Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:37 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
Please, as a public service, share the details of how you accomplished this.

Silly people want to know.
Dang, must spread the points around and remember to come back and hit ya again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 12:15 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Can't give you any more rep just now either, Jazzy--you either, 1timestar.

Fire camp--I'm familiar with the employee dining room at Princess. Suppose you tell me again how about these options that you're "guessing" exist? And this time, clarify them rather than just taking pot shots at those who have told the OP that it's going to be difficult. Nobody here but Stiff gives much of a damn if someone's a vegan or not, but some of us actually have some knowledge about the place that the OP is asking about.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Pine tree's. Most parts arrrrre edible.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:52 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,687 times
If there is bear pee on a pine tree, would that make it off limits for a vegan? Would it be the whole tree that would be limited, or just the uh, wet part?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:10 AM

3 posts, read 3,963 times
Hey everybody- I appreciate the advice about my diet but veganism is the least of my worries. I do it for health reasons, as opposed to moral ones (not that I don't support those who do!) I'm sure I will have to adjust my diet with the change in climate and surroundings. I was just curious on how strict the resort employee rules are when it comes to employee housing / lifestyle choices. I'm more interested in those aspects, and more importantly, what to bring!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:39 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Es365 View Post
I'm more interested in those aspects, and more importantly, what to bring!
A camera, maybe two!! I'd plan on spending my off time outside taking photos. Lots of photos.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:37 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,754,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Es365 View Post
Hey everybody- I appreciate the advice about my diet but veganism is the least of my worries. I do it for health reasons, as opposed to moral ones (not that I don't support those who do!) I'm sure I will have to adjust my diet with the change in climate and surroundings. I was just curious on how strict the resort employee rules are when it comes to employee housing / lifestyle choices. I'm more interested in those aspects, and more importantly, what to bring!
As a teacher, I spend a good part of my summer in Denali backpacking, camping, & hiking so I am envious!

Number #1 is bring binoculars to view the wildlife. Bring a day pack for hiking. Bring a water container for hiking. Sunglasses.Compass. Bring layers: wool sweater, wool shirt, waterproof breathable jacket, warm socks, hiking shoes,warm hat & gloves, etc. Bring memory cards for your camera. Bring solid mosquito repellent so it doesn't explode in your luggage. Bring your hygiene needs- things are very expensive in the area. Employees get rides to Fairbanks for supplies at some point.

I too am a healthy-food nut. It can be challenging. However, there are ways around it. Even non-instant oatmeal can be reconstructed with only boiling water poured over it; some cooks will gladly bake potatoes in a microwave; lettuce & tomato sandwiches are delicious (especially with a splurge of mayo!). Hope you come back on here in May to let us know how the food is working for you!

What a fun summer!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:46 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Bring what the others advised. Don't bring black socks. Mosquitoes like dark colors and ankle bites are horrific.

Some people think that the rules at employee housing are "strict", but they're mostly just common sense stuff. I'm not sure what you mean by "lifestyle", but if you're gay or lesbian, you likely will not be harassed because of it. If your lifestyle is that of a hard core drug addict, you won't last.

Bongo, fresh vegetables such as lettuce and tomatoes aren't always available in Princess cafeterias, and mayonnaise as well as many commercially prepared breads contain animal products.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Where's Bob when you need him? He's the Denali expert here, and stuff.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:06 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,754,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Where's Bob when you need him? He's the Denali expert here, and stuff.
LOL! Ain't that the truth! Where's Bob?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska