Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:14 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,985 times

Advertisements

Man, talk about a headache! I've driven through Canada to Alaska six times and will soon begin my seventh. This time I'm thinking about bringing along one of my handguns, but the laws and forms needed to do this are very daunting! Some of the forms I need won't even download. I guess that's Canada's friendly way of saying, "you need not apply." Not sure why I'm even thinking about it since I've never had any personal safety issues (human kind) in the Canadian back country. What do you think?

Anyone know when the Bass pro Shop is opening? I've thought about buying a gun here and having it shipped to the BPS in Anchorage. Maybe they even let you buy here and pick up there...I'll call my local store.

Any constructive thoughts are welcomed! Most have always been very helpful when I've asked for advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:41 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
For a handgun through Canada, you need not apply... First, most handguns (for us) are considered prohibited weapons. Unless you have a long barrel and mags that hold 10 or less rounds. Or it is an antique. Then you need proof that you are moving to Alaska. I have one handgun that is just restricted and called to see how to go about bringing it with me - and there was no way.

There are ways to bring it in besides moving to/from AK. If it is really that important, you can get a Possession and Acquisition License in Canada. You have to personally go and take a course and pay all kinds of money to get it. Another is to join a gun club and have an event to go to where you need to use the gun... None of these are "cheap" options.

You can bring copious amounts of ammo through Canada though. Be prepared to get searched though, because if you got ammo they'll obviously think you got a gun somewhere.

Regarding Bass pro - good luck getting them to ship your gun for you to AK. In 2009 I had to drive through Canada and tried to get a Cabela's to do this, but they won't. If you buy their gun and need it at another store - that they will ship for you.

You can definitely do gun store to gun store. And I don't know anything about the stores in AK, but someone here may know of a good one for you to call ahead of time. Careful as they think they have a captive audience and they may try to hit you with high fees. Several people here recommend shipping them via Alaska Airlines too... I have no personal experience with any method. I just left mine at home when I traveled from the Lower 48 to AK and back. In Canada and Alaska I have never had any issues with humans either. Can't say the same for traveling in the lower 48 though.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,980 times
As Dakster alludes to, you can just take your firearm to a FFL in your vicinity and ship it to yourself as recipient, via to a FFL in Alaska where you fly into, Anchorage for example, then go to the receivng FFL and pick it up.

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Just ship it as airfreight on Alaska Airlines. Nothing complicated about it. I've done it at least 20 times. It's THE most hassle free way to go. You need to check the ATF rules before thinking about buying a handgun in Alaska at a retail store. It's most likely not going to happen. You could probably buy a long gun but not a handgun. ATF rules generally allow out-of-state residents to purchase long guns but restrict them from buying hand guns.

2,259 posts, read 4,754,204 times
Here's what UPS says about shipping guns. I think you'd be better off shipping it too, rather than having to deal with the Canada.

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:25 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
I shipped my .357 from a pawn shop in Wasilla to one at home in New Mexico last summer. $30 at each end. Not cheap if you don't really need it - I just got stuck with it because I took the ferry up there, no problem on the ferry. Driving back home I found it was going to be an issue. Wound up swapping my other handgun (a .40 that I wasn't really fond of) for a Model 870 for the trip through Canada.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:45 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
Cabelas is opening in early April. Most of the construction work is done and I think now it's just about getting the store set up.
Bass Pro seems to be moving a lot slower... I'm guessing it'll be sometime this summer, but it looks like it still has a way to go.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:48 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
Alaska News Digest: Cabela's announces grand opening date for Anchorage store | Alaska Dispatch

Anchorage Cabela's grand opening announced: The first Cabela’s in Alaska will open on April 10 in Anchorage, with a weekend-long celebration of giveaways, special guests and family events, according to a statement from the nationwide outdoor retail chain. Cabela’s executives will cut the ribbon at 10:45 a.m., with doors opening 15 minutes later. The 100,000-square-foot store will boast museum-quality wildlife displays, a mountain replica, aquarium, indoor archery range, gun library, bargain cave, deli and fudge shop, the statement said. The store will employ about 250 full-time, part-time and seasonal employees. Eligible merchandise can be ordered online at cabelas.com between Feb. 7 and March 19 and shipped for free to the store, for pickup starting April 10. Just select “in-store pick-up” at online checkout. The deal will continue after the store opens, the statement said.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:01 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I shipped my .357 from a pawn shop in Wasilla to one at home in New Mexico last summer. $30 at each end. Not cheap if you don't really need it - I just got stuck with it because I took the ferry up there, no problem on the ferry. Driving back home I found it was going to be an issue. Wound up swapping my other handgun (a .40 that I wasn't really fond of) for a Model 870 for the trip through Canada.
You could have UPS'd it from yourself to the gun store at the other end. Then it would be shipping plus the $30... Granted it is better and safer to do FFL to FFL.

Sitffy - What did Alaska Airlines charge to ship the guns for you? And what/how many did you ship?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:02 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
Back in 1963, I took my .357 from Alaska down the Alcan highway. When we got to Whitehorse, we were stopped by the Mounties and they asked if we had any weapons. I told them yes and showed him my pistol. He put a nylon band through the barrel and sealed it, took down the make, model & serial # and we went on our way. Somewhere in Alberta, a Mountie pulled us over and walked up to the car, looked inside, pointed at me and said "Let me see your gun". I showed it to him, it was still banded and he said fine. I had to show it again at the Montana border and that was it. Years later, in the early 80's, I had the same gun with me on a Western US vacation and we decided to go into Canada, I declared the gun again and was told "If you want to come to Canada, you have to leave the pistol in the US. So I had to drive back to a gas station in Washington where the guy made a business of storing weapons in a safe for $100/week. After I did that and went back to the border, they asked for my receipt to prove I didn't have it with me and we went into Canada. Apparently, the had recorded my car so that when I went back, they knew I had had a weapon. Very efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska