Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,255 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I am a 23 year old pastry cook that is looking to move to Kenai Peninsula. I am well aware that there might not be alot of Pastry Cook/Baker jobs and I might have to work at Safeway but I have wanted to move to AK for years now. I am looking into Soldotna honestly because I have 2 dogs and ... on craigslist...five star realty advertised a "cabin" for rent that allows dogs...that I can afford. I won't really be able to do any "boots on the ground" research which I know just makes me seem naive but oh well. I was just wondering what it is like there? I am pretty set on being there soon and am just a little curious as to what to expect. I am not a bar hopping, binge drinking 20 something like you would think so I don't care if there aren't any clubs or mall, I like my solitude and small towns. I am a hard worker and am looking to start out on my own.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 09:10 PM

36 posts, read 70,204 times
Sounds exciting! I have no clue about that area but sounds like you have a good idea of how to survive and such. Good luck to you man. I on the other hand, was a clueless kid at 21 and decided to join the military because I didn't know what else to do. Ended up working out better than planned (after I got out after 6) but it would have been cool to just get out some place (like AK) and do some growing up on my own. Again, good luck man.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,781,119 times
Grab it. You may have to make concessions job-wise, though you'll probably be able to get work as a pastry chef in seasonal resorts. You'll probably do fine, though, so you should get the cabin while it's available.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:31 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,858,180 times
There are plenty of restraunts and a handfull of bakerys that you might find work at, now that tourist season is upon us many places will be looking for help through the summer.
Will you have a vehicle?

Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 PM

5 posts, read 5,843 times
Go for it! I don't know much about that area but if you have money saved or have a job lined up and know you can afford the rent. Do it!! I wasn't sure what I wanted to do at 23 and now that I'm in my 30's and have a family I am limited as we own a home. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, do it now or you may regret it later in life! If you change your mind you can leave but its worth a try while your young and single!! I am a teacher and went to Alaska last summer. Now I want to move there to but that will be later in my future!

Old 04-28-2012, 09:00 PM

Hey all! Thanks for the support! If anyone out there knows of possible jobs please let me know! I am in the process of applying to a few places but in this field they want proof that you actually know what you're doing; not just a good resume and a couple good references.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
There are plenty of restraunts and a handfull of bakerys that you might find work at, now that tourist season is upon us many places will be looking for help through the summer.
Will you have a vehicle?

I do not yet have a car but my plan is to fly into Achorage and stay there for a couple/few days. Get a car, bed, some supplies then drive down.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:02 PM

How far is Soldontna from Seward? The Seward Windsong would be a good place to look for a job, though it would only be seasonal.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
How far is Soldontna from Seward? The Seward Windsong would be a good place to look for a job, though it would only be seasonal.
Just googled it, 2 hours. DANG IT!

Old 04-28-2012, 10:17 PM

Shoot. I haven't spent much time on the Kenai so I wasn't sure.

Windsong does offer employee housing, so it would be doable to work there and go back to Soldotna on your days off, except the employee housing doesn't accommodate dogs.

You might to take a look here:

Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places | CoolWorks.com

and see if there are any resort jobs in the area you're planning on moving to.

I don't think that work is going to be that tough for you to find. Although I've never worked as a pastry chef on the Kenai, I have in other parts of the state, and usually found myself in a position to be able to pick and choose jobs. But again, since I haven't lived on the Kenai, I can't speak from first-hand experience for that particular area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska