Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2014, 11:11 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
The mat su valley has a lot of Russians living there but I don't think any of the long time locals still speak Russian. There were very few people here when the Russians sold this land. It was not until WW2 that the population boomed due to the rapid build up in infrastructure (lend lease air strips to supply Russia, the Alaska highway, etc). By the way, now we cant even get a socialized medical insurance web site to work and we are lucky if we can afford to repair a bridge let alone build new roads and bridges lol.

I never heard of a tribe in Africa speaking Russian, that's strange and kind of creepy. You don't want your culture being associated with cannibals.
Cannibalism has existed all over the world.

Now, over in Argentina there are towns where German and Spanish is spoken, as well as English and Spanish in other towns. In reality, somewhere around 40 languages are or have been spoken in Argentina through the years, but the most common are: Spanish, Italian, French, German, English, and Portuguese.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:58 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,620,329 times
Quote:

I never heard of a tribe in Africa speaking Russian, that's strange and kind of creepy. You don't want your culture being associated with cannibals.
250 million people speak in Russian, and not all of them are Russian. So no, I do not think.

in Sitka during the Second World War came six Russian submarines 2 of them were from my city.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Cannibalism has existed all over the world.

Now, over in Argentina there are towns where German and Spanish is spoken, as well as English and Spanish in other towns. In reality, somewhere around 40 languages are or have been spoken in Argentina through the years, but the most common are: Spanish, Italian, French, German, English, and Portuguese.
Yes you are right and this is evident if we consider the history.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:23 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,524,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykarast View Post
250 million people speak in russian, and not all of them are russian. So no, i do not think.

In sitka during the second world war came six russian submarines 2 of them were from my city.
да

Old 04-21-2014, 06:07 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Ain't gonna happen, even if every single Alaskan resident gets behind it. That's just how the US of A rolls.
Pretty much. The issue, for those who slept through HS, was settled in 1865.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:01 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,231,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Pretty much. The issue, for those who slept through HS, was settled in 1865.
Unless the USA goes bankrupt and sells it back to Russia. There is talk that in July there will be a planned devaluation of the dollar to try to prevent a total colapse.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:59 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
Unless the USA goes bankrupt and sells it back to Russia. There is talk that in July there will be a planned devaluation of the dollar to try to prevent a total colapse.
Really? And this "talk" comes from whom? Let me guess, the same guys who have been predicting "a total colapse" for the last 50 or 60 years?

Old 04-21-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Really? And this "talk" comes from whom? Let me guess, the same guys who have been predicting "a total colapse" for the last 50 or 60 years?
You must understand that Russia is returning to the arena and it means that U.S. domination will no longer one-sided. Not a good economy. The U.S. dollar held today due to the army. 50-60 years ago, the U.S. economy saved moving their production to China and Saudi Arabia alliance. Today things have changed. Saudi Arabia today cares about its citizens first and foremost.

Why do you think the U.S. is so eager to rid Europe from dependence on Russian gas and oil?

But in any case I do not think that Russia needs of Alaska and the U.S. allow it.

Of course ordinary Americans want to believe that their voice can influence policy. But this is not so ,101 years the United States does not belong to Americans

Old 04-21-2014, 03:18 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,231,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
You must understand that Russia is returning to the arena and it means that U.S. domination will no longer one-sided. Not a good economy. The U.S. dollar held today due to the army. 50-60 years ago, the U.S. economy saved moving their production to China and Saudi Arabia alliance. Today things have changed. Saudi Arabia today cares about its citizens first and foremost.

Why do you think the U.S. is so eager to rid Europe from dependence on Russian gas and oil?

But in any case I do not think that Russia needs of Alaska and the U.S. allow it.

Of course ordinary Americans want to believe that their voice can influence policy. But this is not so ,101 years the United States does not belong to Americans
Yep thats true, the best thing one can do as an individual american is to have enough skills and expereince to be a valuable free agent in the world market and then leverage those skills/assets in what ever culutre you mesh with and who will give you the most favorable conditions to live and work.

If Russia is smart they will loosen the screws as america is tightening them causing a brain drain out of the USA. Most white american engineers and scientists wont go to china because well they are not chineese (and the living conditions are way worse in china) but Russia or germany is not really a stretch.

Also Russia needs to finish purging communism out of its system and start quitly getting rid of these old timer ex/KGB guys that are still fighting against the new Russia. I know Putin is ex KGB but I think he is smart enough to see that communism is what destroyed the solviet union.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Yep thats true, the best thing one can do as an individual american is to have enough skills and expereince to be a valuable free agent in the world market and then leverage those skills/assets in what ever culutre you mesh with and who will give you the most favorable conditions to live and work.

If Russia is smart they will loosen the screws as america is tightening them causing a brain drain out of the USA. Most white american engineers and scientists wont go to china because well they are not chineese (and the living conditions are way worse in china) but Russia or germany is not really a stretch.

Also Russia needs to finish purging communism out of its system and start quitly getting rid of these old timer ex/KGB guys that are still fighting against the new Russia. I know Putin is ex KGB but I think he is smart enough to see that communism is what destroyed the solviet union.
Yes, you're right, but Putin does not have unlimited power as Stalin or Khrushchev. As for the communists, I do not think they can do some sort of harm today. Communists have worldwide including in the United States. There is no more chance of communism, although the idea is good enough. It's bad when all people are equal and almost brothers? As for the Soviet Union in the USSR was not communism or when. It was sort of communism. (Was only partially) I would not want to pollute the theme of Alaska. To destroy the US economy. Russia just need to start selling their resources for rubles. This will weaken the dollar the maximum will and crash. That is why the United States wants to rid Europe of Russian resources. But Russia has one more ally is China. if you notice that China is basically copy Russian technology.Because they are cheap and reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska