Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:41 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,862,582 times

Advertisements

….told me that the best bear defense is a .22 caliber handgun, tennis shoes, and a hiking partner.

Make sure you wear the tennis shoes and when confronted with a bear shoot your hiking partner in the knee and RUN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 PM

811 posts, read 1,318,940 times
I would just kick his azz.

guy fighting bear - YouTube

Old 03-15-2012, 07:25 PM

811 posts, read 1,318,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well the best defense for a charging bear is a hiking partner with really heavy hiking boots you can outrun.

Otherwise I prefer my 12 gauge with slug, double 00 Buckshot, slug in a six shot tube. Only had to use it once in self defense and it worked very well. Have used pepper spray, but a charging bear will knock you into next week before that makes a differance. In the bear is just courious, then a shot of the pepper spray can be pretty effective, but so is a warning shot over the bears head in most cases.

A charging bear can cover 40 feet faster than you can ever imagine, the inertia of a charging bear is a lot more than a can of bear spray can inflict. A large caliber slug may not stop him in his tracks, but it can certainly change his trajectory! I carry a .44 mag, but that is more for the noise factor than stopping a brae dead in its tracks, although it will kill a charging bear, it may not be as immediate as you might wish!

But by far the best defense is being aware of bears in the area and letting them know you're in the area as well! Some supprises aren't always that much fun!
The Brenneke Black Magic Magnum Slugs, are nice but 1-3/8 oz OUCH they kick a little, Muzzle Energy 3014 ft. lbs.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:17 PM

868 posts, read 1,428,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
.....Park Ranger told me that the way you can recognize bear scat is that it smells like pepper and has little bells in it.
OMG, sick, but oh, so funny! xD

Old 03-17-2012, 07:36 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,525,838 times
Quote:
….told me that the best bear defense is a .22 caliber handgun, tennis shoes, and a hiking partner.

Make sure you wear the tennis shoes and when confronted with a bear shoot your hiking partner in the knee and RUN!
Remind me NOT to go hiking with you...

Old 03-17-2012, 12:34 PM

The following is from an Alaska outdoors forum:

From the study it states that handguns had an 84% success rate. From one of Tom Smiths prior reports bear spray was calculated to have a 90% success rate.

In the recent study long arms success rate was 76%. With a difference of 76% and 84% the authors state that there is no stasticical difference between using a long arm or handgun.

Alrighty then, if a 8% variation between long arms and handguns is not stasticically significant then a 6% difference between handguns and bear spray is also not stastically significant.

What is really interesting is that the data set does not include AK DLP data since 2001 due to changes in privacy laws preventing access to the files. Since 2001 the data only includes media articles. A decades worth of data is not included in the study unless it was reported in the media. The study even admits that the media primarily focuses on bear attacks that result in injuries which skews the data set. They cause an eye brow to raise when they discuss the missing DLP data since it will increase the number of dead bears which is a bad thing.

The study is a good case for how to process data from small data sets and how to determine what piece of data matters to the outcome. As for how it quantifies "rifle" "handgun" "bear spray" vs injury it falls short of reflecting the current state of things, but does provide a good base line. In the end it only matters what you are comfortable with and are willing to use.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:42 PM

From the same forum:

I don't believe they looked at all the Data...
I was attacked by a grizzly in 2006, harvested him, tagged him (season was still open), and got a really nice rug as well as the meat offen the carcusss..
Took him at VERY close range with a handgun while trying to take a crap in the woods! First shot at arms length.

I wonder how many bear encounters were listed in the study that got legally tagged instead of DLP?

Old 03-17-2012, 12:53 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Quote:

Ok, that's horrible but it made me laugh hahah.

You better hope to god that your hiking partner doesn't survive or you're going to have some splainin' to do.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:08 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
From the same forum:

I don't believe they looked at all the Data...
I was attacked by a grizzly in 2006, harvested him, tagged him (season was still open), and got a really nice rug as well as the meat offen the carcusss..
Took him at VERY close range with a handgun while trying to take a crap in the woods! First shot at arms length.

I wonder how many bear encounters were listed in the study that got legally tagged instead of DLP?
Tom Smith is quite good at collecting data. He used to have a really good website about bear/human encounters in Alaska for the past 100 years, but maybe he pulled off the Internet months ago. Anyway, when it comes to the outdoors in Alaska, I rely on me and my gun regardless of what the "experts" and their studies say.

By the way, I am certain that Tom Smith would be interested on your bear experience. He is quite a nice fellow who makes great efforts to collect any data he can from people, newspaper stories, F&G, etc.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:28 PM

The post from the Alaska outdoor forum were not mine they are others experience / opinion. Sorry for the confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska