Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,902,588 times

Advertisements

Hahhaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 03:05 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Made me think of that movie "the grey".
I emagine lakes and rivers are starting to freeze up right about now
My dream of going there is about burned out now , but the fantasy of planning the trip will live on and on.
Please enjoy it some for me will you.
The movie "The Grey" sucked. First, the majority of the movie was not filmed in Alaska. Second, the behavior of the wolves being depicted was sheer fantasy. Third, their survivalist tactics bordered on being hysterical. Overall, it was a very bad movie, and I like Liam Neeson.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM

406 posts, read 755,735 times
This Land ain't no MOVIE!

Old 11-21-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Yea that's the thing about here. There are so many things that can eat you or stomp you etc. It doesn't matter if you are an arctic expert even, things happen. I also read that the area he disappeared into was full of wolves.
Things do indeed happen. However, wolves are unlikely to be a problem for an able adult male this time of year. There is still plenty of food around and they tend to be very wary of humans. Nevertheless, an accidental misstep, hypothermia (in which he should have been well versed), getting stuck in musk keg, an encounter with a bear or moose in September is more likely than wolves. These are just are just some of the problems with hiking alone in the bush.

You can certainly find solitude in Alaska, but that solitude comes with risks. I have been hiking around south-central Alaska for just over 20 years, both alone (except for my dogs) and with friends. There are trails I will not go alone, even armed for bear. There is also terrain I will not attempt to cross if I am alone because the risk of a problem occurring is higher than it is worth the extra time it takes me to go around.

It is great to be confident in one's abilities, but one has to guard against overconfidence, or risk the consequences.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:40 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,516,539 times
There is a whole parade of horribles that can happen if one is alone - much less out in the wild.

I've handled many 'accidental' deaths in the major city I live in. The person was alone and either slipped/fell or had a minor medical problem that became a life ending one, because no one was there to render aid/assistance. Not just with the infirmed either.

We can discuss the possibilities all day long and until the person is found (alive or dead) -- we won't know what happened.

I am not saying that this discussion of the hazards of being alone and in the wilds of Alaska is not beneficial... As always I learn something from this forum.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:53 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
He's dead.

Fella I knew in Michigan used to cut across the lake in the wintertime on foot; left the car at the bar.

Walk a mile and a half across the ice or drive four and risk a DUI.

Missing for 2 months, someone found his body in March when things started to thaw.

Can't even fathom what it's like in the back country in Alaska.

Those artesian springs will getya every time......so will grizzlies, wolves, cold, etc.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:54 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
Yes, grizzlies are a very serious danger in the winter months, lol

Old 11-22-2012, 02:26 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Good point Although the brown bears are out late down in the Kenai Peninsula this year.

Trappers mauled by bear near Kenai River | Peninsula Clarion

Old 11-22-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
He has been missing for two months, which means since at least October. There are lots of bears around in October. Just ask those who pick berries that time of year.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 PM

406 posts, read 755,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
He has been missing for two months, which means since at least October. There are lots of bears around in October. Just ask those who pick berries that time of year.

Spoken like a true Southerner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska