Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 06:20 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Nicholas II was planning to build under the Bering Strait railway tunnel and connect Alaska and the Far East.Interestingly ever build it.Bridge between North America and Asia should promote unprecedented economic growth on both continents.
ROTFLMAO. Your ignorance of geography is amazing.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Alaskans collect far more from the Federal government for every $1 paid in Federal taxes. Different charts will show different amounts — ranging from $1.09 to $2.24, depending on what payments are included in the accounting (defense spending, transportation projects, infrastructure, education, spending on native tribes, what the Republicans like to call "entitlements," etc.) But I have yet to see a chart in which Alaska isn't running a deficit, something The Economist magazine says they've been doing for more than 20 years. So I guess whenever the majority decides you want to leave, the other states could find something else to do with that money.
Well, I'm sure that they're counting on Putin to make up that deficit.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:54 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
ROTFLMAO. Your ignorance of geography is amazing.
my ignorance of geography? Are you kidding? my profession is partly related to geography.I think that you have a problem with geography.
In Russia, every student in every public average school studying geography 6 years, in contrast to U.S. schools.

Last edited by GreyKarast; 04-22-2014 at 08:03 AM..

Old 04-22-2014, 08:00 AM

681 posts, read 1,206,223 times
Quote:
Alaskans collect far more from the Federal government for every $1 paid in Federal taxes. Different charts will show different amounts — ranging from $1.09 to $2.24, depending on what payments are included in the accounting (defense spending, transportation projects, infrastructure, education, spending on native tribes, what the Republicans like to call "entitlements," etc.) But I have yet to see a chart in which Alaska isn't running a deficit, something The Economist magazine says they've been doing for more than 20 years. So I guess whenever the majority decides you want to leave, the other states could find something else to do with that money.
And how much of Alaska's land is still under Federal ownership? Hint.....it's almost 62%. Perhaps when the Feds turn it loose and allow Alaskans to use it to support themselves the equation changes.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:19 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
my ignorance of geography? Are you kidding? my profession is partly related to geography.I think that you have a problem with geography.
In Russia, every student in every public average school studying geography 6 years, in contrast to U.S. schools.
Ran across this thread by accident...

You are correct assessing our educational system. Our lowered achievement is in part in direct relation to the curriculum sent down from our federal government. It's almost as if they are trying to reduce the amount of educated people so they can more easily steer the county in accordance with their wishes and desires.

I was not aware of the petition for Alaska secession. Texas actually received the desired amount of signatures for Obama to address it. He said "the states remain united".

Old 04-22-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Ran across this thread by accident...

You are correct assessing our educational system. Our lowered achievement is in part in direct relation to the curriculum sent down from our federal government. It's almost as if they are trying to reduce the amount of educated people so they can more easily steer the county in accordance with their wishes and desires.

I was not aware of the petition for Alaska secession. Texas actually received the desired amount of signatures for Obama to address it. He said "the states remain united".
Why is this happening today? I know that 30 years ago, people in the U.S. were well educated, but every year the level is reduced. Government easier to manage people?
Russian (Soviet) system education is not perfect. But gives you the opportunity to think in different areas, regardless of type of profession. In Russia, you have to study all subjects and humanities and engineering.
Yes, you are right it is natural that Obama never separate any part of the United States. And I think this is true for the country though.Alaska will never be separated .Texas as well.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
If you weren't ignorant of geography, you'd understand why a tunnel under or a bridge over the Bering Sea wouldn't be feasible.

Furthermore, there were no railroads within 4000 km of the Bering Strait in 1916 when the Trans Siberian Railroad was completed to Vladisvostok, nor was there enough people or commerce in the area of the Bering Sea, on either side of the strait, to support a railroad.

In fact, there are still few if any roads on either side of the strait today! People travel by plane or boat to get from one point in Alaska to another that's any distance away.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:01 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Quote:
The fed govt imposes most of those expenses, you dont see Russia dumping money into yeses or other rural areas or building massive native medical centers. If all that was cut out we would not need fed dollars just to maintain roads in south central or other basic infrastruction in anchorage and the valley.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
If you weren't ignorant of geography, you'd understand why a tunnel under or a bridge over the Bering Sea wouldn't be feasible.

Furthermore, there were no railroads within 4000 km of the Bering Strait in 1916 when the Trans Siberian Railroad was completed to Vladisvostok, nor was there enough people or commerce in the area of the Bering Sea, on either side of the strait, to support a railroad.

In fact, there are still few if any roads on either side of the strait today! People travel by plane or boat to get from one point in Alaska to another that's any distance away.
I think you have a problem with geography. I have no problems with geography. No need to say that what you do not know. 52 miles is not a big problem .Many times I was in it. so do not need to talk about Geography. Secondly, it was only a plan. No more. In the third it was possible. Fourthly today there is a real project bridge or tunnel across the Bering Strait. Creation of infrastructure is not the problem in any conditions.
The first proposal for the creation of an intercontinental crossing refers to the 90 th year of the 19th century - Colorado Governor William Gilpin voiced the idea , and architect Joseph Strouss drafted a railway bridge . Then the idea did not find support from Russia and was for a time forgotten. However, already in 1905, the initiative arose precisely from the Eurasian side - work to create a tunnel under the Bering Strait approved Nikolai 2 . At the time, prevented the implementation of the planned start of the First World War . Later realized projects were not given other reasons .
Question for you since you are so fond of geography - How much distance between our countries?

Last edited by GreyKarast; 04-22-2014 at 05:09 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
We have very serious problems with our schools in the USA. Everyone thinks thier kid is special. We have what is called the no child left behind act which reduces teaching to the lowest common denominator instead of segregating based on intellegence and ability. You would be appaled at the "new" ways they are teaching math. Most schools have removed the core ciriculum of algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, trig and then calculus now they have these integrated math programs which I have heard are aweful.

You will also find that some posters can only muster enough intellecutal abilty to challenge you on your grammer and spelling because they dont have a valid counter argument but they still hate your opinion. These are usually liberal types who want to turn the entire state into a park and tax and spend the USA into bankruptcy and second world status because the natives in the village deserve a nice new paved run way and a huge medical center for free as well as endless subsidies.

Its easy to see where a bridge or a tunnel would go with a wall map of the world, its not even worth arguing.
You are talking about schooling? How much of this is common trend? As with the formation of Alaska? There are enough schools and universities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska