Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times

Advertisements

I'll try that again:

Some of us just like to live life and do it without the fluff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 04:49 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
Default Xa'at says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch718 View Post
To each his own, right?

Not all of us want Seasons, convenience, diversity, culture, entertainment.
Okay, this guy isn't even around anymore, but I just can't hold my tongue. What makes people think that Alaska doesn't have diversity, culture, entertainment and seasons? That's like the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Culture isn't broadway plays and ridiculously expensive paintings that look like they were made by a blind two year old. Culture is learning about other people. It's totem poles, akutaq, and fish camp.
Diversity? Don't even get me started! All sorts of insane people live here: from hard-core pot addled hippies who think it's still 1969 to crazy gun toting conspiracy theorists and every single shade of gray in between.

Entertainment? Well, some of us don't consider being stuck in traffic day in and day out entertaining. How about hiking through pristine forests? Taking your skiff out into the wilderness and camping on islands that have possibly never been set foot on before? Hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, we've got it all. And if you're not the outdoorsy type, we Alaskans are known for our strange festivals and tendency to celebrate odd things.

As for seasons, we've got more season that the rest of the world can handle. In New York it's always like overcast and ugly, right? Here in Alaska we have four very distinct seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction!

As for convenience, pretty sure in New York you can't just step outside your door, wander around for a while, and then bring home dinner and cook it fresh. Well, you could, but you'd have to be a cannibal, which is disgusting.

So you see, Alaska has everything New York brags about- we even have snotty self-obsessed city people!

Alaska only has one downside: crazy spongebob tie mattress-selling man. God, he scares the beejeebes out of me, especially when he dances!!!...

Old 04-21-2008, 05:09 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I think thats Ted Sadler. From Sadlers furniture. He's a hoot.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:43 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
In the commercials he advertises for "Matress Ranch" in Wasilla.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:20 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I know. We have a Sadlers and a matress ranch in Sterling also.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:42 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Ketchikan has culture for sure. Check out the Monthly Grind at the Saxman Tribal House.
It's the third weekend of each month during fall, winter, and spring.

KAAHC - KAAHC Advisory Committees (http://www.ketchikanarts.org/content/view/27/53/ - broken link)

Old 07-23-2010, 01:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,054 times
Default what do you mean "native time"?

I find it rather funny that some folks (presumably white) still can't spell, punctuate or form a coherent sentence. I'm sure Barrow is a nice place to visit. I noticed that the sun hasn't set in a while up there & was curious; when do you folks get your first dark evening? It sounds like Floyd_Davidson knows what he's talking about. I think that AWP_rooftops may be high, & not just high on the roof. This just shows that ignorance (illiteracy) still exist in the 21st century.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:12 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_the_nativepriderider View Post
I find it rather funny that some folks (presumably white) still can't spell, punctuate or form a coherent sentence. I'm sure Barrow is a nice place to visit. I noticed that the sun hasn't set in a while up there & was curious; when do you folks get your first dark evening? It sounds like Floyd_Davidson knows what he's talking about. I think that AWP_rooftops may be high, & not just high on the roof. This just shows that ignorance (illiteracy) still exist in the 21st century.
Presumably white? Wow, bigoted much?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Okay, this guy isn't even around anymore, but I just can't hold my tongue. What makes people think that Alaska doesn't have diversity, culture, entertainment and seasons? That's like the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Culture isn't broadway plays and ridiculously expensive paintings that look like they were made by a blind two year old. Culture is learning about other people. It's totem poles, akutaq, and fish camp.
Diversity? Don't even get me started! All sorts of insane people live here: from hard-core pot addled hippies who think it's still 1969 to crazy gun toting conspiracy theorists and every single shade of gray in between.

Entertainment? Well, some of us don't consider being stuck in traffic day in and day out entertaining. How about hiking through pristine forests? Taking your skiff out into the wilderness and camping on islands that have possibly never been set foot on before? Hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, we've got it all. And if you're not the outdoorsy type, we Alaskans are known for our strange festivals and tendency to celebrate odd things.

As for seasons, we've got more season that the rest of the world can handle. In New York it's always like overcast and ugly, right? Here in Alaska we have four very distinct seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction!

As for convenience, pretty sure in New York you can't just step outside your door, wander around for a while, and then bring home dinner and cook it fresh. Well, you could, but you'd have to be a cannibal, which is disgusting.

So you see, Alaska has everything New York brags about- we even have snotty self-obsessed city people!

Alaska only has one downside: crazy spongebob tie mattress-selling man. God, he scares the beejeebes out of me, especially when he dances!!!...
This is just as ignorant of New York as a lot of New Yorkers are of Barrow.
There is a lot more to New York than the city. It's actually a very beautiful state once you're north of the city. Very rural, lotta hunting, more guns, conservatives and a lot of sunshine and 4 very distinct seasons.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
This is just as ignorant of New York as a lot of New Yorkers are of Barrow.
There is a lot more to New York than the city. It's actually a very beautiful state once you're north of the city. Very rural, lotta hunting, more guns, conservatives and a lot of sunshine and 4 very distinct seasons.
Yep, I lived in upstate NY (Syracuse area) and its a far cry from downstate. The Finger Lakes region is beautiful, as is the Adirondacks region. Great hunting and fishing if that's your thing. Camping galore.

First Time Visitors | Visit Adirondacks - Official Travel Information for the Adirondack Region of New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska