Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 PM

9 posts, read 18,002 times

Advertisements

Hello, another post asking for information on moving to Cordova. I can already tell that if moving there works out, I will love it. I have some job apps in the works, the only hang up it looks like, will be finding a place to live. I have four kids and a great rental history, but we would probably have to move in the summer to avoid the kids missing school, and it seems like availability is much less during that time of year. Any tips would be amazing. Also, what's the deal with moving into town? Can you drive to Anchorage and take the ferry across with a small moving trailer? Yeah, any advice at all would be great. I think my kids would absolutely love it there.
Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 12:28 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
There is no ferry service at all out of Anchorage. Link below for the Alaska ferry system. Hopefully you've already visited Cordova and know what you are getting into.

Alaska Marine Highway System :: Official Site :: Alaska DOT&PF

Old 12-18-2013, 12:50 PM

"The Alaska Marine Highway System provides scheduled ferry service, connecting Cordova with the communities of Whittier (gateway to Anchorage), Valdez, Tatitlek, and Chenega. Barge service to Cordova is year-round."

I got this off the city website, so that's pretty much what I was referencing. I haven't been able to visit yet, but definitely would before the decision were set in stone. Thanks for the link, that's good info. I have been doing as much research as possible, and will have to rely some on family and friends' testimonies that live and have lived in nearby areas. People that know me and think it would be a good fit for us. I still want as much info as possible and I figure the best way to get it is to talk with people that are there now. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2013, 01:02 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly75a View Post
Also, what's the deal with moving into town? Can you drive to Anchorage and take the ferry across with a small moving trailer?
You can drive to Whittier, which is an hour south of Anchorage and take the ferry from there. And actually, if you are driving up, it might be shorter to stay on the Richardson Highway at Glennallen and drive to Valdez and take the ferry from there.
If you decide to ship your stuff up on a barge, Alaska Marine Lines (Lynden) is a provider: Barge Service to Alaska, Southeast Alaska, Central Alaska | Alaska Marine Lines

Old 12-18-2013, 01:06 PM

There's a facebook page that might be of help: https://www.facebook.com/CordovaAK

And you might try the phone the Cordova Chamber of Commerce list for rentals: Apartments & Rentals | Cordova Alaska Chamber of Commerce

Old 12-18-2013, 01:23 PM

Yes, great, thank you so much!

Old 12-19-2013, 09:37 AM

It seems like it's going to cost an arm and a leg just to get there. The drive will be 3800 miles from where I live now. Then the cost of living will be higher. Jeez, I want to come but it won't be easy! Maybe this is what helps to weed out those who are truly serious.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly75a View Post
It seems like it's going to cost an arm and a leg just to get there. The drive will be 3800 miles from where I live now. Then the cost of living will be higher. Jeez, I want to come but it won't be easy! Maybe this is what helps to weed out those who are truly serious.
Yep. If you read through this forum, you'll see that getting here is expensive, living here is expensive and getting out of here when things don't work out is expensive.
That's way my advice always is to not come unless you have a job lined up and come with plenty of extra cash.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:29 AM

And I should add... The more remote you live, the more expensive it is. Why were you looking at Cordova? Valdez, Seward, Homer, Juneau, Sitka, and Wrangell will give the same coastal living. Seward, Homer & Juneau would all have a lower cost of living than Cordova. Not a lot cheaper though...

Old 12-19-2013, 10:52 AM

The reason for Cordova is for a job. I am trying to get my foot in the door with a federal job for the benefits and retirement and something opened up at the airport there. I have applied and am going through the steps now. The more I have researched the town, the more I find that I like about it. The schools are rated high, which will be great for the kids. The winters seem mild compared to the rest of the state, so that would be a good start for us. We are already an outdoor type family, multiple trips hiking across the Sierras, camping, etc. Alaska has been calling my name for more years than I can remember, and I'm about ready to go to wherever I can find a job. I have some money saved which would go toward the moving expenses, so if the job works out that part would be good to go. The hang up is that I really can't afford to come for a visit first, and I wonder how difficult it will be to find a house or apartment. I just spoke to a woman whose son just got a job at the high school there and she gave me a personal contact at a real estate office, so that should help. Of course, the whole things hinges on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska