Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 12:28 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,330,024 times

Advertisements

About 10 or 12 years ago I saw a video about some new-fangled stove that burned all kinds of trash and garbage, just about anything burnable including pop cans. It was supposed to be extremely efficient and provide a safe and useful alternative to town dumps for villages north of the Arctic Circle. At least one village had one installed in the town hall, I think, and everyone seemed impressed by how well it worked and how warm it kept the building.

Does anyone remember anything like that? Or ever seen one? I'd really like to know what the name of it was, I'm having a 'discussion' with some people who seem to think it's an environmentally unsound idea. They don't quite get that garbage dumps in the Far North aren't like the ones in the Lower 48.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 11:08 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,660,194 times
Here's a starting point for research.

http://www.denali-mwh.com/nsb/brwlf/reports/Final/FinalSection5.pdf (broken link)

That is a report published in 2000, just as the trash burning facility in Barrow was coming on line. It had been installed and tested intensively for 3 or 4 years before all the permits were in place to use it. It is in fact still in use, so there must also be somewhere one or more reports indicating exactly how well it has or has not functioned. My impression (I did a tour of the facility with 40-50 grade school children in September 2006) is that they have been fairly happy with the results.

Here's part of what that URL says,

Quote:
In 1996, an incinerator, or TOS, was installed at the existing
landfill. By December 1999, several test burns had been
conducted of this system. ... Materials such as househol trash,
tires (mounted or not), wood, construction debris, furniture, oil
filters, fish net, absorbent booms and pads, sewage "honey
buckets", used oil, and fish-cleaning wastes can be incinerated.
Glass, metal, and aluminum can be separated from the ash for
recycling or taken with the ash to be landfilled."

Old 03-04-2008, 11:37 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,330,024 times
Thanks. That's similar to the one I saw in the video, but a lot bigger - maybe the one I saw was a test run.

BTW, are you the same one who used to post on the old ACA ng?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska