Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:50 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times

Advertisements

Here you go, this has a lot of information:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1082.html

They do require a insurance card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 02:01 PM

639 posts, read 1,916,543 times
The Consulate said " you need to make sure you have proof that you have the Canadian requirements before you arrive at the boarder." And that they don't have anything to do with the US insurance companies. I asked what the requirements were and was given a website addy.

I spoke to the main call center,2 agents,main call center. I got the we don't know what your talking about line,you don't need nothing like that line and the last one said they quit issueing them in 2006.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:03 PM

We are moving at the end of March and will arrive in Fairbanks 4/5/2008. Thanks for the barge info. that might be worth a shot.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:26 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,048,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
The Consulate said " you need to make sure you have proof that you have the Canadian requirements before you arrive at the boarder." And that they don't have anything to do with the US insurance companies. I asked what the requirements were and was given a website addy.

I spoke to the main call center,2 agents,main call center. I got the we don't know what your talking about line,you don't need nothing like that line and the last one said they quit issueing them in 2006.

I'd interpret the statement, "you need to make sure you have proof that you have the Canadian requirements before you arrive at the boarder." to mean that you'd best have all your ducks in a row before you get to a guard shack at the border.

You don't indicate what the website says, and you didn't share that link.

As to what Allstate tells you, ....do remember that their 'call centers' are staffed by people who are given a script to work from, by and large you're not talking to people who are necessarily equipped to know what you might need. If the question isn't covered on their 'script', they might just wing it.

Proceed at your own risk, then, eh?

(...not what I'd do, but hey, what do I know, .......)

Old 12-18-2007, 02:31 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
My last trip I was never asked about insurance at any of the borders. Even coming back pulling a trailer with a model T car on it all they ever asked for was my trailer registration. They were not to fond of my having studded tires on in April going into North Dakota...but as it turns out it was a good thing I had them. I hit 3 blizzards north of Edmonton on the return trip.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,516 times
Call the Insurance Corp of BC to ensure your insurance covers all the risks in BC and make sure you all have travel medical (extremely expensive if something were to happen). Drive safe, enjoy our beautiful scenery throughout BC and the Yukon and say "hey" to all in Beaver Creek YT and Alcan Alaska on your way through.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:52 PM

Well all I can do for the insurance is all I can do. I mean it isn't like I can go up there and yell and scream at them and call them names and demand they give me something that for some reason they don't have a clue about now can I? If you can come up with a better way to get the card from some group of people who claim they don't know what I am talking about or that they don't issue them any more then please enlighten me with your wisdom. The only thing left for me to do is sit down and call every Allstate agent in my phonebook and see if I can find one that knows what I am asking for.

And yes I take it to mean you should have proof of insurance,car registration,drivers license,passport,and any other paperwork you can find with you before you get to the boarder.

I also just got back my quote for having my mini van shipped and it is $2036.84.

What is travel medical insurance? Where do you get that from? Here is the website they told me to go to. I don't think it is super user friendly. I have looked around but didn't see the insurance thing on there. But I did see where it says to contact your health care provider about medical insurance or to seek a short term policy elsewhere.
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca

Last edited by megensmom; 12-18-2007 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Left out sentence

Old 12-18-2007, 06:09 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Just as long as you have Health Insurance you should be fine. I'm a Native Alaskan and I get free health in Alaska, but I do have outside insurance just because I travel a lot and I'm sure that the free health care is hard to find for me stateside.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:22 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,412,216 times
Like the previous poster noted, normally a restricted drivers license restricts minors from riding around with him. If your going to be with him I think it would be a great experience as long as it's not in the winter time, we drove it in late winter and parts for the highway was fairly scary. Black ice, wind and the experienced truck drivers and I guess some not so experienced but the rig is still big. My husband and I are very experienced in driving in some of the worse road conditions but this still sent a rush up our spines.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:40 PM

He would be alone driving. In this state(SC) a restricted license only restricts you to the hours you can drive and at certain times how many and who can ride with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska