Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 05:01 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,821,950 times

Advertisements

Just watched American Digger. They were in Girdwood metal detecting crow creek. They found some pretty cool stuff and it wasn't laden with a bunch of made up drama. Overall I thought it was a decent show. I'd like to see more of these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 11:56 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,783,915 times
Hello,

Let me introduce myself, my name is Danielle Hurley and I am a producer for a
production company in Los Angeles, Mark Burnett Productions. We produce everything from game shows and documentaries to reality programing. (Mark Burnett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Pleasure to meet you initially over email!

We are trying to get the spirit of Alaska just right it's a 6 series
documentary. The reason I am contacting you is that one of our episodes will focus on those that choose to live somewhat/mainly "off the grid". ****
Further information about the show below…
It would be most appreciated if you could help or just offer any thoughts or suggestions (web sites, people, activities, sites historic/and natural about yourself or other Alaskan's I think it would help make this a truly unique and honest docu-series on Alaska.
****Historically we are also interested in the difficulties that faced the earlier frontiers men and women as well as the difficulties that they face today.

This will be a very respectful and introspective look at Alaska's people. We want to do something different than others. I would really appreciate your help. We really just want to highlight the people overcoming/adjusting and or in harmony with this amazing state in awesome ways and/or if they had to circumnavigate certain things to do so. We want those that live/work in Alaska for the show, sled runners, loggers, oil riggers, workers in ALL aspects (not solely the stereotypical) of alaska to show what it "really" is to the working man/woman in Alaska. The rewards, the trials, the stories.
How hard and how rewarding at the same time. Does that make sense? Anyone interested in becoming involved will help shape the process of this very positive focus on Alaska. This is more "Alaska The People" than anything else. Hope that helps if you think of anyone that might want to be involved!

I know there are a lot of the old stand by's (that are often document because they are so spectacular) so while we want to highlight these Alaskan staples if there is something special or someone special you feel has not been highlighted before I'd love to hear about them. I have a lot of latitude in developing this as it's still in creative all ideas and as I said you will be helping to shape it with your feedback/involvement.

Thank you again and any help you can offer is appreciated! I'll get in touch with any of the people you forwarded me as well. Thank you, thank you!

Best,
Danielle Hurley
Mark Burnett Productions

More about the show:

***Please feel free to forward to anyone you think might be interested in sharing information or perspective on this unique State! Also looking for those that work in the various industries in Alaska. The show is really more about the people of alaska themselves. We want to highlight as well families or groups that have decided to live "off the grid."

Well let me tell you a little bit about the show! The overview is below.
Avenues for highlighting Alaska. I can research and read books (and I am).
But I thought perhaps some personal perspectives could
add some unique ideas as there have of course been many, many Docu-series on
Alaska.

I'd love to take this one to a new level and add more depth and
something different to show a new or different perspectives on Alaska. So I thought the best way to do that would be speaking with those that actually live there and experience the State!
Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

I would appreciate any thoughts you have as I'd love to make this a unique series on this breathtaking State. Thanks very much!

We will most likely be shooting in the summer (just in case their are any unique events or festivals at that time I should make note of. But if it's something truly unique that you think must be captured at a different time of year we could try to come out just to film that as well.) Thanks again!

Best,
Danielle Hurley
Mark Burnett Productions

ONLY IN ALASKA
- Episode Guide -

Show Overview:

For the American public, Alaska represents the physical manifestation of
the American Dream. Much more than a formidable, dangerous and beautiful
locale, Alaska has, throughout history, been a destination for individuals
- real people - in search of personal wealth, self-esteem, and spiritual
fulfillment. In many ways, Alaska is the last frontier for the American
spirit.

Our six-part series will highlight and dramatize the personal stories of
individuals who have traveled to Alaska in an attempt to tame this wild
landscape. These stories will be drawn from the distant and recent past,
as well as from the present. The stories will echo, inform, and heighten
one another, as we will see that the challenges faced by earlier
generations of Alaskans carry on today. More than most places in the
world, and certainly more than almost anywhere else in America, Alaska¹s
elemental challenges remain the same throughout history.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:17 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,731 times
Isn't it against some kind of policy to post private correspondence on the forum without permission from the other party?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:28 PM

Doh.. It is merely the original OP - PROVIDING MORE INFORMATION

No wonder this country is so divided !!

Everyone is just looking for any excuse to gripe and complain.

Last edited by SityData; 03-29-2012 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 01:39 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,376 times
very interesting Sity...

Old 03-29-2012, 04:59 PM

305 posts, read 683,012 times
She'd posted on another Alaska forum and pretty much got the same reaction as here - people who leave society do so to escape what they're seeking to promote. From the sounds of it, the search continues - not because there aren't a lot of people who would jump at the opportunity to be on television, but because they aren't the right folks to perpetuate the myth of Alaska.

How do you film what people see in their dreams, their mind's eye, their imagination? Cameras capture only the reality of the moment, not necessarily the hope and fear of survival, the reward of hard work. It would take years to film and edit a life of living off the grid to really appreciate the struggle and sacrifices to be made, the give and take, the adjustments. How do you convey the loneliness of a winter trapline coupled with storms and frigid temperatures, the constant awareness that you may not have enough fur to pay for your trip to town in spring, much less provide stores for the coming winter. There's no way to film a life in parts and pieces with the hope it will show truly what living in the bush means and costs.

I answered questions about my lifestyle, smiled humbly when Sierra Clubbers and other groups entered my life only to find mink and marten hides strung from wall to wall, a winter's catch just waiting for better prices. After a week or two of visiting and observing, they left with a new understanding of how we live off the land and keep it producing rather than raping the resources and leaving nothing behind. Mainly what I heard at their departure was how much propaganda they'd been fed about how we live up here, that most of what they'd read and been led to believe was inaccurate and outright false.

I get a little bent when people want to know how we do it, want to hear the stories and then decide there's a better way. Well, yes, there's a better way for you but maybe not for me. I like my life, foraging and collecting and being resourceful, matching my wits against nature and the elements and learning that I cannot win, but I can learn to get along. How do you paint a picture of experience when you film for a week or two and then cut and paste the "best parts" into the life you think viewers want to see?

There's a lot the camera won't get that is essential to the why and how of living "off the grid," or in the "bush," and thus reality wouldn't really apply to the finished product. Good luck with that, though. Somebody will have a good time.

Especially the mosquitoes. Every ounce of protection is just steak sauce...

Old 03-29-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post

Especially the mosquitoes. Every ounce of protection is just steak sauce...
I learned how to cope with mosquitoes when working in Valdez. Some of those places we had to work were so infested with them critters. Bug dope don't do squat.

The best stuff in the world to use
; isn't even made for that purpose; But usually it is located in most peoples homes in the laundry room. BOUNCE!

Take a sheet and rub it on your hat. Place a sheet under your hat but leave it sticking out and hanging down (protecting your neck).

Rub a sheet on each arm if your wearing long sleeves (mandantory).

I guarantee you.. WATCH them suckers veer off from 3 feet away. They can't stand the smell of that stuff.!!

Tested and verified by many IBEW union members!!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:06 PM

811 posts, read 1,317,485 times
I wouldn't sell my life story for any money. It is mine and ALL mine.
If I was going to sell my sole I would hang out at strip joints.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
I wouldn't sell my life story for any money. It is mine and ALL mine.
If I was going to sell my sole I would hang out at strip joints.
I'd sell my life story in a heartbeat but the problem is no one would read it.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,628,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
no one would read it.
Playboy has the same problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: