Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 04:11 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,265,457 times

Advertisements

According to "Alaska State Troopers," a TV show on the Justice Network, the prices for commodities in the remote villages are outrageous: a gallon of water is $10, $8 for a small block of cheese, and $100 for a pint of smuggled whisky. I assume that wages are inflated but the people showcased are obviously unemployable; many addled with alcohol. Just how generous is the welfare system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 04:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,815,156 times
Hugo Chavez used to pay people's fuel bills in some of the villages. Not sure if that program still exists.

Lots of people supplement store bought food w/fish and game. I think I spend more at the grocery store out here in Grant County, Oregon, than I ever did in Alaska. I think it's more common for people to live in extended family households in the villages, which helps keep costs down.

Keep in mind that AK State Troopers isn't reflective of life in Alaska in general.

No idea what welfare payments are in Alaska, but I'm sure it's not some astronomical amount.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-12-2015 at 05:02 PM..

Old 10-12-2015, 06:49 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,184,770 times
I paid $3 for a 12 oz can of Coke in Kotz, it's not just the small villages where it's expensive.

And I have no idea where they get the money.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:24 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,177,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
According to "Alaska State Troopers," a TV show on the Justice Network, the prices for commodities in the remote villages are outrageous: a gallon of water is $10, $8 for a small block of cheese, and $100 for a pint of smuggled whisky. I assume that wages are inflated but the people showcased are obviously unemployable; many addled with alcohol. Just how generous is the welfare system?
When I was living in a small village on the Yukon River we were paying quite a bit. A gallon of milk cost $15. A half gallon (whatever the normal size is) of ice cream was $15. A dozen eggs cost $5 and a can of veggies was $4. I never bought meat in the village and only bought cheese occasionally but the smaller (2 cup shredded cheese size?) cost us $8.

A gallon of gas cost us $7.40 but has since come down with the lower cost everywhere else. Wages? Not really inflated. There were limited number of jobs. Most jobs would pay between $10-$20/hr and I know that is a wide range, but the pay would depend on the experience and the type of job. Most people worked seasonal with Fire Season as one of the most profitable seasons. Welfare was common and I spoke with a single mom with one kid that received $900 a month in govt assistance, which isn't that much money considering the cost to live in the area.

A bottle or R&R cost about $80 (we were damp).

Old 10-12-2015, 07:26 PM

There is a heating oil supplement. As of last year certain families did qualify for free oil, but it wasn't all winter and not everyone qualified for it.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:53 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,880,839 times
Certain things that are considered staples in the general US are prohibitively expensive in rural and bush AK, like fresh milk. So if you can't afford it, you have powdered milk or do without. That sort of thing. Off brand dry goods prices are more in-line with lower 48 prices than brand name and pre-prepared type items are. You learn to make more things from scratch and eat more things you can hunt, grow or gather.

Amazon Prime is awesome...definitely doesn't ship in the promised two days, though, so you have to plan ahead.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:03 PM

21 posts, read 31,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

Amazon Prime is awesome...definitely doesn't ship in the promised two days, though, so you have to plan ahead.
Does Amazon Prime honor free shipping to Alaska? I ask because we are moving to Soldotna within the next month (from Iowa) and since I'm a student I could get a cheaper price for Amazon Prime. But wasn't sure if it was worth the cost.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hntngrl View Post
Does Amazon Prime honor free shipping to Alaska? I ask because we are moving to Soldotna within the next month (from Iowa) and since I'm a student I could get a cheaper price for Amazon Prime. But wasn't sure if it was worth the cost.
It's worth it. Most items do offer free shipping though occasionally it isn't that way. Also the time for delivery isn't as fast as lower 48.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:12 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,193,103 times
Amazon prime is great! Yes, there are some things that are not allowed on airplanes that prime wont ship.even tho the item says free shipping. Once you get here and try ordering things from other businesses outside you will find the high cost of shipping will stop you from ordering. Flat rate from USPS is also your friend.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:22 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,592,872 times
Amazon Prime appears they no longer will ship TV's to Alaska any more. Too much damage and costly.

But overall, they are really good for people living remote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska