Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times

Advertisements

You know, if you really want to go to work you should just stick out your thumb and go. I know several young men who have done just that. If you are a worker you will get work. You might have to get a job on a charter until you get your dream job. You might have to work for 6 months flipping burgers until you work your way up. If you plan to go somewhere and get your dream job than you aren't really ready enough. You might get it, and you might not. But if your are serious about it you will eventually get there. Don't let some small setbacks hold you back. If you can hold a job then go for it. If you can't hold a job where you are now than it won't be any better by heading to Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Well Mr. Toolman all of those charter fishing boats hire deckhands. Maybe it's time for you to do you own research..
What he said.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:04 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxboy99 View Post
nor am i trying to go on a fishing charter lol. yeah right. good joke. i'm not some tool that needs a charters. i'm a fool that wants to work! not go on some "fishing charter"
Right now I seem to recall that you have no deckhand experiance. Any of those jobs would pay some of your bills and if you have a good crew, they can teach you the deck seamanship you need on the bigger boats. Job on a boat is a job. Learning the language of the "Deck" is a really big plus if you have a couple other guys that know what being on a boat is like verses you knowing nothing...they will get the job over you. Warp was basically giving you a list of places to start, maybe it's not your cup of tea, but that season is getting started pretty soon so that would get you though the summer and then you have some sea time under your belt and can go talk with the crabbing boats.

With no experiance, you chances are slim at best, and working charters isn't that bad of a gig. You'll also find out if you get seasick or not. Sounds kind of stupid, but some people can't handling a rolling boat at all, you may or may not be one of those types. Be a shame that you get hired to find out that they have to drop you off somewhere because you can't develope a good set of "Sea Legs" and your dream goes out the window.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:12 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
You'd get more answers here, in W-a-s-h-i-n-g-t-o-n. Not A-l-a-s-k-a.

//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...boat-jobs.html

Old 10-17-2013, 11:08 AM

127 posts, read 209,512 times
Thank you for all the insight and info. I'm back from from my summer job in Sitka. I was salmon tendering all over the SE. then when that was over i tried work at the SPC working the floor, but that work is the worse. and you really don't make a lot. SPC was having use work 16hrs on and 8 off. It was crazy, I wasn't there for that type of work so i finished up the week and flew back home. On 2nd thought i should have stayed w a friend i had there instead of leaving sitka but i wan't to come home to NY. I have family from Holland comeing to the state to Caps Cod , Ma. SO since i had a few bucks i came back home and rode my bike out there. In all my research i knew cape had a lot of fishing and deckhand work so while i was there i went and stomped the docks in Wellfleet and Provincetown making connection and talking to different people. I'm looking to head back up there some how or another for work. I miss it a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska