Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:41 AM

7 posts, read 6,560 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am a 26 years old metal fabricator from Finland and I have been seriously thinking about moving out of Finland and the whole Europe due it being a sinking ship. I was just wondering if you fair people from Alaska could give me some pointers and honest answers if its possible or if I'd be a good fit there.

I am generally a pretty big USA fan from childhood cartoons to old US rock bands to my precious Harley Davidson. I read, write and speak english good and had no problems communicating with people from everywhere in online games for example.

Climate is no problem as winters and all phenomenoms there are a regular thing for me. I live in a town with 2500 people in it and I have a hermit nature even though I live with my fiancee and two kids.

I have served finnish army and I really love guns but getting them here is next to impossible.

I currently operate a laser cutter and previously a water cutter, those trades common there?

Few big question marks for me are insurances, schooling and medical/hospital costs.

Thanks for taking the time to read :]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 12:10 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
I've got some friends here from Finland that are a part of this group: Anchorage Suomi Finland Club - Home

Old 12-14-2015, 12:16 PM

Interesting. I need to look at that with a more keen eye tomorrow.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:59 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
I would say that in general yes, you very well might be a good fit here, but if you're looking to escape a sinking ship, Alaska is not the place to come. Our economy is in deep, deep trouble because of the price of oil (90% of our state budget is derived from the oil & gas industry), and as you are very likely aware, the steel industry and the price of steel are both very closely tied to oil & gas.

This is from this morning's paper:

Walker looks at borrowing to balance state budget | Alaska Dispatch News

And here is a recent piece:

Alaska governor proposes to fix budget deficit with income tax, PFD cut | Alaska Dispatch News

I would think very, very hard about bringing a family to Alaska in this economic climate.

Here are couple interesting links.

Alaskan Unemployment Rates:

Research and Analysis Home Page- Department of Labor and Workforce Development

Relocating to Alaska link. Lots of great information on cost of living: food and utilities, rental costs, home purchase prices, CPI, fuel, etc.

Relocating to Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorNorthman View Post
Hello everyone. I am a 26 years old metal fabricator from Finland and I have been seriously thinking about moving out of Finland and the whole Europe due it being a sinking ship. I was just wondering if you fair people from Alaska could give me some pointers and honest answers if its possible or if I'd be a good fit there.

I am generally a pretty big USA fan from childhood cartoons to old US rock bands to my precious Harley Davidson. I read, write and speak english good and had no problems communicating with people from everywhere in online games for example.

Climate is no problem as winters and all phenomenoms there are a regular thing for me. I live in a town with 2500 people in it and I have a hermit nature even though I live with my fiancee and two kids.

I have served finnish army and I really love guns but getting them here is next to impossible.

I currently operate a laser cutter and previously a water cutter, those trades common there?

Few big question marks for me are insurances, schooling and medical/hospital costs.

Thanks for taking the time to read :]

Old 12-15-2015, 07:42 AM

Do you think this will be better in five or ten years? My goal would've been to move somwhere around five years or so.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:53 AM

The cost of living in Finland now is way higher than in Alaska though. About 900 dollars per month for food costs alone with a salary less than half in there. Housing is about the same. Cars are only quarter of cost and fuel nearly three times more expensive here. To top that all income tax of about 17-20% out of every penny earned.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:58 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Do you think this will be better in five or ten years? My goal would've been to move somwhere around five years or so.
Probably not, though we may still be in better shape economically than most states in the country, and countries in the world.

With your skills, I would look at the mining industry. If you were able to land a job with a mine, you would most likely get good health care benefits, a good salary, and live like a King compared to Finland.

Good luck.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:01 AM

I have pondered about mining here as well so not entirely out of question. We have a chrome mine here and several orher mines in 200 mile radius. Thanks for tip

Old 12-15-2015, 12:10 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
Quote:
The cost of living in Finland now is way higher than in Alaska though. About 900 dollars per month for food costs alone with a salary less than half in there. Housing is about the same. Cars are only quarter of cost and fuel nearly three times more expensive here. To top that all income tax of about 17-20% out of every penny earned.
I am aware of the high cost of living, fuel and income tax in Finland... just giving you the facts. Also, healthcare here is very, very expensive in Alaska. Someone else posted some information on that the other day... maybe that person will see this and repost the information.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:02 PM

No I get it and its always better to be safe than sorry. So different jobs have different benefits that might make life a lot more easier there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska