Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 01:04 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times

Advertisements

Just $10,000? Should be higher and in every state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 01:14 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,387,035 times
Several years ago, prior to the texting laws in AZ, my secretary's best friend (a 20-something) was texting and driving. She crossed the centerline and two lanes, caused pileups on both sides of the road. She hit a pole and spun out, totaling her car and breaking more than 20 bones in her body. She spent a year in the hospital (I'm sure THAT bill was higher than $10,000 per day.)

The parents of all her friends and schoolmates made sure each of those kids went to the hospital to visit her. They wanted to imprint it in their little noggins how dangerous distracted driving is (as well as provide support to the girl and her family.) As a result my secretary has become an evangelist for no distracted driving. Her friend is out of the hospital now, but will never be the same. Broken bones heal, but shock and trauma, joint pains, and the guilt associated with all the damage she did will live with her forever. I've suggested to her that she volunteer to do some PSA's, but she's too embarrassed and ashamed. I hope she'll change her mind soon.

Problem is, kids think they are immortal and unbreakable.
When an ADULT texts? Throw the book at'em.

And texting while walking is just dumb... Texting while walking claims another victim, woman falls off pier

Old 10-26-2013, 01:21 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
Alaska has basically criminalized distracted driving if it happened during property damage, injury, or death. I always thought that Canada had tougher traffic laws that the U.S. I'm surprised in Canada it doesn't involve some sort of public whipping and a permanent revocation of your driver's license. As an example, when I was in Ontario they had a huge billboard on the Queen's Royal Highway that speeding 30KMH or more above the limit has a $10k fine and permanent revocation of your driver's license.

Anyways, at least in AK they added the ability to look at a GPS map and car gauges. At first I was a little worried. The way it was worded in the beginning my truck and car's dashboard were illegal. Neither of them have analog gauges, they use a video screen to display vehicle metrics. (Temp, Speed, Fuel level, etc..) And a video screen to display radio, HVAC,and other interior controls... Both have text-to-speech abilities, not that use them. I don't text and drive anyways.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:39 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
Dakster:

Just a slight correction if you don't mind ......... it is the Queen Elizabeth Way, which first opened in 1939, as the first "limited access highway in North America ". We shorten that to "the QEW".

Re speeding above the 100 kph limit in Ontario.

Link :Driving the Speed Limit

We save the whipping and salt in the wounds for the really serious offenders ( grin ) .

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:42 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Doesn't matter; if it's my kid or other loved one you kill because you're too goddamned dumb to to refrain from texting and driving, you won't be needing that 10K anyway.
Pretty much what I was thinking.

I'd a whole lot rather some idiot paid $10K than me or someone I love pay with their life because of some fool's complete lack of brains.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Dakster:

Just a slight correction if you don't mind ......... it is the Queen Elizabeth Way, which first opened in 1939, as the first "limited access highway in North America ". We shorten that to "the QEW".

Re speeding above the 100 kph limit in Ontario.

Link :Driving the Speed Limit

We save the whipping and salt in the wounds for the really serious offenders ( grin ) .

Jim B.

Toronto.
Sounds good to me. No problem for the slight corrections.

Apparently, my memory fails me, $10k fine, 6 months in jail, for 50KMH (which is 30 MPH) over the speed limit.

And yes Dale Cooper-- I'd rather take someone to jail or hand them a $10k ticket then to have to knock on someone's door to tell them a loved one was killed.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:20 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,628,940 times
A couple walking their dog in a neighboring town were killed by a drunk driver Friday evening (leaving behind 3 teenage daughters). The driver was arrested for drunk driving in the same town earlier this year. The only thing that will stop people from driving wrecklessly is to stop letting them drive anymore after the first time they're caught.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:29 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
A couple walking their dog in a neighboring town were killed by a drunk driver Friday evening (leaving behind 3 teenage daughters). The driver was arrested for drunk driving in the same town earlier this year. The only thing that will stop people from driving wrecklessly is to stop letting them drive anymore after the first time they're caught.
Amen!

I have ZERO tolerance for impaired driving. What a horribly sad story.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Unfortunately, I know too many people that still drive with revoked licenses. But I get your point and can't say that I disagree with it.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:32 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,422,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Just $10,000? Should be higher and in every state.
Even the death penalty isnt enough to stop some people from doing things. A $10,000 fine wont stop people either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska