Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 06:48 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times

Advertisements

I live in a very small amazing, beautiful state on the Eastcoast. Pretty easy to see everything in a few days.

Alaska...huge!

I want to come for three or four days in February, then again in October. A friend of mine really wants to do the whale watching. (Not understanding the whale thing, since she could probably see whales in one of the New England States.) I want to see the Bears at Brooks Falls.

Not really into Cruises, but I have heard the only way to really experience Alaska is to do a Cruise.

Fairbanks or Anchorage?

Opinions, suggestions welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 07:04 AM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I live in a very small amazing, beautiful state on the Eastcoast. Pretty easy to see everything in a few days.

Alaska...huge!

I want to come for three or four days in February, then again in October. A friend of mine really wants to do the whale watching. (Not understanding the whale thing, since she could probably see whales in one of the New England States.) I want to see the Bears at Brooks Falls.

Not really into Cruises, but I have heard the only way to really experience Alaska is to do a Cruise.

Fairbanks or Anchorage?

Opinions, suggestions welcomed!
Yeah, I'd probably nix Feb and Oct and come in August. It's 50 below in Fairbanks in February and October is all brown, cold and no snow.

Take a tour in the katmi for critters, K2 flight tour and land on Denali, Seward boat tour to see whales, sea otters, dall porpoise's, seals etc

Old 10-25-2014, 07:43 AM

Thanks Crossfire. I try to stay away from peak travel times. I will see what I can do to get closer to August!

I would like to see the Northern Lights again. I did see them in Iceland a few years ago. That is why I was considering Winter in Alaska.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:40 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
Not many whale watching tours operate in the winter months and that also goes for cruises. Also you won't see bears anywhere in AK in February and probably not in October either, by October the fish have all finished their runs and therefore bears won't be hanging around the falls, once their food supply starts to dwindle they head to their dens for the winter hibernation.

Best whale watching and bear viewing time is July and August when the salmon are running. Alaska tends to close for the winter as far as tourists go, the state doesn't plow roadside stops, even the Denali overlooks can be quite a hike in if you can find somewhere to park. Hotels are just as expensive and a lot of tourist facilities (in Anchorage) close for the winter season. If you arrive at the end of Feb beginning of March you will be in town for the Fur Rondezvous but thats about it.

http://www.nps.gov/katm/planyourvisit/hours.htm

http://www.kenaifjords.com/?gclid=CO...FYxDMgodJzoAJA

Old 10-25-2014, 09:27 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
March = Iditarod.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the information Jan Alaska.

AADAD---thanks for reminding me about the Iditarod. I am going to look into that.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 AM

863 posts, read 2,078,082 times
June - August: Summer activities. Weather and wildlife viewing are generally better earlier, but the tourist crowds taper noticeably in August. Generally not dark enough to see northern lights.

September: Fall colors, few bugs (which can be terrible in summer), and a chance to see northern lights with relatively comfortable temperatures. Not many tourists, but visitor services are shutting down, especially later in the month.

March: Winter activities. If comfortable with winter driving, take the loop through Anchorage and Fairbanks for lots dog racing, ice carving, fextivals, and whatnot. Best northern lights viewing is north and east of Fairbanks.

The rest of the year has major drawbacks. It's either brown with no leaves and no snow, or a slushy muddy mess, or excessively dark, or excessively cold.

If you're the type who avoids peak travel times, I doubt you'll enjoy a cruise. Just fly to Juneau and get on the state ferries instead. It's a lot more interesting and "authentic." Southeast is probably best to do in summer, since fall and winter are generally less spectacular there.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Thanks Crossfire. I try to stay away from peak travel times. I will see what I can do to get closer to August!

I would like to see the Northern Lights again. I did see them in Iceland a few years ago. That is why I was considering Winter in Alaska.

Possible to see Gray Whales in May and Humpbacks will be in maybe late May (but not many) early June out of Seward.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:09 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
February = Yukon Quest

About | Yukon Quest

Old 10-25-2014, 02:13 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
February = Yukon Quest

About | Yukon Quest

Downtown, by 2nd Avenue:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska