Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2006, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,324 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Today, I got a job offer teaching in Houghtaling Elementary School in Ketchikan. The town sounds really charming, and rainy! I am in my early twenties and just now graduating from grad school in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where I was born and raised. I was looking for a change when I applied for the position, but now that it's been offered (and I have to decide over the weekend!!!) the prospect scares me a lot!

What are the people like in the city? Friendly? If I go to a bar in the city will I be scoffed at for not being a local? I'm used to being around a lot of friends and I'm sort of nervous about moving away but am very open to the idea. Also, do you recommend renting an apartment before I leave here or staying in a hotel and then start searching before the school year starts. I've looked in the Ketchikan Daily News for advertisements and found some one bedrooms for less than $500. Considering the cost of living is so high there, I'm wondering if these places are guareenteed dives.

Any input appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 11:26 PM

3 posts, read 9,677 times
Default Ketchikan

Hi LeeAnn,
Since you probably already made your decision by now, and maybe you've chosen to make a jump up here, I can tell you a little about Ktn. I've been here about 2 years. Alaska is a great state to live in, and people are prone to like or dislike any place. Being on an island is a tough one if you are used to travelling when you want. There are friendly people here, and there are people who act like they live in some big city and won't even bother to say Hi. There is a 6% tax on everything, including monthly rent. It is called the rain capital of Alaska, and fills this title quite well. But if you are used to flatland or hills, you will like the mountains that are here, and being on the water is nice too. You can have a fire on the beach without worrying about anything, except the tide. There is limited shopping though, so get the clothes you want before getting here. Also, there is so much more to Alaska than this place. Any chance to visit up north in the southcentral region would be a great adventure. I actually love it up there and miss living up there immensely.
If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer in a positive and honest way. I don't know how often I'll get on here, being this is the 1st time, and wanted to send you a reply. Good Luck!

Old 08-01-2006, 09:15 AM

5 posts, read 27,565 times
thx for your help. i do understand about long responce times, I too get bussy at times and can't always respond in a timely manner.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:44 PM

234 posts, read 162,627 times
oops...just saw this thread is almost 10 years old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: