Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city/town to visit in Southeast Alaska
Juneau 5 33.33%
Haines 2 13.33%
Skagway 0 0%
Sitka 6 40.00%
Petersburg 1 6.67%
Ketchikan 0 0%
Wrangell 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:41 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Advertisements

So if you were to pick one city in the Southeastern part of the state, what would be the most interesting and/or beautiful town? Some things to consider....

Most scenic and beautiful setting
Historical interest
Best dining and hotels
Recreational and outdoor interest
Most eclectic town with distinct character
Overall best town to visit in Southeast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 08:57 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Best dining and hotels, eh? Why would that even matter? Sitka I think is the neatest town with Petersburg and Wrangell coming in after that.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
This is a hard one to answer because you're asking for advice on urban amenities, and no one goes to SE for those...

the best dining in a cookout on the beach with what you caught that day, and you can get a great night's sleep in a Forest Service cabin.

Other than that, you should visit Juneau because that's where you'll find the most choices concerning lodging and dining.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:05 PM

623 posts, read 957,488 times
Depends what you want. From Juneau, You can stretch out and do a lot of different things.to I'd say Juneau as a hub.
But...

Most scenic and beautiful setting (Haines)
Historical interest (Skagway/Sitka)
Best dining and hotels (Juneau)
Recreational and outdoor interest (Any)
Most eclectic town with distinct character (Skagway)
Overall best town to visit in Southeast (Juneau)

Old 07-06-2014, 11:27 PM

187 posts, read 348,382 times
Ketchikan, Sitka or Skagway

Old 07-07-2014, 04:32 PM

758 posts, read 847,181 times
Sitka -- hands down rates #1

Old 07-07-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Best dining and hotels, eh? Why would that even matter?
Well it would be a vacation so I got to stay somewhere. I know they are small and remote towns so I'm not expecting luxury hotels, just wondering if there were decent and perhaps even memorable places to stay in some of these towns be it hotel, inn, or guesthouse. And given their coastal locations I can only imagine there would only be some notable places to dine and have good seafood. Just a thought.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-07-2014 at 08:33 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This is a hard one to answer because you're asking for advice on urban amenities, and no one goes to SE for those...

the best dining in a cookout on the beach with what you caught that day, and you can get a great night's sleep in a Forest Service cabin.

Other than that, you should visit Juneau because that's where you'll find the most choices concerning lodging and dining.
So in other words something like a fishing charter for a day out on the water that does a group cookout on the beach? I suppose could fly in and out of Juneau have that as a base and take a ferry trip out to another town or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
Sitka -- hands down rates #1
What makes Sitka #1?

Old 07-07-2014, 10:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
So in other words something like a fishing charter for a day out on the water that does a group cookout on the beach? I suppose could fly in and out of Juneau have that as a base and take a ferry trip out to another town or two.

Sure, something like that would be a great experience.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:43 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Well it would be a vacation so I got to stay somewhere. I know they are small and remote towns so I'm not expecting luxury hotels, just wondering if there were decent and perhaps even memorable places to stay in some of these towns be it hotel, inn, or guesthouse. And given their coastal locations I can only imagine there would only be some notable places to dine and have good seafood. Just a thought.
Captains Quarters B&B in Ketchikan is pretty sweet. Outside of their I've always camped out in the camper on my truck. I wouldn't worry too much about the housing aspect. They are simply places to sleep. Instead of trying to find something fancy spend that extra money on an excursion like a flight seeing trip or a fishing charter.

As for Sitka it is not overly commercialized like Juneau, Ketchikan or Skagway. It's just got a special charm to it as well as being very senic. Good luck, have fun and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska