Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 02:15 PM

7 posts, read 19,492 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, My husband and I teach in Missouri (high school English and Social Studies). No children at home, but two loveable dogs. Any advice as to where to find jobs in the same school and what kind (bush or towns) would be so appreciated! We are in our 40's and 50's, but love adventure and mentoring kids is our passion in life! We are looking to go where teachers are respected as well as valued in communities. Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 02:29 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Alaska Teacher Placement

Old 12-11-2013, 02:30 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
LKSD Home

Old 12-11-2013, 02:32 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,331 times
Are you looking for living in a city, semi-rural, rural, or so rural you think you fell off the earth? We have all four here in Alaska....
What sort of climate? Coastal with moderate temperatures? Southcentral with decent summers and tolerable winters? Interior or northern with mind-numbing cold but glorious summers?
Here's some of the school districts websites:
Anchorage School District
Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District / Overview
Kenai Peninsula Borough School District
Fairbanks North Star Borough School District | Fairbanks North Star Borough School District
Juneau School District
The North Slope Borough School District / Homepage
LKSD Home
Hoonah City Schools
Welcome to the Alaska Gateway School District
http://www.valdezcityschools.org/pag...z_City_Schools
Northwest Arctic Borough School District / NW Arctic Borough School District Homepage

And all the rest:
Districts - Alaska Public Schools Database

Last edited by AKStafford; 12-11-2013 at 02:41 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 02:34 PM

Default appreciated

Thank you!!

Old 12-11-2013, 02:38 PM

Thank you! Actually, it would be nice to live in rural area or semi rural. I think my husband and I might have a better chance getting teaching jobs in the same school that way. I have read that it is hard to get teaching jobs in the city. Any suggestions?

Old 12-11-2013, 02:43 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbears View Post
Thank you! Actually, it would be nice to live in rural area or semi rural. I think my husband and I might have a better chance getting teaching jobs in the same school that way. I have read that it is hard to get teaching jobs in the city. Any suggestions?
Is is possible to make a trip up here and get a feel for things?

Old 12-11-2013, 03:21 PM

Default teacher job fair

We are thinking about going to the Anchorage teacher job fair...I think in March or April. It will be expensive, but think it would be worth it. I have heard accounts about being offered a contract right at the fair...hmmm???

Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,749,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbears View Post
We are thinking about going to the Anchorage teacher job fair...I think in March or April. It will be expensive, but think it would be worth it. I have heard accounts about being offered a contract right at the fair...hmmm???
Before we moved to AK, I too went to the teacher job fair at the Captain Cook in Anchorage. The remote towns & bush schools were signing teachers rightthen & there. I met a principal who later hired me in Anchorage School District.

Not to discourage, however, your teaching areas are not the most sought after since there is usually only 1 of each at a small school. Are you certified for middle school too?

Don't discount Anchorage or Mat-Su, both actively growing districts that contain numerous schools.

Bring 1 page resumes. You can also download applications of the major districts to fill out at home, rather than on-the-spot. Bring references, addresses, contact numbers, etc with you.

Good luck!

Old 12-11-2013, 04:01 PM

Default questions about being hired

Yes, we are certified middle and high school. Is it really a reality for us two to find jobs in the same school? To be honest, I have heard it is hard to get jobs in the city schools...is this so? I know, Social Studies and English are not the sought after areas I know Sped is and Math, but we are not licensed in those areas. Gosh, you hear so many things...like they sure are in need of teachers and you will have multiple offers...kinda wonder about that now. Thank you so much for your advice-well taken!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska