Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 02:21 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times

Advertisements

As mentioned rain gear and layers. A lot of people wear Helly Hansen, but I have light-weight rain gear that I wear over layers. During winter (not raining), I will put on a down coat, but if it's mixed rain/snow, I'll wear something more waterproof. For boots, Boggs are popular as they fit women feet and calves better, unlike Xtra-Tuffs which are made more for men. As I recall, North Face was popular with teens, when my kids were that age. I don't know what's popular now though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 11:47 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
The weather is terrible like 90% of the time, it rains constantly or at the very least is constantly overcast. I have been there a few times and talked to some locals in the bar and rent there is sky high, I can only imagine real estate is just as high. The only industry there I know of is the air port and fishing and then those that support them (a doctor, lawyer, a few restaraunts, etc). There is summer time tourism.

The weather there killed it for me, it is absolutely awful.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:14 AM

284 posts, read 404,629 times
Update for ya vivvers--its 9 a.m. and 46 degrees on our porch thermometer. Been raining fairly regularly for the past few days and not getting to 50 degrees. Upside is not getting colder than 40 at night! Did have a brown bear in the garbage can two days ago--what a mess! I've been reading posts now and then..you don't need a passport for the ferry but you do need a vet. certificate of health if you bring a pet. Hope you've had some luck with housing--there are places for rent that look pretty decent but most are about a grand/month. We pay 1800 but that includes all utilities except cable. (And a view to die for!)
We came back up with Verizon for cellphones and works fine here--not one prob. in 7mths. Wireless thru GCI. We live 5 miles north of downtown and have had no problems with any of our gadgets. FYI--might be a good idea to get your winter/raingear down your way cause its a bit spendy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska