Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 04:25 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Why don't you just shut up and go back to sucking the cream filling out of your doughnuts???
So yes you did break federal law then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 04:33 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
You can ship a firearm to yourself. You have to be the one it is addressed to and who opens it. No FFL needed this way. Only an FFL can use the USPS but UPS should be fine. Maybe Fedex too unless they've changed.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:37 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
So yes you did break federal law then.
The only person that's broken a law here is you. Being an "IDIOT" in a NO IDIOT zone is a crime against humanity.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:52 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
Hey 'D', you can bring whatever legal USA gun you want in your checked baggage on an airplane as long as you declare it. As long as you are flying from one US city to another US City. Done it multiple times myself when flying. A locked hard case - and as stiffnecked pointed out, UNLOADED and no AMMO in the case with the gun. It can be in a separate hard case. For handguns, typically the hard case the gun came in works.

$40 was not that bad for the price. That was what I was wondering, how much to ship without you having to fly with it!

Lunabell - I agree - it's their Country we need to abide by their rules. I don't have a problem doing that either. I may gripe about it, but I understand.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You can ship a firearm to yourself. You have to be the one it is addressed to and who opens it. No FFL needed this way. Only an FFL can use the USPS but UPS should be fine. Maybe Fedex too unless they've changed.
I do not believe you can do it via UPS, they follow USPS procedures. Checking Fedex now.

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

On Edit: FedEx doesn't have any rules posted that I can find.

Last edited by Dakster; 02-20-2014 at 05:17 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 06:23 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms...censed-persons They are speaking of FFLs.

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

You still have to notify the carrier and follow their protocols.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:02 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms...censed-persons They are speaking of FFLs.

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

You still have to notify the carrier and follow their protocols.
I bolded the pertinent part. I used to have an FFL, I'm not pulling what I post out of my hat.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:08 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
A word of advice you do not want to be caught with a gun crossing into Canada. See most of the guns used in crimes in Canada come from the US and they do not like that. Much like Mexico 99% of the guns used in crimes were not sold in Canadian gun shops but in US gun shops. 1-3% of US gun dealers are responsible for over 50% of the guns found in criminal hands in the US alone. US gun dealers are responsible for the guns found in the hands of criminals in many of the islands of the Caribbean too.

So any US citizen coming into Canada with a gun that doesn't have the paper work for that gun is going to be put in jail and they will search your vehicle and possessions at the crossing. They will also grill your butt too. You had better not even think about bringing a gun over there unless you have the paperwork for it and make sure everything has been double and triple checked. Otherwise you will spend three years in prison due to their no tolerance policy.

Case against U.S. man illustrates Canada's zero-tolerance gun policy - Los Angeles Times
AKs in Mexico aren't coming from the US. This post is loaded with FAIL

Old 02-20-2014, 08:28 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Alaska Airlines air cargo firearms info

https://alaskacargo.custhelp.com/app...M2k0VTdzTmw%3D

Transporting Firearms | Alaska Airlines

Old 02-20-2014, 09:07 PM

Welp. You all have linked plenty of regulations. You can, by common carrier, ship a firearm from yourself to yourself... Good to know. That would be the cheapest - followed by Alaska Airlines freight...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska