Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 07:05 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Wynternight - which way did you go thru Canada and how where the roads? Chip seal, mud, frost heaves?
I crossed over in WA state. There were some slick spots on the roads but not many. The stretch between Destruction Bay to Beaver Creek and the first few miles in Alaska were awful - frost heaves, cracks, gravel patches, bumps so hard they'll shake your teeth loose but otherwise it was a beautiful trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 07:08 PM

279 posts, read 356,287 times
We drove from Anchorage to Fort McPherson NWT and back to Anchorage ... Incredible journey, and can't wait to go back.

Best town we stayed in - Hope

Old 05-14-2014, 07:43 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
I crossed over in WA state. There were some slick spots on the roads but not many. The stretch between Destruction Bay to Beaver Creek and the first few miles in Alaska were awful - frost heaves, cracks, gravel patches, bumps so hard they'll shake your teeth loose but otherwise it was a beautiful trip.
I think it's been that way forever. It seems like once they get a stretch redone something else has heaved up. Sucks getting stuck behind that gigantic motorhomes that can only go 5 mph over that stretch.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:25 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Thanks Wynternight... Looking like beginning of June I take my first trip up.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:03 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Thanks Wynternight... Looking like beginning of June I take my first trip up.
I hope you have a camera with a variety of lenses. You'll want to take tons of pics if you're inclined to photography.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:20 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
I hope you have a camera with a variety of lenses. You'll want to take tons of pics if you're inclined to photography.
That's me, I HAVE to stop every ten minutes it seems.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:54 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
I am into photography and I am bringing a couple of cameras. Although this won't be my only trip up this summer. I can't do the stop every 10 minute thing, but I do try and pick unique places to stop and take some pictures at. I really need to get a decent DSLR camera...

If I could afford a drone with a camera I could do some really unique picture taking, although thinking about it, not so sure that in Canada that would be wise to do, as I am not so sure they will have a sense of humor if I fly a drone...

Old 05-21-2014, 07:43 PM

33 posts, read 48,360 times
Good for you! I will have my MSN by Aug 1st but in nursing education. Now the debate is to stay here and take the last 18hrs of class for the NP or go to AK and work on e NP/DON on line. I have three months to decide! Barrow is still first on my list. I read that the DON previously worked in Jacksonville which is my home town. Good luck on the NP then go back to Barrow and ge the ihs student loan forgiveness!

Old 05-24-2014, 07:26 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
I made the trip out about a month and a half ago, drove to Casper, WY, then to Seattle and back up to Fairbanks and the roads were great, should have been even better for you, Glad you made the trip, most folks never make it and miss out on a lot of things to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska