Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 04:50 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

I wrote the original theme ("Spooky Rag") in 2007 as part of a standard Rag in straight time and decided to add a few swing variations several years latter. I then added a country swing, jazz swing, and a 12/8 swing variation. Except in the 12/8 swing variation, the speed (175 bpm) and chords are exactly same, in 8/8 time. The 12/8 variation I had to slow it down to 115 bpm, but otherwise kept everything the same.

Variations on an Alaskan Spooky Rag in Cm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:18 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
I don't know, sounded a lot more upbeat than spooky...

Although the spooky cave looked like a grizzly standing up!

Old 04-22-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I don't know, sounded a lot more upbeat than spooky...

Although the spooky cave looked like a grizzly standing up!
Really? It is rather fast paced, but minor keys usually evoke a more dramatic, sad/mournful, uneasy or scary emotion.

I appreciate the comment. Based upon the views and number of responses, I would have to say that most either do not care for Ragtime, this particular piece, or a combination of the two. I had fun writing this piece as an intellectual exercise, but that does not necessarily make it good piece or entertaining.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:45 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Really? It is rather fast paced, but minor keys usually evoke a more dramatic, sad/mournful, uneasy or scary emotion.

I appreciate the comment. Based upon the views and number of responses, I would have to say that most either do not care for Ragtime, this particular piece, or a combination of the two. I had fun writing this piece as an intellectual exercise, but that does not necessarily make it good piece or entertaining.
It was catchy and had a nice tone to it, but not spooky to me anyway. Now Phantom of the Opera, was kinda spooky, even the old B/W Dracula movies were pretty spooky!

Be great though for a youtube type video background video of sorts, with a little action or comedy in it IMHO...

Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
It was catchy and had a nice tone to it, but not spooky to me anyway. Now Phantom of the Opera, was kinda spooky, even the old B/W Dracula movies were pretty spooky!

Be great though for a youtube type video background video of sorts, with a little action or comedy in it IMHO...
More of a Buster Keaton or Keystone COPs type of music. Interesting. Thanks for the feedback, it is good to know how other people perceive things.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 PM

I would just like to point out to the 100+ viewers who chose not to leave a comment that when it concerns music there is no such thing as a "correct" or "wrong" opinion. The purpose of music is to evoke an emotion in its listener. The musician may strive to achieve a desired emotional effect, but it is entirely up to the listener to determine whether or not the musician achieved their goal.

Starlite9 comments tells me that I was unsuccessful in conveying that "spooky" feeling. Minor keys can be used to convey a lot of different emotions. The same is also true for major keys, but major keys tend (but not always) to evoke a more positive or happy emotion. While minor keys express more of a sad or melancholy mood.

My next piece is in a major key, but entire composed of dominate seventh chords. It is entitled: Alaskan Break-Up Blues. It is a standard twelve-bar blues with piano, acoustic guitars, acoustic bass, and a brush set. The music is done, I just need more muddy pictures from Alaska to include in the video.

Blues and boogie are my forte, I just dabble with rag and stride piano.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:56 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I wrote the original theme ("Spooky Rag") in 2007 as part of a standard Rag in straight time and decided to add a few swing variations several years latter. I then added a country swing, jazz swing, and a 12/8 swing variation. Except in the 12/8 swing variation, the speed (175 bpm) and chords are exactly same, in 8/8 time. The 12/8 variation I had to slow it down to 115 bpm, but otherwise kept everything the same.

Variations on an Alaskan Spooky Rag in Cm
I like Version 5 the best... I loved the music and the different views of Alaska. I did hear the minor keys but I found myself enjoying it quite a bit actually... thanks for sharing

I watched Pepe the movie again... I find that so fascinating how he gets in, helps you with pest control and then moves back out.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
I like Version 5 the best... I loved the music and the different views of Alaska. I did hear the minor keys but I found myself enjoying it quite a bit actually... thanks for sharing

I watched Pepe the movie again... I find that so fascinating how he gets in, helps you with pest control and then moves back out.
Thank you for your comment. The fifth variation reminds me of a Cab Calloway song from the early 1930s, like Minnie the Moocher.

Swing has a tendency to get the foot tapping.

Peppe has not been back since last Thanksgiving. I no long have the mouse problem I had last winter.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:42 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,714 times
OMG.. I remember that song and this actually... trying to remember what movie it was in Do like big band.. of course I like all types of music...
MINNIE THE MOOCHER Lyrics - CALLOWAY

Go figure.. you can use it as a ring tone too... hehehe...

So glad you captured Pepe on video then. Somethings just need to move on with their life and he just shared a bit of his with you to help you out

Thanks again for sharing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska