Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 11:08 AM

16 posts, read 103,416 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody in Alaska - how about some pictures showing ALL the seasons. Rance, I love all your shots!
Does anybody have some autumn shots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 01:03 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Talking Fishing Season!

I'll start it off with one of the rare photos of our longtime Alaskan and resident of Soldotna, Les Anderson (in orange rain suit) admiring his catch while a friend holds it up for photos.

http://www.towerrocklodge.com/album/leskingrecord3.jpg (broken link)

This picture was taken in the early afternoon and after the fish had been officially weighed on a certified scales at Echo Lake Meat Lockers. The official weight in the record books is 97 pounds 4 ounces. The fish was not weighed until several hours after it was caught and Fish & Game estimates that due to evaporative weight loss, the fish may have broken the hundred pound mark if it had been weighed promptly after being caught.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:14 PM

16 posts, read 103,416 times
This is a silly question (coming from a non-fishing person) is this fish edible? I have had huge cat fish before and personally they tasted 'scummy' like the bottom of the lake looked!

Old 09-02-2007, 02:52 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
There is a distinct difference between king salmon and catfish, Alaska is graced with at least five different types of salmon, as I understand it, the kings and silvers are preferable, they are also absolutely delicious. They are somewhat rare in the lower 48, but, at some of the better fish shops, fresh Salmon is brought in on a weekly basis, expensive, comparitively, but well worth it. If you purchase some- bake at 350 for about 15 min, season, before baking, with lemon juice, butter, and garlic, proportion said ingredients to your own taste.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:41 AM

Thumbs up Good Eats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishbloom View Post
This is a silly question (coming from a non-fishing person) is this fish edible? I have had huge cat fish before and personally they tasted 'scummy' like the bottom of the lake looked!
Yes, it is definitely edible, but I would have had it stuffed and mounted since it is the World's Largest King salmon. The best eating salmon, in order of preference, are Reds (Sockeye), Silvers (Coho), and Kings (Chinook). Pink salmon (Humpback or just Humpies) is usually what you will find in canned salmon, and Dog (Chum) salmon is what Alaskan natives feed their dogs.

In most rivers where Kings spawn they reach between 20 and 40 pounds. The Kenai River, however, has exceptionally large Kings that range between 40 and 80 pounds (or larger).

Old 09-03-2007, 03:40 PM

395 posts, read 1,717,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I'll start it off with one of the rare photos of our longtime Alaskan and resident of Soldotna, Les Anderson (in orange rain suit) admiring his catch while a friend holds it up for photos.

http://www.towerrocklodge.com/album/leskingrecord3.jpg (broken link)

This picture was taken in the early afternoon and after the fish had been officially weighed on a certified scales at Echo Lake Meat Lockers. The official weight in the record books is 97 pounds 4 ounces. The fish was not weighed until several hours after it was caught and Fish & Game estimates that due to evaporative weight loss, the fish may have broken the hundred pound mark if it had been weighed promptly after being caught.
Darn it Glitch. How is it U are able to catch such a huge one and I seem to catch all the small ones. I remember clearly, the 1st time in Alaska with 3 other guys, we were hard press to catch anything. I've saved a copy of the Anchorage Daily News dated 7/9/1998 The headline was "Y-K SALMON RUN AT 'DISASTER' LEVEL MARK". Of course, since my succeeding trips, I've been more successful but they always seem to tip the lower end of the scale

Old 09-03-2007, 04:30 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
Hey, I was after kings up at Clear Creek with the boys, and they all limited out and I was skunked. On a side note, I could see dozens in the water, but none of them would so much as attempt a snap at a line while I was fishing. EVERYONE was catching. There was a 4-year old little girl who pulled in a 20 inch Dolly Varden on a kiddy pole from WalMart fer gosh sakes, 20 feet away from me and then landed 2 smaller ones (Witchcraft, I'm sure).

Old 09-04-2007, 06:11 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Let's see...the fall colors are out in northern AK now...
North of the Brooks Range

Not so much in south central just yet

But soon...it will be winter! The best time of year!
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/8859/dsc0035tg9.jpg (broken link)

And then spring again!

Old 09-04-2007, 06:16 PM

Smile In my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMFEB31 View Post
Darn it Glitch. How is it U are able to catch such a huge one and I seem to catch all the small ones. I remember clearly, the 1st time in Alaska with 3 other guys, we were hard press to catch anything. I've saved a copy of the Anchorage Daily News dated 7/9/1998 The headline was "Y-K SALMON RUN AT 'DISASTER' LEVEL MARK". Of course, since my succeeding trips, I've been more successful but they always seem to tip the lower end of the scale
I wish I caught it, but I didn't. Les Anderson from Soldotna caught it. When I want to ensure that I catch a King, I drive down to Ninilchik near Homer. They are only 20 to 30 pounders (small by comparison to just about everywhere else), they are large enough for my tastes. I prefer Reds and Silvers over Kings anyway. They are better tasting in my opinion.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:34 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
In the spring before the tourists show, they open up the first 15 miles of Denali National Park to the locals so they can go play in it, these were taken this past march in Denali Park.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska