Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,225 times

Advertisements

my wife is taking me to Alaska in May, this will be our first trip there in our 25 year marriage. We both love to fish and can only afford to go fishing 2 days on an open charter boat. We are really trying to figure out where to go and what company to go with, we have seemed to have came to the conclusion that Seward or Homer may be our best bet but are certainly willing to listen to any and all suggestions. Good lodging accomodations would also be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 10:08 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Seward & Homer are both good options. Seward is a shorter drive from Anchorage...
I've gone out of Homer several times with Big Bear Halibut charters and have always had a great trip. Homer Halibut Fishing Charter

Old 03-02-2014, 10:36 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
I'm not sure about Seward or Homer, but in SE AK, May is early for halibut fishing. It is spring king salmon season though. You might want to check if there are any restrictions on what non-residents can catch.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
The regs change every year for non residents depending on predictions. I think it's usually one king per day.

If you're interested in going to SE, I can personally recommend this charter guy:

Alaska Salmon and Halibut Sport Fishing on Prince of Wales Island - Tranquil Charters- Craig, Prince of Wales Island, Outer-Ketchikan, Alaska Halibut and Salmon Sport Fishing Charters and Lodging

It's important to have a captain who knows the waters well; he does better than most.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:48 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
King fishing is tough. One week may make a huge difference and you have to be lucky to hit it right. It's not a lot of action either except of course when you have one on the line. Halibut fishing in Homer involves reeling straight up about 150' of line in Seward it's about 400' feet of line. This, hopefully, with a big fish and heavy weight. I went to Homer and my back thanks me. Lots of action and they were delicious.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:20 AM

860 posts, read 2,056,317 times
If you decide on southeast Alaska for your adventure contact my buddy John Yeager. He's a retired coastie, amazing fun personality and KNOWS where the fish are and how to catch them. His wife Brenda is a well-known Alaskan artist, she grew up exploring the waters of southeast with her dad, runs tours in her jet boat "The Wild Side" upriver to the glaciers and to the bear observatory while John does the fishing. You won't have more fun anywhere in Alaska
Wrangell Alaska

John & Brenda work closely with Leslie Cummings at a beautiful bed & breakfast on the beach just at the edge of town. It's like having your own privatge home at a really reasonable price where you'll be treated like royalty.

Grand View Bed and Breakfast Wrangell Alaska

whatever you do....have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska