Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 12:23 PM

284 posts, read 404,629 times

Advertisements

We know a couple young fellows here that are stuck living in a van, cant find any long term work. There are skilled jobs here but that doesn't include general labor. We feed them dinner when we are able and to get them out of the chill once in a while. Not that's its super cold--its like 30 here with snow today. But, I think it sucks to be in their shoes. They aren't bad guys or dope smoking fools or any of that. They had a pipe dream that didn't pan out. They did work some when the boats were out fishing but made enough to get by on. We have offered to pay half the ferry ticket to get back to the lower 48 but they are proud and don't want "the charity'" yet wind up eating at the local salvation army place once a day. I have slipped them a few bucks here and there--the old lady doesn't care cause we agree that we'd want to run the heater once in a while! They are lucky the laundrymat here has showers also. Its sort of sad.
We moved back to AK. cause we love it, can afford it and had everything lined up 4 mths prior to coming back. But, I'm older now and might have done the same thing 30 yrs ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 12:51 AM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times
I actually laughed out loud reading the original post. I think he's trolling. Anyhow, in regards to the above post ^^ and the gentlemen who cannot find work but want to, that's just sad. It's become all too common in these screwed up times. There is not a lot of opportunity right now, and it's very concerning. I have only collected unemployment one time in my life, and it was for like a month or something (I've been unemployed more than that but by choice and with savings), but I shudder to think of how I would feel if I had no savings left and couldn't find work. The thought is almost too much to bear, and the reality I'm sure is much worse.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:13 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
While there are jobs available around Fairbanks and Anchorage, these jobs are mostly part time. It means that most job seekers must be willing to work more than one job to survive.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-01-2013 at 02:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska