Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2007, 09:07 PM

75 posts, read 347,791 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I'm new to the forum, but have been reading posts for the last couple of weeks. I'm not very happy where i live. I don't know if it would be any different any place else. I lived in Alaska many years ago when i was a teenager and only for a short time. My family conditions were not ideal, but I was always in awe of the scenery. I lived in Wasilla.
I have this urge to get on the highway and keep going untill I hit Alaska. My husband wouldn't mind either. I don't know how my kids would feel about it. I have had this urge for quite some time, but it comes and goes. I keep looking up Talkeetna, and this was before I just happened to find Richard Leo's book on Alaska in a used book store. Although the Sterling area looks nicer every time I see pictures of it. I'm not sure where the fault line is. Do you get many earthquakes there?
It seems I keep getting signs, but am afraid to act on them. My husband has worked construction in FL for many years, he was a block mason and we had a lawn service for a while. We currently own a grooming and boarding facility. I don't know if there is much of a demand for that in AK.
Anyway I would like to feel like part of a community. Where I live now you have to belong to a church to be excepted. I have no problem with faith, but for my own personal reasons I am against organized religion. I don't know if anyone can help and I really don't expect any miracles, but I wanted to put out my opinion and see what comes up. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions in the future as long as I'm not outcasted for my religious beliefs or unbeliefs.
Thanks for listening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 10:48 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
There are fault lines all over the state. We get a few tremors everyday...most you'll never feel. www.aeic.alaska.edu/Seis/recenteqs/index.html has an hour by hour up-date of the earthquakes in Alaska.
Around here...your religion does not seem to matter to most. As long as your an honest law abiding citizen...you'll get along with everybody.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:40 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,306 times
It is human life. We are blown upon the world; we float buoyantly upon the summer air a little while, complacently showing off our grace of form and our dainty iridescent colors; then we vanish with a little puff, leaving nothing behind but a memory--and sometimes not even that. I suppose that at those solemn times when we wake in the deeps of the night and reflect, there is not one of us who is not willing to confess that he is really only a soap-bubble, and as little worth the making.
- Mark Twain's Own Autobiography (North American Review, May 3, 1907)

Cheer up GSD101 , I'm not in The Big Land now but Rances advice says it well. Sounds like ya have a bit of pressure where ya are now.

Maybe its time for a BREAK FROM IT THERE.

THAT URGE you have is something inside that is trying to tell you something.

That dosent happen a lot in life , might want to heed that inner voice , I am cause its getting louder and louder.

Last time I flew to Alaska as I entered the valley I felt this weight off my shoulders. That special thing that wants and craves freedom from all...

""To accept a faith just because it is customary, means to be dishonest, to be cowardly, to be lazy. And do dishonesty, cowardice, and laziness then appear as the presupposition of morality?""

""

Old 02-11-2007, 08:46 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I do remember in Wasilla we had a couple of aftershocks. One of them I was in school and they had us get under the desks. I wonder if that would have helped if anything bad happened.
Manmountain--such beautiful words. I'm going to start working on breaking my chains.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain View Post
It is human life. We are blown upon the world; we float buoyantly upon the summer air a little while, complacently showing off our grace of form and our dainty iridescent colors; then we vanish with a little puff, leaving nothing behind but a memory--and sometimes not even that. I suppose that at those solemn times when we wake in the deeps of the night and reflect, there is not one of us who is not willing to confess that he is really only a soap-bubble, and as little worth the making.
- Mark Twain's Own Autobiography (North American Review, May 3, 1907)

""
Manmountain, a bubble is a very delicate balance of apposing forces. That level of balance is rare at best. Then to be aware of it is grace itself.
M.T. also said in short," Be loyal to your country not to those who run it."

Old 03-11-2007, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,293 times
Smile Move to Alaska can be an adventure...

Hello GSD101:

Having made the trek to Alaska myself back in 1974, I can understand your considerations. That was quite a move for this California girl and one that I have never regretted. Although we left Alaska several years ago mainly due to our wishing to live in a milder climate, both my husband and I agree that our years in Alaska were ones we will always treasure. And since we leave behind family in Anchorage, Wasilla and Fairbanks, we will be drawn back there for visits.

I think that Alaska offers many opportunities and adventures for a young family. You do not say what type of work you would be seeking or the ages of your children. If you are resourceful and willing to be flexible, finding employment should not be more difficult than elsewhere providing you are living near one of the more populated areas. Living expenses may be higher than you are used to, but probably not that much higher and Alaskan wages offset that for the most part. Write your Chambers of Commerce to get current data on that info for the areas you are interested in. You can probably even request info online. Re your children, the younger they are, the easier the move, I'd suspect.

Re Talkeetna: We are very familiar with that area having owned a cabin and ten acres on the road system there for twenty years. We've spent many wonderful times there. However, would think that earning a living there would not be easy as there is really little there other than seasonal jobs and a few governmental support jobs (trooper, librarian, school, health clinic, for examples). Talkeetna is about 60 miles from Wasilla where there is a lot more and 100 miles from Anchorage which has become just like any other big city. Wasilla has grown a lot too, but still maintains some of the charm you seem to remember.

Re Sterling: Since we spent 19 years on the Kenai Peninsula (namely in Soldotna), we are also very familiar with Sterling as it is a mostly undeveloped outer lying community to Soldotna. We found the Kenai Peninsula to be a wonderful place to live and raise a family. Small enough to retain that Alaskan feel, but large enough to offer many of the amenities of an established community. Very low crime and excellent schools. Winters are typically mild.

If your family is in agreement for the trek to Alaska, I think you will not be disappointed so long as you go armed with the facts and resources you will need to get established. Since I don't know where you are living now, it is hard for me to imagine what you might be moving from. Also, we believe those who most enjoy outdoor pursuits find Alaska agreeable.

Life is to be lived and adding a little spice and adventure along the way can be a good thing. If you are properly prepared for the move, I don't see how you can lose. If you find you don't care for staying there, well then, you just plot your next adventure somewhere else. At least that is our philosophy and it has served us well so far. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2007, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,293 times
Default Religion

Oh, forgot to address your religion queries. You will find all kinds of people in Alaska, some very fundamental and some very radical. We never attended a specific church even though I have many good friends who did. This was never an issue in my friendships and I don't think you will feel ostracized for not joining up. Interestingly, I see that more where we are living now. Well, I just don't let it be my problem.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:42 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,851 times
RE: religion in AK: Even though I'm not in the area you are thinking of moving to, I also find there is a lot of variance in religion here. You will probably find there is a "set" of regular churchgoers and those that are more relaxed. I do not attend church at all, for similar reasons to yours GSD101...and have no problem finding people to hang out with and be friendly with. Some of my friends are those who are churchgoers too; many people have a "live and let live" attitude here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska