Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:38 PM

5 posts, read 8,325 times

Advertisements

Hello there, CD and Alaskan users,

First post. I'm new to this site, especially this thread.

My question is simple really: can someone tell me a little bit about each college in AK (pros and cons);
is it difficult to make a living as a female 20-something? Also, how healthy is the tech industry out there, and what is your favorite thing about Alaska, the area you're living in, and some winter preparation tips?

I am coming in the Bay Area, CA.
It would be nice to hear from those who have migrated from the Bay Area to Alaska, but all feedback is welcome.

For those curious as to why I'm considering Alaska?
Time for change. I've mellowed away from the bustle and hustle of trend and overall citylife for the past 3 years and have been thinking about leading a simpler, community and practicality based life for awhile now.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 PM

623 posts, read 958,848 times
UAS in Juneau may fit you well, coming from the Bay area.

Most regions of Ak are very different though, if you like more urban life then Anchorage may be better suited for you. Fairbanks is cold, much colder than Anchorage and certainly colder than Juneau, which is mild in comparison.

UAS

Old 11-14-2013, 12:43 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
No, your questions aren't simple. Alaska is huge, and I don't know how you expect anyone to give you advice on colleges without even knowing what your intended major is. Winter preparation tips... will vary dramatically depending on what part of the state you're in.

Most people I've ever met who migrated from the Bay Area turned tail and ran at the first sign of winter.

Anyway, my advice is to choose the school that's best suited to your intended course of study.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-14-2013 at 01:02 AM..

Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
Colleges:
University of Alaska - Fairbanks
University of Alaska - Anchorage
University of Alaska - Southeast
Alaska Pacific University
The first three are state ran, the last is private. Each has different strengths in their areas of study, so what you to pursue your degree in is a big factor. Unless you aren't sure yet, then I guess it would depend on what type of climate you are looking for.
Each state school also has community campuses in the areas surrounding it. For example, UAA has satellite campus in the MatSu, in Valdez, in Kodiak, on the Peninsula, etc.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:12 PM

63 posts, read 225,105 times
I wouldn't recommend any of the colleges in AK. I hear that UAF is more academically stringent than UAA but I can't fathom spending winters in Fairbanks. No thank you. UAA in my opinion is just a glorified community college. They have open enrollment -if you don't get accepted at the Bachelors level, then you get in at the Associates level. I have been to a good college in the lower 48 (BYU) and UAA and honestly it's like night and day. SOME programs are good, but AK isn't really a tech heavy state like CA with the Silicon Valley or TX in Austin which is a mini Silicon.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:53 PM

Hello, Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thank you so much for your responses

@Metlakatla, I thought it was obvious that I studying in a IT/Technology related field when I asked about the tech industry. Guess not.

@lellenn, I heard UAF was the most academically rigorous of the bunch. I was just curious about the tech environment in general. Don't really care if it's big or powerful, since I'd like to bring some of the skill and knowledge from the Bay to where ever I choose to settle. As long as there is interest in technology, then it's enough for me

@AKStafford, I've heard about UAA's satellite campus. Pretty cool. I have a friend from one of my classes whose worked on a fishing boat near Nome for several years. She's been thinking about going back.

For the rest of you who've contributed, thank you! I really appreciate the pictures and comparisons. I don't care too much for an urban life anymore since I've lived away from the city for a few years, but I guess charming neighborhoods wouldn't hurt - Juneau's been compared to a mini version of several San Francisco neighborhood's. Now that I look at it, it does.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora031 View Post
Hello, Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thank you so much for your responses

@Metlakatla, I thought it was obvious that I studying in a IT/Technology related field when I asked about the tech industry. Guess not.
Not really, no. I thought about it, but then wondered if you were perhaps a returning student with an IT degree wanting to go in a different educational direction and were planning on seeking employment in the IT field while in school. I seem to know several people who are doing just that these days. It's also tough to get my head around why anyone would want to study IT at an Alaskan school. Not putting you down or anything, but it's just not an educational mecca for that.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 PM

Maybe it has nothing to do with studying IT at an Alaskan school, much less seeking an educational mecca for the subject. I wouldn't ask about the IT industry if I wasn't interested. Don't hurt your head trying to fathom a reason with little information

Old 11-14-2013, 08:20 PM

Calm down, Miss Mellow. No need to get all snippy, and it didn't hurt my head one bit. Good luck finding your paradise in Alaska, now.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Calm down, Miss Mellow. No need to get all snippy, and it didn't hurt my head one bit. Good luck finding your paradise in Alaska, now.
Shhhh, all has been spoken for already. No need to keep chatting. Go to sleep. Go to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska