Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,266 times

Advertisements

I have read in the Alaska papers how the spot locator beacon has been used to save a life when someone gets in trouble out in the bush. I would assume that the rescue costs would then be charged to the user? Is that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 10:16 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Can't answer your question directly. Maybe someone here can give you the run down on what parts of your "rescue" will need to be reimbursed.

IMHO, if I were going out somewhere where a "spot" beacon was a good idea to have, I would want medevac insurance anyways. It doesn't cost a whole lot comparative to the cost of if you need it and have to pay for it. It is quite possible that if you need it just once, it will pay for a lifetime of dues. IIRC, Juneau was trying to get all residents to get medevac insurance and was trying to implement a program that the city would subsidize lower income residents so they could get it.

Health insurance would be a big 'if' or a 'maybe'. I wouldn't want to count on it paying for it without knowing ahead of time if it covered it.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,266 times
i guess the helicopter rescue would be my question. I would think that it would be a cost to someone.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:33 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Years ago when I lived in Afognak the Coast Guard was threating to start charging for rescues after a string incidents where people got in a bad spot because they were being stupid. I remember there being a lot of backlash. The fear was people would hesitate to call for a rescue if it was going to cost.
I know in Anchorage there was the same debate after people who had hike half way up Flattop got tired and called for a "rescue" to get back down.

So as I understand it, if the Troopers, Air National Guard or Coast Guard come get you, there's no charge. But I might be wrong....

Old 02-09-2014, 01:02 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
The emergency button on the Spot gps helps!

NTSB Releases Preliminary Report on Fatal McGrath Crash - KTUU.com

Old 02-09-2014, 01:23 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,317 times
Wrangell, like most communities, has an excellent volunteer search & rescue squad widely supported by the town. There are donations, auctions, an annual game dinner and other fundraisers for equipment, training and such. These volunteers are amazing and never give up. I'm always grateful to have them for friends & neighbors. There is never a charge to the person in need. Same with the coast guard, there is no charge for rescue, however, I imagine they have the discretion to re-coup expenses for stupids or intentional false alarms.
As for medi-vac. It can cost up to 45 grand from here to emergency care in Seattle. Even a broken bone in Wrangell means at least a flight to Ketchikan. Definitely worth the insurance - and being careful!

Old 02-09-2014, 07:58 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletom1 View Post
I have read in the Alaska papers how the spot locator beacon has been used to save a life when someone gets in trouble out in the bush. I would assume that the rescue costs would then be charged to the user? Is that correct?
Nope. Not for life or limb.

Recovery of gear, snowmachines, etc maybe depending which agency or S&R group.

Yes for medevac if done by non government service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska