Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 08:07 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times

Advertisements

Are those whales or salmon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 08:11 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Are those whales or salmon?
They are Keet, orcas. Interesting side fact for those who aren't aware, orcas (aka killer whales) are not really whales at all but large porpoises. True whales are planktonivores that feed using baleen. Thus, what are sometimes referred to as "toothed whales"- that is whales that have teeth and eat larger fish- are actually porpoises.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:27 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
They are Keet, orcas. Interesting side fact for those who aren't aware, orcas (aka killer whales) are not really whales at all but large porpoises. True whales are planktonivores that feed using baleen. Thus, what are sometimes referred to as "toothed whales"- that is whales that have teeth and eat larger fish- are actually porpoises.
I like the way they are depicted.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks-

I'm going to play around with it a little and see if I can find a way to make it less obviously photoshopped...

Old 04-30-2008, 11:13 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if I like this or not, but what the hell. Enjoy.
I LOVE it! That's just fabulous.

Hmm... Xa'at, do you know anybody named Taug?

Old 04-30-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
I LOVE it! That's just fabulous.

Hmm... Xa'at, do you know anybody named Taug?
The name isn't familiar, but I know a lot of people by face that I couldn't tell you the name of. Is he (she?) a UAS student?

Old 05-01-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
The name isn't familiar, but I know a lot of people by face that I couldn't tell you the name of. Is he (she?) a UAS student?
One of my grandchildren is a Taug. Most of them are either significantly older than you or significantly younger, so I'm not surprised if you don't know them. Thought I'd ask though, cause it's a small world... :-)

Old 05-01-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
There is a simply wonderful story, "Keet Shagoon", that the Tlingit people tell about how keet were created, and why they never attack humans.

I don't know if it is still available, but the Naa Kahidi Theater made a 28 minute long video of it in 1988. It was sponsored by the Sealaska Corporation among others. The video is not technically great, but the story and the performance are fabulous.

"Keet Shagoon tells the story of Naatsilanei, who carves a killer whale to seek revenge against his bothers-in-law who left him to die on a rock at sea. A company of four Tlingit performers costumed in traditional, pre-European regalia enact the story. Keet Shagoon combines the aboriginal traditions of oral literature, dance, and song. The video was shot in peformance in thhe fall of 1988."

The contact information on the cover might still be good,

One Sealaska Plaza, Suite 201, Juneau, AK 99801
907-463-4844

Not related to killer whales, but worth mentioning are two other videos that Naa Kahidi produced, which round out my favorite three. The Tlingit story "The Box of Daylight" and a Yup'ik story
"Carayak".

These are very well done examples of Alaska Native traditional stories, and watching them is extremely educational.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:02 AM

I wanted to see the Naa Kahidi dancers so badly when I was in Sitka but they didn't have a show that weekend.
I really love the story about how we should always thank our game animals before we kill them. I've heard a couple of different versions corresponding with different groups, but generally it goes like this:
A man goes out in his boat, hunting for salmon/walrus/etc etc. He brings with him plenty of food to eat for the trip, and sure enough he hasn't been out there long when he manages to find a humongous salmon/walrus/ etc etc. While he is hunting it down, he munches away on his food, instead of sharing it with the salmon/walrus etc etc. Furthermore, when he finally catches it, he says not a word but just kills it and hauls it back to his village. They have a feast to celebrate his catch and everyone is happy, but next year the salmon/walrus etc etc don't return and all of the people in the village starve. The lesson is of course that we must pay our respects to that which sustains us.
I think it's a lesson that your average joe American could really stand to learn, don't you agree?

Old 05-01-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
I wanted to see the Naa Kahidi dancers so badly when I was in Sitka but they didn't have a show that weekend.
I haven't seen any of their work since the mid-1990's. My daughter toured with Naa Kahidi for two years when they were performing "Fires on the Water" under the direction of Dave Hunsaker.
Quote:
I really love the story about how we should always thank our game animals before we kill them. I've heard a couple of different versions corresponding with different groups, but generally it goes like this:
A man goes out in his boat, hunting for salmon/walrus/etc etc. He brings with him plenty of food to eat for the trip, and sure enough he hasn't been out there long when he manages to find a humongous salmon/walrus/ etc etc. While he is hunting it down, he munches away on his food, instead of sharing it with the salmon/walrus etc etc. Furthermore, when he finally catches it, he says not a word but just kills it and hauls it back to his village. They have a feast to celebrate his catch and everyone is happy, but next year the salmon/walrus etc etc don't return and all of the people in the village starve. The lesson is of course that we must pay our respects to that which sustains us.
I think it's a lesson that your average joe American could really stand to learn, don't you agree?
I absolutely agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska