Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:05 PM

276 posts, read 848,582 times

Advertisements

Your friendlieness and helpfullness has helped me decide AK over MT. People on the MT forum are not very friendly, I don't want to move there and live amongst them. Now in 792days 9 hous and 56min I can sell my house. Until then saving and dreaming until I can get there (and narrowing down where I'll end up)

thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 12:28 PM

55 posts, read 358,236 times
Lucky you MAINer!! What type of wrork do you think you be doing? what towns are you looking at?

Old 04-17-2007, 02:59 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
We'll be here!

Old 04-18-2007, 06:53 PM

Well I am in Insurance now but open to other occupations, I've done housekeeping, cashiering, some home health. Hubby cooks. I am looking in the Kenai area, Soldotna maybe. Now that I have decided on AK, it's time to pin point a place, one not to congested

If I could find someone to buy my house now, for about 15k more than it's worth, I'd have left already ( but I don't see that happening)

Old 04-23-2007, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,703 times
[quote=MAINEr;597027]Well I am in Insurance now but open to other occupations, I've done housekeeping, cashiering, some home health. Hubby cooks. I am looking in the Kenai area, Soldotna maybe. Now that I have decided on AK, it's time to pin point a place, one not to congested

If I could find someone to buy my house now, for about 15k more than it's worth, I'd have left already ( but I don't see that happening)[/QUOte

dear mainer
having moved here from maine i can tell you with all honesty it is a great place to live. And the kenai peninsula is a great place to live,. gl on sellin home alaska's waitin

Old 04-23-2007, 05:08 PM

[quote=juanita griffith;616560]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINEr View Post
Well I am in Insurance now but open to other occupations, I've done housekeeping, cashiering, some home health. Hubby cooks. I am looking in the Kenai area, Soldotna maybe. Now that I have decided on AK, it's time to pin point a place, one not to congested

If I could find someone to buy my house now, for about 15k more than it's worth, I'd have left already ( but I don't see that happening)[/QUOte

dear mainer
having moved here from maine i can tell you with all honesty it is a great place to live. And the kenai peninsula is a great place to live,. gl on sellin home alaska's waitin
That's great to hear Juanita, where in AK did you end up? It's is driving me NUTS to have to wait, but hopefully I will be financially ready in 2009

Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 PM

115 posts, read 664,353 times
[quote=MAINEr;616642]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanita griffith View Post

That's great to hear Juanita, where in AK did you end up? It's is driving me NUTS to have to wait, but hopefully I will be financially ready in 2009
One thing I have learned it to NOT wait until you are 'financially ready' because that day will never come. Save up enuf money to last you for your monthly expenses for 2 months, plus your rent and security deposit and take the plunge. We did that with our move to AK and now again with our move out.

No matter where you end up, you will enjoy Alaska immensely, you will find the people friendly and always willing to help (and talk fishing! )

Old 04-24-2007, 12:43 AM

103 posts, read 353,203 times
Cool financial vs. personal preparation

I agree with AKMammabear on the previous post.

If you have the desire to live in Alaska, by all means do it sooner than later - if you are like most people who have moved in from Outside, you will wonder why you didn't do it a long time ago. The rewards of living here far outweigh any financial sacrifices necessary to do so.

But you need to be personally prepared to adapt to the unique environment up here, and I am not just talking about the weather and remoteness.

This forum will point out many of the conditions particular to life in Alaska, but I know that people can romanticize a life for which they are not prepared, and when reality hits they can't hang.

If you really desire the opportunity to 'live' Alaska, do not let money be the thing which delays or prevents the realization of that dream. If you are willing to do what it takes, Alaska will provide all you need and more. Just realize that it is not for everyone . . . thank God for that, too!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:43 AM

Well, it's not financially ready I guess but if I sell my house before I've lived there 5 years I'll have to pay 15k back on an improvement loan I took out, if I stay I won't have to pay it back, hense if i could sell it for 15k more than it's worth I'd already be there. I keep playing the lottery couple bucks a week in hopes that my ship will dock and I can move now but I don't even see that ship on the horizon. Hubby just got a new job so the bills will go down and the savings up.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:49 AM

115 posts, read 664,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINEr View Post
...in hopes that my ship will dock and I can move now but I don't even see that ship on the horizon...
At least you know your ship is on the horizon! Every time the architect gets his pencil to design mine, he breaks the tip of the pencil! Good luck with your endeavours, and again, you will NOT be sorry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska