Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 05:45 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times

Advertisements

As a result of the FAA ruling on civilian drones last week (FAA proposes widespread civilian drone use in US airspace by 2015 ? RT USA), I began thinking of some of the areas where they may be applied. One possibility that occurred to me would be to assist hunters. Now I am aware that Alaska hunting regulations prohibit hunting on the same day that the plane as landed. However, if the hunter never leaves the ground, but uses a UAV to spot game, would that be in violation of the regulations?

The Keii UAV includes a thermal imager, and a range of 5 miles. Built in self-stabilization make it very easy to fly.

The INFOTRON, IT180 is powered by a 46cc two-stroke engine and can carry a 5 kg (11 pounds) payload, plus it includes a gyro-stabilized camera (daylight optics, infrared, or dual optical sensor) with a 36x zoom. It is also much more stable in high winds and rain, with a range of 10 km (6.2 miles).

The AirRobot, AR100B, includes infra-red and low light cameras and a maximum payload of 200 grams (0.5 pounds). It is almost completely silent, and has a range of 5,000 feet for a duration of 28 minutes. It is also the cheapest of the three UAVs costing around $2,380.80.

All three of these UAVs could prove very useful to a hunter, particularly with infra-red or thermal sensors. However, should hunting with drones be allowed in Alaska?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 06:45 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
Forget the law, isn't that considered cheating?

If I gotta catch something to survive, you take whatever advantage you can get though.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:56 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,990 times
Should UAV's be legal?

HELL NO!

Would they be effective?

Absolutely.

Will ADFG act before someone has success with one?

Good question.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:19 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
As long as my own government does not use them to find and shoot at me I'm game!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 AM

Too late Rance. They already do.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:09 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Well I haven't been hit yet so I guess they missed! I think using drones would be beneficial for locating and counting herds, maybe even driving herds what ever they might be. I would hate to see anyone using them for actual hunting tho.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 AM

You use them for hunting by having them locate the herd for you. Isn't that why hunting the same day you flew in is illegal?

Locally, they are not armed - just used to locate.

I agree that an armed UAV would be scary.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Forget the law, isn't that considered cheating?

If I gotta catch something to survive, you take whatever advantage you can get though.
Why would it be cheating?

Do you use a rifle to hunt? Is that considered cheating?
Do you use a scope on your rifle to hunt? Is that considered cheating?

The reason why I brought up hunting with a UAV is because Alaska regulations prohibit flying, landing, and hunting on the same day. I am not entirely certain what the reason is behind the law, but presumably it was to prevent hunters from using aircraft to target their prey, landing, and then killing their prey on the same day. If that was the purpose behind the law, then it needs to be expanded to include prohibiting UAVs from doing the same thing.

If that was not the purpose behind the law, then perhaps UAVs should be allowed to spot game. As AK76 posted, it could certainly prove to be very effective.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
You use them for hunting by having them locate the herd for you. Isn't that why hunting the same day you flew in is illegal?

Locally, they are not armed - just used to locate.

I agree that an armed UAV would be scary.
That is the question I would like answered. I do not know the intent behind the regulation that prohibits landing and hunting on the same day. It could be something with a lot of careful thought behind the regulation, or it could be petty legislation enacted because some Alaskan Rep. did not like aircraft landing in their neighborhood. I do not know either way.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:57 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That is the question I would like answered. I do not know the intent behind the regulation that prohibits landing and hunting on the same day. It could be something with a lot of careful thought behind the regulation, or it could be petty legislation enacted because some Alaskan Rep. did not like aircraft landing in their neighborhood. I do not know either way.
I am pretty sure it was enacted in order to ensure fairness in the hunts. Same day airborne hunting would give a huge advantage to those that could afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska