Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 03:53 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Superb governmental positions..... catch my drift?
Some would equate Superb governmental positions with Welfare, being that they both are funded by the taxpayer. Just saying...

I agree with the allure, or lack thereof, of the east coast for some. I am afraid that being placed there would make me either homicidal, or suicidal, not sure which. Thankfully, I have the freedom of choice to avoid the eastern seaboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 05:43 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,802 times
Short of northern maine/nh I hate the east coast, ma resident speaking

Old 05-03-2015, 05:46 PM

But ya, if I did move, Fairbanks would be the furthest north, and by rural, I would like to be able to atleast drive to the nearest store, anchorage would probally be were I would end up, probally a little north of it...

Old 05-03-2015, 06:11 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
But ya, if I did move, Fairbanks would be the furthest north, and by rural, I would like to be able to atleast drive to the nearest store, anchorage would probally be were I would end up, probally a little north of it...
In alaska, Rural to us, is different than rural to an east coaster. I grew up in rural north GA and where I grew up would be considered the suburbs here in AK.

There is rural road and rural off road.

As far as your original concerns, we do what needs to be done. I am a diabetic. I live in a bush community with about 150 people. I have to order my supplies in the mail and I have never gone without.
As far as job...I'm considered rich. I am a teacher (though i am not rich by any means).

The economy in the bush is seasonal. Lots of carpentry, local tribal organizations (jobs are grant based), and the occasional education related/medical field/airlines).

Government assistance is quite common but many communities are slowly dwindling as younger people leave and go to town.

Almost everyone practices some form of subsistence out here (hunting, fishing or trapping) but very few actually live a true subsistence only lifestyle.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:26 PM

that makes me feel alittle better, and regarding subsitence, i have no fears of eating mostly meat ive hunted/fished/trapped, but there is a reasonable border between reality and tv. I assumed i could order supplies, but the issue with me was affording them, as you probally know being a fellow diabetic, Insulins supply is in a huge abundance, but its the cost of it. If i may ask, what is it up there without insurance, down here a vial of insulin can run from alittle under 30 at walmart, to alittle over 100 for humalog. I assume that 100 for humalog must be well into 150.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:24 PM

39 posts, read 58,783 times
"Superb governmental positions..... catch my drift?"

People who continue to desire, support and vote for MORE government are the problem! What they fail to realize is that their desires restrict and take from others to give to people who have not earned the value that they are given via government, which is Communism. When a government has the ability to give everything to people, it also has the power to take everything from the people. I know this will not be understood by all. Some people have to experience the end result to believe. History is just a series of make-believe stories to them. -Brian

Old 05-03-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
that makes me feel alittle better, and regarding subsitence, i have no fears of eating mostly meat ive hunted/fished/trapped, but there is a reasonable border between reality and tv. I assumed i could order supplies, but the issue with me was affording them, as you probally know being a fellow diabetic, Insulins supply is in a huge abundance, but its the cost of it. If i may ask, what is it up there without insurance, down here a vial of insulin can run from alittle under 30 at walmart, to alittle over 100 for humalog. I assume that 100 for humalog must be well into 150.
I have insurance. My cost for meds is the same in AK as it was in GA.
Here's the deal with subsistence. Sounds like what you want, will require money and time for meat. Game is not as plentiful as people are led to believe. Prime moose habitat isn't as friendly to humans.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:45 PM

206 posts, read 513,985 times
To make money in rural AK,i work.

I have Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, basically i drove long haul for over 5 years and destroyed my body.

Can't get more rural than Barrow AK.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:53 PM

well good to hear from some people with medical issues up north.

@ haolejohn. Elaborate on "Sounds like what you want, will require money and time for meat.". Regarding game being plentiful, if anything i would assume it would be the oppisite. Despite the habitat, alaska isnt PA with all the farms to feed the animals, even up in Northern N.E. theres few animals in wooded areas, and Maine is pretty warm compared to alaska, with alot more farmland i would assume. So ya, if anything, i would assume the wildlife is easier to sustain itself up there, in terms of theres natural preditors ect, but the overall numbers would be lower.

@dradiin Now, barrow is something like what im talking, or maybe another bush community(is that the term). defiantly north of the artic circle, or further north. Fairbanks is pushing it regarding winter. Maybe if i move up there, get used to the cold in say southern alaska, then push north, but thats further off.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
well good to hear from some people with medical issues up north.

@ haolejohn. Elaborate on "Sounds like what you want, will require money and time for meat.". Regarding game being plentiful, if anything i would assume it would be the oppisite. Despite the habitat, alaska isnt PA with all the farms to feed the animals, even up in Northern N.E. theres few animals in wooded areas, and Maine is pretty warm compared to alaska, with alot more farmland i would assume. So ya, if anything, i would assume the wildlife is easier to sustain itself up there, in terms of theres natural preditors ect, but the overall numbers would be lower.

@dradiin Now, barrow is something like what im talking, or maybe another bush community(is that the term). defiantly north of the artic circle, or further north. Fairbanks is pushing it regarding winter. Maybe if i move up there, get used to the cold in say southern alaska, then push north, but thats further off.
There is game here, but not as common as people would think. I thought AK would be busting with the game, but that is not the case.

I live in arguably the best moose hunting area in the state of AK, but unless you live here, you have to pay a pretty penny to access these moose.

As far as the cold...you dress in layers and buy good gear.

Moose's habitat is not the most human friendly habitat. They thrive in marshy (tundra with young willows) areas with a lot of water, which make living hard for humans.

There are animals here, just not always where humans live.

Since you mentioned bush communities, look into hubs. Hubs would provide more opportunities for an outsider to live than smaller villages, however housing will be an issue. Housing is very limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska