Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:11 PM

28 posts, read 59,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
That post was directed to Rance...Blonde moment, my bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 03:28 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
They were not big enough to get the publicity St Helens got. But still very humbling. Yes I had ash all over my place on more than one occasion. It's a mess.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:21 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,409 times
Default head straight for NAPA

The Alaskan rule of thumb for volcano eruptions: head straight for NAPA.

That way you can buy a couple of air-filters for the truck before they run out.

Well, that plus don't fly your 747 through the ash cloud, but EVERYONE knows that.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,339 times
Default Steven McColl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueToo View Post
good luck with your research But how sad I am to learn that a nuclear power plant might be built in Galena It is such a beautiful unspoiled place I wouldnt want it to be spoiled by a power plant

Thank-you for your comment; I am a Structural Engineer.

Do you know how a Nuclear power plant works? We all have a tendency to criticise what we do not understand.

In this case the proposal is for a Small Module Reactor, you may be interested in learning about SMR.

Kind regards,
Steven McColl
[EMAIL="smc@idl.net.au"]smc@idl.net.au[/EMAIL]

Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,339 times
Default Steven McColl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Yeah but what if it goes Chernoble? Did you know northern Sweden is polluted with radioactive material that settled onto the vegetation from the Chernoble incident... and now they can't even eat the wildlife like reindeer etc because those critters eat off the land and have become contaminated themselves. It's a pretty sad deal. And Russia just turned their backs like they had nothing to do with it. I guess we are dang lucky the wind was not blowing our way in al that mess. But Sweden is very similar to Alaska and I feel damn sorry for them. Some beautiful country has been basically ruined. Maybe this system will be more up to date and better monitored who knows...but man I'd hate to see something go wrong right here in our own state.
Hi, thanks for your concern and valid comment..

The type of plant at Chernobyl was a Generation-2 Boiling Water Reactor (BWR) having a Graphite moderator. And BWR implicitly have a 'POSITIVE-feed-back-loop'. So that increases in power result in an increase in heat and vice-versa. BWR are therefore difficult to operate from a stability stand-point.

The other type of Gen 2 plant is a PWR (pressurized water reactor) - which have NEGATIVE feed back loops, where during a boiling crisis the drop in pressure of the coolant due to the boiling; results in less moderation, thereby less power output ( A passive safety system).

The proposed reactor at Galena is a more advanced design again, (a Gen. 3 Advanced Pressurised Water Reactor (APWR).

In addition, during a power failure there is no need for back up power as the absence of coolant pumps (coolant flow relying on convection through the core only) means more passive safety again.

I trust this is of assistance to your concerns,

Steven McColl
Structural Engineer [EMAIL="smc@idl.net.au"]smc@idl.net.au[/EMAIL] +61 413040640.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska