Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:34 PM

7 posts, read 11,852 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

We are a family from Anchorage. The first time we went to Palmer, we fell in love with the place and we are about to make an offer on a new construction house there. This will be our primary residence. The area is in N Denali St. Palmer AK and there is a railroad (track) in front of the house. We were informed that this railroad is no longer used but we would like to know if there is a plan to re-use this railroad in the future.
Does someone know? Kindly help please?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 11:55 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,644,626 times
I'm pretty sure the railroad has completely abandoned them. They originally went up to the Sutton for hauling coal. But they haven't been used in decades. The rail bed north of Palmer are completely obliterated in areas.
There's been talk of restarting the coal mines at Wishbone Hill by Usibelli, and using the tracks was mentioned. If I remember right, the railroad said it would cost way too much to rebuild the line.
I know the City of Palmer was trying to get the railroad to turn the right away over to them, but I don't remember the outcome...
So I think you are safe. But you might have your Realtor double check that. And if you are not working with a Realtor, you should be. As the buyer you pay nothing for it. Their commission comes out of the seller's Realtor's commission.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:59 AM

Thank you so much AKStafford. I have been searching online for news or any information about this but I have nothing. Your input helps a lot. I hope you are 100% correct.
Yes, we are currently working with a realtor.
We can't wait to be residents of Palmer.
God bless!

Old 06-06-2013, 05:14 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,058,377 times
I don't think it has been completely abandoned. I believe it still belongs to the Ak rail road. But I don't know of any plans to use it in the foreseeable future. I don't think the rail road will release it to the city. It is very rare for the rail road to release any of their rights of way. I have sold several properties over the years next to the railroad and currently have a property pending right near Denali next to the rail road. Buyers are generally willing to risk the chance that someday there may be an active rail road there...it's a small risk.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:24 PM

15,782 posts, read 9,612,180 times
If there are tracks still on the ground, I'd say they could be used. There are cases through the country where this has happened. And most of the time, real estate agents tell the buyers the tracks are officially abandoned. There have even been times when a track has gone rails to trails only to go to rails again. Not saying this could happen in your case, but, well, it could happen!

I'd actually prefer a running railroad in my yard than an abandoned railroad.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:15 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,558,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
If there are tracks still on the ground, I'd say they could be used. There are cases through the country where this has happened. And most of the time, real estate agents tell the buyers the tracks are officially abandoned. There have even been times when a track has gone rails to trails only to go to rails again. Not saying this could happen in your case, but, well, it could happen!

I'd actually prefer a running railroad in my yard than an abandoned railroad.
It has happened here. Until the tracks are removed - and even then...

Old 06-06-2013, 10:33 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,058,377 times
Yes, until the railroad abandons the right of way it can always come back.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:25 AM

oh my! this is scary. where can we go to inquire about this? please help.
and by the way,,, thank you for all your responses...i am very concerned.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:05 AM

i have a link here. can anyone please read this resolution and kindly explain if this pertains to the railroad tracks facing N Denali St. Thank you so very much!
http://www.cityofpalmer.org/vertical...ploads/018.pdf

Old 06-07-2013, 01:05 PM

15,782 posts, read 9,612,180 times
A search on Railpictures.net still shows trains running in Palmer. It appears you are on a branch off the main line and that trains still run on that branch, though not as far as as you are located. A recent case in North Carolina had a new development up in arms. The developer assured them that the tracks still on the ground were abandoned, hadn't see use since the 1980s and would never be used again. He was right about not having been used since the 1980s, wrong about everything else. A new railroad came to town and now trains are running again. The folks in the development really have no one to blamebut themselves asthey should have done their own homework and not relied on the people who were trying to sel them homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska