Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Yes, there are some negative feelings among those in commercial fishing against the Canadians; their habit of salmon farming doesn't help that any...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Even though we share a long land border, there's only 5 points where roads cross that border: Hyder/Stewart, Haines, Skagway, Tok/Beaver Creek and near Chicken. And all these are remote areas...

You'll actually find some contention between us & the Canadians... On the Yukon River, fishing can be severely restricted in years of low runs because a certain of fish are required to be allowed to pass to Canadian waters. And peopling fishing along the Yukon aren't sport fishing... They are getting fish they need to eat during the winter.
And there's been disputes in Southeast over fishing areas and numbers. One year fishing boats in Prince Rupert blockaded the harbor so the Alaskan ferries couldn't port there in protest over fishing numbers.

But I will say this about the Canadians... They put brown gravy on their french fries.... And there is no better way to eat fries than with brown gravy.
One of my travel nurse friends made me try fries with brown gravy they were soooo good!!! I'll definitely give that one to the canucks!

Old 09-17-2012, 05:03 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
One of my travel nurse friends made me try fries with brown gravy they were soooo good!!! I'll definitely give that one to the canucks!
You can give the Canucks credit for Poutine but probably not fries and just gravy. I'm not sure anyone knows who first combined the two but they are a good combination. Been eating fries like that for years.

EDIT: I just read where McD's is delaying another release of the McRib until Christmas. My condolences to Mr. Moose.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
McD's is now putting calories on their menu. If they made fries and gravy that number would have to be in scientific notation...

Fries and gravy - What do they call that in Canada? Heart attack strips?

All kidding aside - seems like anything that tastes really good is bad for you.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
McD's is now putting calories on their menu. If they made fries and gravy that number would have to be in scientific notation...

They call it one of the major food groups. Costco in Prince George used to sell fries & gravy at the deli along with their pizza and hot dogs.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
EDIT: I just read where McD's is delaying another release of the McRib until Christmas. My condolences to Mr. Moose.
Damn

At least I can still go to the Fat Chicken.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:52 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Why can't we have pets like the Canadian's have???

The Only Man In The World Who Can Swim With A Polar Bear - YouTube

Old 09-17-2012, 08:55 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
This was years ago, so take it with a grain of salt: I din't have any trouble whatsoever with Canadians along the ALCAN. The ones I dealt with were very friendly, courteous, and helpful. In fact, one of my daughters and her friend had an accident while driving through Canada near White Horse, and a family took both girls in for two nights, fed them, and took them to the airport days later. That's the sort of Canucs I encountered while traveling through Canada, including Montreal. But over by Quebec (years ago), they didn't even want to speak English even if they were fluent, and were quite stuck-up toward English speaking gringos

Old 09-18-2012, 04:32 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post

No one gets out of here alive so enjoy the ride whilst it lasts!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:55 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
No one gets out of here alive so enjoy the ride whilst it lasts!
True... Although, I am trying to prolong the inveitable a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska