Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what temp do you bring your dogs in?
32° 0 0%
single digits 1 20.00%
never 2 40.00%
always 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,618 times

Advertisements

At what temperature do you bring your dogs in the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 09:48 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,803 times
The answer depends entirely on the breed and how it is acclimated. A dog with a decent coat that spends the majority of it's time outdoors will be able to tolerate substantial subzero temps, wolves, coyotes and foxes never get to come indoors and they do just fine.

I think many would be shocked at how thin some coats are on sled dogs who live outside 365 days a year and tolerate -40 to -60F regularly. I had a golden retreiver that handled -40F will no ill effects, her kennel mate was a samoyed that loved the cold, the colder the better and the more energy he had, but of course a samoyed has one of the best, if not THE BEST coat for a dog.

So, generaly speaking, a dog acclimated to outdoor temps and weather will grow a coat accordingly provided it is a double coated breed. I do not know off-hand of a single coated breed that can tolerate "cold".

Old 01-10-2014, 02:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,618 times
I asked because we have been having temperatures in the single digits and I heard some places in us (st louis ) for one were confiscating dogs and fining owners if animal was left outside.. We have a shephard mix and she never came inside but some local people are freaking out.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:27 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,565,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolc1951 View Post
At what temperature do you bring your dogs in the house?
Dogs aren't nearly as stupid as their owners. The dog lets me know when he wants out, and barks when he wants back in.

If it is colder than -20, I put booties and a coat on him. He is a short haired boxer and does just fine even at -40 with his gear on, but he doesn't want to stay out long either. If he was a Husky or other long haired dog, they mostly want to stay outdoors anyway at any temps except for dinner...

Old 01-10-2014, 07:33 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,565,416 times
Quote:
I asked because we have been having temperatures in the single digits and I heard some places in us (st louis ) for one were confiscating dogs and fining owners if animal was left outside.. We have a shephard mix and she never came inside but some local people are freaking out.
Again, you have some really stupid people that have no concept of animals that are cared for as pets, they will let you know if they want to come into the house.

As for those that mistreat their pets, the temps are the least of their worries.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:37 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times
My dogs are house dogs. That said, the two larger ones with double coats will stay out even in frigid temperatures (I'm in MI, not AK but we've had a seriously cold and nasty winter so far) and will happily go for several-mile walks, even jumping in the river, even in single digits.

The smaller single-coated dog does not tolerate cold well. She shakes and shivers. I even bought her a couple of coats. But if its below 20, she'll run out, do her business by the back door and run straight back in.

OTOH I have a friend with Malamutes, they show and do sledding and weight pull. I believe they have eight. Those dogs don't even want to come inside. They've got a giant fenced enclosure, heated water bowls and pretty deluxe housing.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:25 AM

325 posts, read 576,787 times
I didn't until last week's frigid weather. We live at 7900ft elev and with the windchill it was colder than Barrow. I'm sure our great pyr appreciated it for a change. Otherwise we don't bring any animals into the house. Into the sheep wagons possibly. I wouldn't know because the wagons are up in the higher pastures and not near our home.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Again, you have some really stupid people that have no concept of animals that are cared for as pets, they will let you know if they want to come into the house.

As for those that mistreat their pets, the temps are the least of their worries.
Indeed! An animal will let one know when it is in need.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:03 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Quote:
I have two dogs,
  • a 10 year-old female Alaskan Husky - Blizzard; and
  • a 6 year-old male Boerboel (a.k.a. South African Mastiff) - Buddy.
I also have a large dog-sized opening in the back of my heated garage that provides them with access to the outside anytime they feel like it.

During the summer they both spend about equal time inside and outside.

During the winter, Buddy becomes a house dog, only going outside to do his business and then coming back in almost immediately. When I am outside with Buddy (who has short hair) and it is below freezing, he is never outside longer than 15 minutes, and 5 minutes or less if the temperature is below zero.

Blizzard, on the other hand, disappears from the house during the winter. She will lay on bare ice, exposed to the snow and wind, when it is -20°F outside for hours at a time. She truly loves the cold.

A Shepard mix should be able to withstand freezing temperatures overnight, but she should have shelter, food, and non-frozen water that is accessible to her. I do notice an increase in Blizzard's appetite during the winter months. I assume she is burning more calories due to the cold.

Their ears and nose will be the first to freeze. Dogs emit most of their excess heat from panting, but they also emit a great deal of excess heat from the pads on their feet. While their feet will not freeze quickly in snow, you do have to watch out for snowballs that get between their pads. Snowbooties are good at preventing that sort of thing.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:02 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
While their feet will not freeze quickly in snow, you do have to watch out for snowballs that get between their pads. Snowbooties are good at preventing that sort of thing.
We've been using a product called Musher's Secret all natural paw wax on our dogs' paws this winter in NH. The snow doesn't stick to their feet anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska