Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I don't like thumbnails...
Be glad to post the full photo, but haven't found out how yet. IM me and tell me what is required to do that.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:44 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
Better yet, maybe somebody can explain?? I'd like to know too

Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Better yet, maybe somebody can explain?? I'd like to know too
To be honest, I can't even remember how to do it til I actually do it. If you have a photobucket account, it'll probably help.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 PM

ok, hold on....

Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 PM

Ok, it worked. Here's what I did....first get a photobucket account. Then you upload the photos to that account. Then you go in to your account, choose whatever pic you want & then click on the IMG code (copy it) that is at the bottom of the pic, there will be like four other choices, then hit post reply here & hit paste & even though you won't see it yet (it'll say all that mumbo jumbo about html & all that), once you click post & look at your post, the pic should be there. Now, if someone has an easier way, please tell ME!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:47 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Yea, what Karfar said...

Old 08-08-2008, 12:22 AM

Thank you!!! That is a big help...will try tomorrow, and nice pic Karfar - Where is that????

Old 08-08-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Thank you!!! That is a big help...will try tomorrow, and nice pic Karfar - Where is that????
My family's place up north in Rhinelander, it's my happy place!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:25 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I don't like thumbnails...
Thumbnails were bad enough already, and now it seems the server has been changed and they way the show up (at least on the web browser that I use) is even worse than it was.

Thumbnails have one major (dis)advantage though, in that they are archived by the City-Data Forum server, and will forever more remain as part of the article they are attached to. You can't get rid of them, but you don't have to maintain the archive either. I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse! :-)

Using the IMG directive and a URL to flickr or photobucket or whatever causes City-Data to fetch the image from wherever the URL points to every single time someone accesses the thread it is in. (If you want high hit counts on your web site, just post images to this thread. You'll get a hit even if nobody looks at the image.)

There are other tricks to posting images that may or may not be useful. First and probably most useful is knowing that the image should not be larger than 900x900 pixels, because that is as big as City-Data will display it, and if it is larger there will be a message saying it was reduced in size. Their size reduction looks okay, but you really do want to see what it looks like before you post it, and that means reducing it yourself. Generally that should be the one and only time a JPEG image is ever edited, because each edit causes degradation of the image with JPEG "artifacts".

The way I post pictures is perhaps a little bit techie, but maybe not. I put them in one particular directory on my webpage. Then in an article here I use the [img] directive. Here is what it looks like (fixed so that is doesn't actually do it, and lets you see it instead:
[img]http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson/akforum/7783.jpg[/img]
When I do it for real, this is what happens:
I thought you all might get a kick out of seeing that picture, or at least you will when I tell you what these crazy folks are doing! See that old blond gal, in a white t-shirt, dead center... That is our famous Fran Tate, owner of Pepe's North of the Border Mexican Restaurant... celebrating her soon to come 80th birthday (it is in early October, but jumping in the ocean isn't such a hot idea then). She gives out hundreds of certificates every year for the "Polar Bear Club" to any tourist who will take a dunk in the ocean, so this year she said she would do it and wanted 80 people to join her. I think she may have had 50!

The men in blue on the left are the US Coast Guard. Incidentally they were offered up as a group by the senior officer to help Fran, but as you can see she brought her own helpers. The lady in pink is Karen Hegyi the Magistrate. Fran has two of her cooks giving her a hand, and that old guy heading for them is actually a good samaritan... He is Tom Saxton (a paramedic) who happens to be the Assistant Fire Chief for the North Slope Borough. He was half way out of the water, and in some distress himself, when he thought it appeared that Fran was having difficulty and he went back to check on her. She was fine, he darned near froze to death...

Old 08-08-2008, 10:58 AM

Looking at that leaves me at a loss for words to decribe it, especially when looking at the ice.."Refreshing" "Invigorating" "Flippin nutz", but thanks for the tips too Floyd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska