Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:37 AM

978 posts, read 1,059,169 times

Advertisements

I've seen many shows, and commercials for shows, lately that really paint the picture that Alaska is for people who want to be isolationists.

Is this anti-social attitude really relevant in Alaska?

With the NCAA tournament going on I thought how anti-social Alaska really is with the rest of the United States in multiple ways. The tournament features teams from many states and sports is a huge bonding element for many states and cities within the U.S. I'm an avid sports fan and of course there are no pro teams in Alaska but I can't even think of one major college team that participates with the rest of the country.

Before you say it's a distance thing...remember that he University of Hawaii is active and they participate in a Western Conference. if they got invited, I'm sure they would have played in the NCAA tournament. They even host a College Bowl Game and what.....Hawaii is a 1/3 of the way to Australia.

Also the argument of travel expense is a weak one because, even if you don't fund a football program, a basketball team could be funded by a major University in Alaska. Many small schools fund basketball teams all the time because the teams are relatively small...look at this year's tournament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 12:15 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,831 times
We are not isolationists!

Now go mind your own lower 48 business!

Old 03-28-2014, 01:48 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Who cares about the "brackets"??? Or rackets or whatever you want to call them. I enjoy watching high school basketball cause I usually know the students playing or their parents or someone involved.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:48 PM

978 posts, read 1,059,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Who cares about the "brackets"??? Or rackets or whatever you want to call them. I enjoy watching high school basketball cause I usually know the students playing or their parents or someone involved.
The question I have is .....why doesn't Alaska participate in collegiate sports with the rest of the country. They might but I've just never seen it or heard of them ever. Can someone clarify?

Old 03-28-2014, 07:04 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,831 times
Because all the lower 48 teams have heard that Alaska is in the process of seceding from the lower 48 and combining with the Yukon, Northwest, and Nunavut Territories, Canada, (and possibly northern British Columbia), to form our new country Alaskanada.

They, the lower 48 teams, are afraid that they may get trapped here during our secession and know that they are not capable of hanging with such tough and independent people.

Last edited by hogfamily; 03-28-2014 at 07:40 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 10:28 PM

681 posts, read 1,207,808 times
D1 hockey in the WCHA, D2 basketball in the GNAC, a UAF rifle team that's won the national championship more times than I can remember. UAF swimmers and cross-country runners and skiers did quite well in their respective national competitions too. You're right...you just haven't heard about it.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:45 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,635,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
I've seen many shows, and commercials for shows, lately that really paint the picture that Alaska is for people who want to be isolationists.

A recent study concluded that 96.45% of people currently living in Alaska are on the lam from somewhere in the lower 48. So I don't think folks living there are isolationists, they're just in hiding up there in the Final Chance Frontier.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:20 AM

195 posts, read 278,664 times
I definitely wouldn't say "anti-social." I've lived in big cities in the lower 48 and find that people in a city like Chicago are much more anti-social than those in Alaska (in terms of interactions/helpfulness). With the exception of a couple of cities, the state is made up of small towns/villages. It's hard to be anti-social when you know everyone in town!

Last edited by HannahTravels; 03-29-2014 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-29-2014, 12:10 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post

With the NCAA tournament going on I thought how anti-social Alaska really is with the rest of the United States in multiple ways. The tournament features teams from many states and sports is a huge bonding element for many states and cities within the U.S. I'm an avid sports fan and of course there are no pro teams in Alaska but I can't even think of one major college team that participates with the rest of the country.

Before you say it's a distance thing...remember that he University of Hawaii is active and they participate in a Western Conference. if they got invited, I'm sure they would have played in the NCAA tournament. They even host a College Bowl Game and what.....Hawaii is a 1/3 of the way to Australia.

Also the argument of travel expense is a weak one because, even if you don't fund a football program, a basketball team could be funded by a major University in Alaska. Many small schools fund basketball teams all the time because the teams are relatively small...look at this year's tournament.
That anti-social assessment is far from accurate. I sense you are referring to the current "rash" of reality shows....ask any true Alaskan about the "reality" of the "reality".

What I have learned from personal experience is that the majority of folks enjoy thier independence, are actually very socIal, but might not trip over themselves to make you feel happy.....yes there are some small communities in the interior that might not have an active chamber of commerce.

Alaskans tend to be a rugged bunch, very proud of thier independence, and most share a "can do" attitude...that is not anti-social by any means.

A visitor recently asked one of my long time native friends innocently enough..."where do you find people that can do so well..in such an isolated area"....without a beat he said..."we bred em"...😝 Don't judge the people by some phony "reality" show....or lack of a basketball team !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska