Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:06 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times

Advertisements

Eves -- you got that off a generic website that says the same thing about every community in the U.S. It's simply a site that sells bogus "info" about building permits to idiots who don't have a clue.

County Building Permit Homer Alaska | Building Permits In Homer AK

Didn't the use of the word "county" give you a clue? This site just transposes the city and state of whatever is being searched for.

Seriously, you should stop taking surface-level results of Google searches and trying to present them as fact. Or at least use your brain *cough cough* and learn how to recognize a bogus site.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-29-2014 at 01:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 10:29 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
A county building permit is issued by a county government to those whose projects lie within its jurisdiction in Homer Alaska. However, not every little project requires a county building permit in Homer Alaska. If someone is putting up a temporary shed to store gardening equipment, re-painting a house, or laying brick pavers for a walkway, that's not really something that requires the county to get involved. If someone is making significant changes to a structure though, such as changing the pipes from copper to PVC, turning a shed into a guest house, or things of that nature then it is most definitely necessary to have a county building permit in Homer AK.

There is more here than meets the eyes!!
Alaska does not have counties. Homer lies within the Kenai Peninsula Borough.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:41 AM

7,539 posts, read 17,228,595 times
To the OP, your best bet is to call the City of Homer. Try the planning department. I would think you'd want to leave the answer up to them, instead of random anonymouses on a forum like this.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:47 AM

758 posts, read 847,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
To the OP, your best bet is to call the City of Homer. Try the planning department. I would think you'd want to leave the answer up to them, instead of random anonymouses on a forum like this.
Thank you.. that makes more sense than any other comment posted here on this thread!

Old 09-29-2014, 11:12 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,687,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Yep, I posted the link to the official website from the City of Homer.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:16 AM

202 posts, read 355,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dloop View Post
I'm not sure myself as I haven't gone out for bid yet and I've never done it this way before. But I'm hoping it gives me a chance to put some sweat equity into the house. I have a job that will allow to work from home most of the time. After my work shift I was thinking I could out in a few hours every day on the interior myself.
I live 1/2 mile out of Homer so I can only speak of the borough.
I only need one permit . And that is for the driveway culvert.
Which I never needed.

As said check with the city planning department. But mostly get the city ordinance numbers that covers building on a lot and read them. Good questions to ask your builder when you find one.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:21 PM

22 posts, read 22,721 times
I chatted with the planning dept today. They issue a zoning permit before construction begins, but that is it. No inspections nor do they issue a certificate of occupancy.

Thanks folks.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:50 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,687,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dloop View Post
I chatted with the planning dept today. They issue a zoning permit before construction begins, but that is it. No inspections nor do they issue a certificate of occupancy.

Thanks folks.
Ole' Stiffnecked was right for once. 1st time in the past 7 years. That's the way to do it though. Call them and get it straight from the horses mouth. So when are you moving????

Old 09-29-2014, 07:20 PM

22 posts, read 22,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Ole' Stiffnecked was right for once. 1st time in the past 7 years. That's the way to do it though. Call them and get it straight from the horses mouth. So when are you moving????
Early Summer hopefully.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:52 PM

80 posts, read 146,456 times
Checking-in with your local planning and zoning department is highly advised versus getting advice on CD because regulations change and different areas have different rules. I would also check-in with your lender. They typically require a certificate of occupancy even though the City or Borough may not, and sometimes local regs will trump lender regs and your loan will be underwritten as non-conforming. I am coming from Valley and Muni experience, so this may not be applicable in Homer. It's worth the call to a lender confirm no CO won't affect your plans to move in, or the resale of the home, if you are paying cash. Ensure the lender handles a lot of loans (well), and has a good reputation. Good luck, building is really exciting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska