Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:09 PM

353 posts, read 814,587 times

Advertisements

Refer to the other thread titles are there any Latino/Hispanic community in Alaska ..... some of the feed back seems questionable...

Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
Refer to the other thread titles are there any Latino/Hispanic community in Alaska ..... some of the feed back seems questionable...
I imagine that Alaskans are as racist or not racist as the residents of your State (whichever it may be)

Old 06-28-2012, 10:59 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
I took your original question as racist. Who cares if there is a Latino/Hispanic community? Are they too good to mingle with the rest of us old, crusty, lilly white sourdoughs? The segregation of minorities into sub-communities is in and of it's self a racist act.

I don't care who lives next door as long as the keep their effin' dogs and cats outta my yard.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:14 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
I thought this news was very appropriate in relations to racism:
Russia and Spain fined over racist fans at Euro 2012 - New York News | New York Breaking News | NYC Headlines

That over, I agree with Stiff. As long as my neighbors don't give me any kind of hard time and leave me alone when I want to be alone, I don't give a hoot what race or color my neighbors are.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:16 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
No, I think we hate everyone pretty much the same...

The people I hate, is because I know them and they have Rectal Cavities for brains, and spout diarrhea for opinions. What has skin color got to do with being an A$$ anyway? Those guys come in all colors starting in shades of White all the way to Black.

Good prople come in all colors too, so what are you looking for?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
This is a very broad question. Considering that racism involves judging and/or acting against an entire group, it is a little ironic that you would ask whether "Alaskans" as an entire group are racist. Especially since you're asking a question about all Alaskans based on just one post by stiffnecked!

I would say that in general I have encountered more people with openly racist views here than when I lived in the midwest but fewer than when I lived in Texas. Also, of course some people may have prejudices against some groups but not against others, and some people may be big racists but keep it to themselves, or little racists but speak openly. So who can say, really.

I would say that in general people are willing to take a person on his or her individual merits even if they have some prejudiced ideas.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:43 AM

860 posts, read 2,056,595 times
In a word, yes.
We are racist against any yuppie ijit who wants to come up here to instantly build a cabin in the woods and "live off the land" no matter what color. We are racist against all the down souther's who come here with their degrees to tell how....period.
I don't have a problem with the fish processors who have to import workers from Turkey, Mexico or any other country that can't speak English tho, they just want to work for a living - seems nobody here does.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:04 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
We don't segregate ourselves in different neighborhoods for our ethnicities and that seems rascist? I would say, overall that Alaska is very accepting of everybody. In my little hometown we would get excited when someone different moved to town. One year we heard we were getting a black woman as our new teacher and it was cool-she was so loved by all. If we have racism here, it was imported by people from out of state and I can't guesstimate how common that is. Or something taught by our parents. No way of knowing the causation. Why do you think no one was able to answer if we had Latino areas? Everybody is integrated here.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:19 AM

353 posts, read 814,587 times
My question, was simply just that a question....for those that took it as a racial thing its on you.....I,myself am a mixture of many races Spanish included.....and I can speak three different languages... When I was reading what most of you expressed on the thread it seem pretty overly sarcastic and just flat out ignorant.... and you know who you are.... I was raised in a melting pot of different cultures and people,I'm from up north.... Have lived in areas like NYC,Miami,Philadelphia,NJ,and Cali....yea imagine that me trying to segregate myself from people.... Now that I think about it I know there's a good percentage of people that move to Alaska to do just that....to be with wild life and to remove themselves from society....so who's the racist? or person that practices segregation....My question ,was just that, a question I'll repeat this again.... I guess if an out of towner that's from lets say Brazil goes to NYC as ask where there is a Brazilian food market or restaurant he is racist huh? For segregating their self from McDonald or wanted to meet up with his own culture just be able to network somewhat easier.... and this is not to say that a person such as my self would not be willing to learn about new cultures of others native to the lands or many people I don't run into on the regular basis....but this is the reality of these threads and the reactions seem pretty racist... imagine if i would have ask are there black communities in Alaska? Which by the way I am also mixed Black or African American....how ever you prefer... Most of you would flip out I bet.....and for the guy who said he's Samoan or comes from a Samoan community....I can image what the people that where there before them thought of the new Samoans moving in....pretty sad...and not cool... I guess many are back to that whole This is "MY ALASKA" mentally go back to your countries.. Smh.....

Last edited by Outofthematrix; 06-29-2012 at 11:04 AM..

Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
There is only one race, the human race. The scientific classifications in biology are: Division, Kingdom, Phylum/Division, Class, Order, Family, Genus, and Species. There are no sub-species of mammals, all humans are of the same species. "Race" only exists in the irrational minds of bigots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska