Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 05:18 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
A word of advice you do not want to be caught with a gun crossing into Canada. See most of the guns used in crimes in Canada come from the US and they do not like that. Much like Mexico 99% of the guns used in crimes were not sold in Canadian gun shops but in US gun shops. 1-3% of US gun dealers are responsible for over 50% of the guns found in criminal hands in the US alone. US gun dealers are responsible for the guns found in the hands of criminals in many of the islands of the Caribbean too.

So any US citizen coming into Canada with a gun that doesn't have the paper work for that gun is going to be put in jail and they will search your vehicle and possessions at the crossing. They will also grill your butt too. You had better not even think about bringing a gun over there unless you have the paperwork for it and make sure everything has been double and triple checked. Otherwise you will spend three years in prison due to their no tolerance policy.

Case against U.S. man illustrates Canada's zero-tolerance gun policy - Los Angeles Times
A lot of the guns used in crimes in Mexico were sent there by our current President and company. Fast and Furious was a ploy to have a lot of Mexicans killed by US sourced guns to blame the American public for selling guns. It was an effort to blame the lax laws here for more gun control. Problem is that Obama and Holder got caught and dropped the entire thing like a hot potatoe and have done all sorts of "Chuck and Jive" to keep it from being investigated. But it will see the light of day.

Canada's gun laws are different, but in the same light they took away gun rights there one bite at a time, first registering them, then first taking pistols and now rifles without a major paper trail and payments of fees to own one or bringing one into the country. So Americans are pretty leary of Politicians claiming gun control as a ploy to solve crimes, I think only a few crimes were solved with registration of millions of guns.

Crimes by gun are created mostly by the person wanting to harm others, not the guns themselves. Instead of shooting victums, they just stab, club, run over them and other assorted crafts...

Not worth the hassle of taking a gun through Canada, better to just leave it home or ship it to the other side. Should it be stolen or you lose it, they will assume you sold it there and all hell will break loose with them wanting to know whom you sold it to and why. You are guilty there until proven inocent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 10:18 AM

941 posts, read 1,791,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
A lot of the guns used in crimes in Mexico were sent there by our current President and company. Fast and Furious was a ploy to have a lot of Mexicans killed by US sourced guns to blame the American public for selling guns. It was an effort to blame the lax laws here for more gun control. Problem is that Obama and Holder got caught and dropped the entire thing like a hot potatoe and have done all sorts of "Chuck and Jive" to keep it from being investigated.
I expected better of Star. He has used the twisted words of those who would blame the current President if they fell through the hole in their outhouse. And since I have seen pictures of Star building an outhouse I must assume he has had such an experience to link the events of the latter 3 years of George W Bush's administration with the administration of the current President. His first words imply his motive in he uses "A lot of guns ... ..." which says he admits some portion of the guns weren't tied to the current administration. Fast and Furious seems to have been an effort by the ATF Office in Tucson, AZ to unlawfully entrap some parties in gun smuggling which was started sometime in 2006 when the current President was a United States Senator. It is true that the concept carried over to after January 2009when the next administration was sworn in but how much was known about an illegal effort by a small group far removed from Washington, DC is the subject of much current dispute. If you and your Attorney General were cognizant of what was going on in an obscure office three quarters of the way across the Country then there might be some truth to what Star has parroted above. But drawing a conclusion based on what the sworn opposition is claiming is the height of being irrelevant when they have offered no proof only conjecture as to the culpability of the newcomers.

The facts don't lie and the date the entire operation started was 2006. When the story broke in 2011 the fact it was an illegal entrapment was the last thing that the opposition parroted. They had found a scandal and the fact the President they were ashamed of might have been part and parcel of the story was what they ignored. It would seem allowing some group to violate the law in an effort to incriminate another group of people as law breakers is against all our judicial concepts. Leaving out inconvenient facts is a long standing political tactic. And shouting them down with the well known Gobbles tactic of telling the bigger lie is something that politicians of every stripe have utilized since the days of the first politician. When the truth gets lost the entire voting population is the loser.

Last edited by richelles; 02-24-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Wow. Did this thread go sideways...

Old 02-24-2014, 07:28 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post

Old 02-25-2014, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
I expected better of Star. He has used the twisted words of those who would blame the current President if they fell through the hole in their outhouse. And since I have seen pictures of Star building an outhouse I must assume he has had such an experience to link the events of the latter 3 years of George W Bush's administration with the administration of the current President. His first words imply his motive in he uses "A lot of guns ... ..." which says he admits some portion of the guns weren't tied to the current administration. Fast and Furious seems to have been an effort by the ATF Office in Tucson, AZ to unlawfully entrap some parties in gun smuggling which was started sometime in 2006 when the current President was a United States Senator.
Point is, that Bush worked with the Mexican Government, Obama and crew did not....

Google Obama blaming the American Public on youtube about the guns in Mexico being the fault of lax gun laws in America, until the facts came out, he was using these killings to enact tougher gun laws here. It was his program that put the guns in the cartels hands and he dropped it like a hot potatoe when those guns started showing up at killings and traced back to "His" "Fast and Furious", not Bush's.

That is the facts and you can see them in his own words, not anyone elses....

But the fact that our Current President just flat out lies, no guess work here, he just flat out can't tell the truth and it is coming quite clear even to his supporters except those that can't see.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Guns are guns... It's always the Liberals that want your guns, while they are protected by them, which begs the question, why is that?

Almost all of the mass killings are done by Liberals.

Canadain Gov'n is very Liberal, not so much the Western side of the Country, but they are sucked in by the Liberals just the same, and it shows. Their National Health Care is a mess, provided by Liberals and our Health Care is now being "Cratered" by Liberals. Canadian Gun controls are getting worse as time goes by, and the Liberals here are trying very hard to emulate them, we just have a pesky "Bill of Rights" that keeps getting in their way....

All thoughout history, the Prelude to War has always been to disarm the masses. Much easier to subdue them if they can't shoot back.

Last edited by starlite9; 02-25-2014 at 03:22 AM..

Old 02-25-2014, 07:04 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
All thoughout history, the Prelude to War has always been to disarm the masses. Much easier to subdue them if they can't shoot back.
They must be counting on winning the war to disarm us considering the wackin' the military budget is going to get. Wouldn't be enough money to fight one winning war, one war of containment and one civil insurrection. Least wise don't seem so to me.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:04 AM

Starlite9 - I just thought this was about how to bring guns in Canada. To me it seems like Canada isn't so much about not letting you bring guns in, as they are about collecting money to allow you to do so and tracking those that do. Otherwise, I couldn't take a class, pay a fee, and be able to possess and buy guns in Canada as a US citizen. (PAL - Possession and Acquisition License)... Or pay a fee to bring a long gun over - which in my mind is more dangerous than a handgun. It shoot further more accurate, better to have in a rural area. In addition, much harder to secure and it is larger and you end up leaving in your vehicle.

Yep - you have another issue and an important one at that, one that deserves discussing - just didn't see the tie in to the OP's original question. That's all.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Starlite9 - I just thought this was about how to bring guns in Canada. To me it seems like Canada isn't so much about not letting you bring guns in, as they are about collecting money to allow you to do so and tracking those that do. Otherwise, I couldn't take a class, pay a fee, and be able to possess and buy guns in Canada as a US citizen. (PAL - Possession and Acquisition License)... Or pay a fee to bring a long gun over - which in my mind is more dangerous than a handgun. It shoot further more accurate, better to have in a rural area. In addition, much harder to secure and it is larger and you end up leaving in your vehicle.

Yep - you have another issue and an important one at that, one that deserves discussing - just didn't see the tie in to the OP's original question. That's all.
Yep, your are correct, but it was in response the post by d from birmingham. Bringing guns through Canada was the OP's question. But at one time it was as easy to go through Canada with a gun as crossing most state lines in the U.S.

You can't eat a moose in one bite, but you can with many, which is what the anti gun Liberals have been doing, just passing one small law at a "Bite" until people concider it normal. Canada has been doing that to it's people for years. When I was younger, I could take just about anything that wasn't military grade across the boarder to and from Alaska. If you have a bullet in your car/truck that you forgot about, and Canadian Customs find it, they will assume you are smuggling a gun and tear your entire operations apart until they find it. My Cousin had that happen, there was a .38 bullet they found that had been in the camper for years, they tore everything out, and left it all out on the ground and didn't find anything. That included the seats in the car... As they were doing all this, they kept saying they were going to go to jail if they didn't fess up and tell them where the gun was at.

To me, it is best not to bring anything that raises a red flag, just ship it, or come up on the Ferry and don't leave the Ferry in a Canadian Port, although I am told even that is illegal because you are in their waters.

Alaskan Law use to be that when flying private planes Cross Country, we had to carry a gun with us as part of the survival kit, when Canada changed the rifle laws a few years back, it made it too much of a hassle for those that flew back and forth to Canada from Alaska and they dropped the gun requirement to an "Option".

Canada is a foreign country, although it is a lot like the United States, you don't want to get caught in something there you weren't aware of. Taking a gun across the boarder can be done, but there are a lot of rules that even the locals don't always know (Same as here), so to me, it is just one more issue I can do without while traveling out of Alaska.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:58 AM

My experience at the border hasn't resulted in a full car take apart (thankfully). It has resulted in a lengthy interview at times - I'll call it what it is, an interrogation. But when in Canada, other than being able to pay with different currency and having to do some conversions, it feels like USA North to me. I haven't been to every province, but I have been to Far Eastern and Far Western Canada on my many driving trips.

Next time I go North, I plan to hit some of Central Canada. Just so I can say I did...

As far as Guns go, times, they are a changing. People going bonkers and shooting up a bunch of people in a public place does not help. It seems to mobilize people that until that happened really didn't care to get involved. Now they are. Not that ANYTHING that is being done/proposed would have stopped most of those incidents here and anything that would, should violate the 2nd Amendment - until someone figures out a way to get that repealed. Then the difference in gun carry laws between Canada and the US will be about the same again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska