Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 12:54 AM

77 posts, read 104,664 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at towns from Palmer/wasilla areas, down hwy1 I believe, all the way to homer at a potential landing spot for me between college and my career life. I have looked into most towns on the kenai pen, but for some reason always overlooked the actual town of kenai.

Does anyone have any input on kenai compared to anchor point, homer, or other towns on the kenai pen? Also compared to the smaller towns on the north side of anchorage up towards Palmer/wasilla areas. I understand the weather and elements will be different from being in a different region. But more on the lines of the town itself and activities for people to get out and do.

How are the trails? (hiking, snowshoe, snowmachine) is the river fishing good or better to go out into the cook inlet and open water fish? Just anything about the town that could differ, whether good or bad, compared to the many other towns I have looked into in south central alaska.

Thanks for the help!!

Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:10 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
Just so you know... No one in Alaska refers to highways by their numbers... There's the Seward Highway between Anchorage and Seward. There's the Glenn Highway going north from Anchorage to Palmer and then onto Glennallen. There's the Parks Highway from Wasilla to Fairbanks. There's the Sterling Highway that branches off the Seward Highway and goes south through Cooper Landing, Sterling, Soldotna, Anchor Point to Homer.
Kenai & Soldotna are just about 10 miles apart, and sorta function like one larger town that is just spread out. There would be more stores, restaurants, etc in the Kenai/Soldotna area than in the other towns on the Peninsula.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:20 PM

77 posts, read 104,664 times
Thanks for the input. I have looked into soldotna, but didn't realize they were that close to each other.

Also, thanks for the help on the highways. Good to know the local lingo before I arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska