink which must be emptied.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/33443_10150293027950697_656605696_14787181_7570574 _n.jpg (broken link)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/37922_10150293019965697_656605696_14787013_8004917 _n.jpg (broken link)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/181773_10150424938515697_656605696_17101533_464983 8_n.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska