Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 12:08 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

I have this question. Was he killing for sport or for food? If he was killing for sport, the I have no sympathy for Ted Nugent. I am an advocate for hunting, but only as a source of food or to protect your cattle from getting killed.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:09 PM

868 posts, read 1,428,150 times
If I had to bait and kill something to avoid starving, I would do it. But I am pretty sure Ted Nugent was not in danger of starvation, nor are most people who visit our fine state to hunt.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:11 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,255,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have this question. Was he killing for sport or for food? If he was killing for sport, the I have no sympathy for Ted Nugent. I am an advocate for hunting, but only as a source of food or to protect your cattle from getting killed.
He may eat some of his kill, but it is always for sport, nothing more.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
If I had to bait and kill something to avoid starving, I would do it. But I am pretty sure Ted Nugent was not in danger of starvation, nor are most people who visit our fine state to hunt.
True. However, it doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to hunt for food. My philosophy is this. If you go hunting, kill for food. Take your kill, and share with your family and community, or store it for food supply. Native Americans did it that way for years and had plenty to eat for this reason. Ted Nugent is just killing for the shear thrill of killing.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
He may eat some of his kill, but it is always for sport, nothing more.
I suspected as much. Ted Nugent seems to have some big obsession with killing animals for sport. I just had to check this individual case out. It makes me wonder if he would kill people for sport if he was allowed to. It sounds extreme of me to say that, but I just think of his persona and alot comes to the mind.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:15 PM

811 posts, read 1,318,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Your writing is usually quite difficult to follow, which is why I'm asking for clarification. What effect/impact do you think it's going to have on the guides in SE?
I admit I type to fast. People on some of the forums have said that they will look else where to go hunting. "My take is many of them think this law is only in SE AK only, so they are looking for other guides outside SE AK"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Do you think that it's the guides themselves that set policy? Do you think that lower 48 hunting forum commentary is going to have an effect on AK F&G?
Nope the guides don't set the rules or the laws, the AF&G do.

Alot of people from the -48 go to AK to hunt and fish, I don't know the millions of dollars it brings in, but do know many rely on the people from outside AK for income.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Well, I'm pretty sure that Nugent isn't so starved for food that he's got to fly to Native lands to shoot a blackie so he can have some vittles.

I think it was a trophy hunt, though there are people who do eat black bear. I've tried it, not crazy about it, but bear grease does make excellent pie crust.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:17 PM

868 posts, read 1,428,150 times
Quote:
True. However, it doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to hunt for food. My philosophy is this. If you go hunting, kill for food. Take your kill, and share with your family and community, or store it for food supply. Native Americans did it that way for years and had plenty to eat for this reason. Ted Nugent is just killing for the shear thrill of killing.
I agree with you 100%, with one addition: give it to a local food pantry. Many hunters do this, and there were times, when I lived in Missouri, that it was their generosity that put meat on my table.

I did not intend to imply that hunting should be the sole province of the starving; I was speaking to the issue of baiting only, and whether its practice is legitimate.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:20 PM

811 posts, read 1,318,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
You could not have said that better. It always pisses me off every time I hear of someone baiting for dear, bear, anything, well not fish like you said. Baiting is NOT hunting, it's bait and kill.
I don't bait for hunting, I don't see a big deal with it. Baiting stats show that more animals are recovered from clean and fast kills, instead of gut shots that can take days to die and vever found.

But I know many people who do bait. Most of the people I know who bait rely on the food to feed there families not for sport or hunting but for food.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
I agree with you 100%, with one addition: give it to a local food pantry. Many hunters do this, and there were times, when I lived in Missouri, that it was their generosity that put meat on my table.

I did not intend to imply that hunting should be the sole province of the starving; I was speaking to the issue of baiting only, and whether its practice is legitimate.
Now I understand what you're talking about.

I've never been hunting, but I would like to do it someday. I've tasted deer meat(friend of mine gave it to me, helped this college student out). It's pretty good. With ever-increasing prices for beef, hunting sounds like a move viable option.

I have been fishing and eaten the fish. So fresh it was swimming a few hours ago. And it was wild caught in the state of Washington at the time.

Ted Nugent scares me for many reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska