Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:50 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Get used to it, it's called DWO...driving while old.

I know, I know, there's still lotsa you guys out there that still drive just as fast and reckless as you did as teenagers, but then theres the rest of the world.

I guess you'll just have to start enjoying the scenery more and stressing a bit less.
It is truly amazing that anyone could possibly conceive of driving the posted speed limit, right?

I guess that is why we have cell phones. So we can get the state troopers to do their job and start citing violators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 02:45 AM

24 posts, read 86,460 times
You do realize what a speed limit is, right? It is the maximum allowable speed for that road, usually decided by ensuring safety for pedestrians and children (residential/schoolzones) or for the less than average person in the less than average handling car. The limit is for the safety of all people, AND, you have the right to travel slower than that speed ... without having other drivers harass you for driving safe or cautiously.

On most interstate highways, there is also a minimum speed ... in FL the limit in most places is 70, the minimum is 45. Each driver has the right to drive anywhere in between and including those numbers ... above and below those guidelines is a violation of the law. In Texas, most of the roads' limits are 5 mph less at dark.

Making a statement about driving at least the speed limit is almost an admission of guilt to violating the law ... admitting you are an intentional criminal with no remorse for the crimes being committed. Watch out for those state troopers doing their job ... they bust reckless drivers and speeders as well as cell phone users, make-up putter on-ers, and other driving violations.

Slander and making assumptions of other drivers who do not feel the need to drive at the maximum lawful speed for that road is in poor taste. I have found from my personal travel experiences, the ones on the phones are usually those who are driving at, or in excess of, the posted speed limit. That is why they are multi-tasking while driving ... they are in a rush of life for some reason.

I do agree, it is in good taste to not drive unreasonably slow, and if you are holding up lots of traffic, pull off somewhere and let them by if there is no legal or safe chances for them to pass. Just the same, a person following should be at least one car length or 1 second worth of distance back for every 10 mph of speed. Tailgating usually doesn't help the problem.

When I was younger, I was guilty of reckless driving and endangerment ... speeding 5-10+ over the posted limit just because I thought I could get away with it (and did). I weaved through traffic, accelerated hard from stops, and all kinds of 'cool' sporty driving styles in my various sports and muscle cars. As I matured, I realized the purpose for the limits and regulations ... hills, blind corners/driveways, traffic, etc..

Now, don't make an assumption of my age, because it will surprise you ... I am in my late 20's. I drive at or below the posted speed at all times now. I found I am less stressed, save tons of fuel (so driving slower saves me money), and get to my destination in about the same time as I would when I was rushing and driving aggressively instead of defensively.

I suggest taking a deep breath, put on some relaxing music, and go with the flow. 5-10 mph under the limit isn't that bad (unless the limit is 15-20 :P ). You will save gas, be more relaxed, and still get everything you need to done. If you are in trouble of being late ... leave earlier. There is nothing wrong with planning to get somewhere a quarter of an hour earlier than you absolutely must be there by ... it is just good judgment and practice.

Back to the money savings ... my car has a guage on it and I have tested different driving patterns. If I drove the way I did when I was younger ... I get around 30-40mp mpg ... when I drive calm and patiently ... I get anywhere from 50 mpg to 70 mpg in the city. I still get where I need to go on time, and don't waste a lot of extra time by taking the paths less traveled (lower limits) ... the consistent speed usually defeats the fast driver, since there is less red lights, stop signs, people turning off, etc.. On long trips, I see the same vehicles fly by me several times on the interstate ... because I can go 800+ miles on a tank of gas on a long trip, which not stopping for gas more than makes up for the time saved by speeding. In town, driving casually usually nets me a green light and conservation of momentum, while the people rushing, are just rushing to the red light to stop, as I pass them by when it turns green.

Try slowing down and relaxing for a while, you might just see how little difference racing around makes. Your stress level (and cardiovascular system) will appreciate the change of pace.

I have been where you are before, but that was my teens and early 20's ... I hope you can find that peace of mind one day (you will), and learn that sometimes the tortoise beats the hare in real life, not just the cartoon/story.

If you are wondering what car I get that mileage in, it is a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid with the CVT transmission. I have gotten 50+ mpg in a 4 cyl 99 Accord, 32 mpg in a 88 RX-7. It is all how you pace yourself and learn to drive ... want a place for fuel efficient driving tips, visit CleanMPG, An authoritative source on fuel economy and hypermiling

Take care and hope your future days are less stressful and more peaceful.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:02 AM

103 posts, read 322,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Is it paved? Rough road? Maybe they slow down to let you guys pass?

Badger road is actually one of the smoother roads in the interior. depending on the time of day with oncoming traffic there isn't much time to pass. well unless you have a quick car

Old 12-04-2007, 08:04 AM

What a waste of a good rant, and obviously unaware of Alaska traffic laws.

Quote:
AS 28.35.140. Unlawful Obstruction or Blocking of Traffic; Duty to Yield to Following Traffic.

(b) A person operating a motor vehicle at any time on a two-lane roadway outside of an urban area shall pull the motor vehicle off the roadway at the first opportunity to pull over safely if there are five or more motor vehicles immediately following that motor vehicle. A person operating a motor vehicle who violates this subsection is guilty of an infraction as described in AS 28.40.050 (d) and shall be punished by a fine of at least $100.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:19 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Glitch for State Senate :P

Old 12-04-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Glitch for State Senate :P
LOL! I would make a terrible politician for one very good reason: I have principles.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:54 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
I see troopers driving and talking on cell phones all the time. What up with that? I think I see more of them doing it than regular citizens.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:01 AM

I have no problem with people using cell phones while driving, providing they are using them "hands-free". It is no more distracting that carrying on a regular conversation. It is when people are holding them while driving that problems occur.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:04 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Maybe they're calling in the donut order or something.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:18 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
I for one tend to get drowsy at 55 mph or following someone for to long staring at their tailgate. I can't drive...55! Once I hit 65 I become more focused and attentive. The faster you go the faster things can go wrong, so I perk right up. At 45 to 55 I'm like yawning and bored and wanting to pass the %#$!@&*#~ sob right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska