Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:30 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times

Advertisements

I talked to some people that have traveled to the Russian far east and the natives there did not have new model snowmachines and 4 wheelers nor did they get govt money dumped into things like wind farms, nice new run ways or other infrastructure projects. I would also like to travel to the Russian far east to see the contrast myself but from what I have heard its a major difference. There is also no such thing as "native hospitals" in Russia. If you make poor life choices in Russia you are on your own. That's how it will be here when the govt starts running out of other peoples money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
That is a major misconception. The govt doesn't take care of them. Do they get support? Sure, but do you know how far $900 month in support goes in a village?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 02:13 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I talked to some people that have traveled to the Russian far east and the natives there did not have new model snowmachines and 4 wheelers nor did they get govt money dumped into things like wind farms, nice new run ways or other infrastructure projects. I would also like to travel to the Russian far east to see the contrast myself but from what I have heard its a major difference. There is also no such thing as "native hospitals" in Russia. If you make poor life choices in Russia you are on your own. That's how it will be here when the govt starts running out of other peoples money.
where are natives being given free snowmachines? ATVs? Landing strips are maintained just like public roads in town. native hospitals are funded but have you ever gone to one? Do you know what the wait is like? Do you know what type of care you get? sure it is free, but many Natives go to regular hospitals.

You have a warped view of reality for the Native Alaskan. You should try to live in a native community before you spout nonsense.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:26 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
pittsflyer is highlife2. These are his usual talking points.
He is also known as rpperso on another site.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
He is also known as rpperso on another site.
I was wondering if that might be the same...lol.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:46 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times
Just sayin it can get a lot worse. NO money goes into villages in the Russian far east, or very very little.

As a state we are bleeding millions and I have seen the charts, its mostly on social services and welfare. Also native corporations basicly get no bid contracts under the 8A status, yea I get that its not a slam dunk and they have to do some work but its still non competitive and runs up the costs of everything.

All that stuff adds up to a lot of money.

Quote:
where are natives being given free snowmachines? ATVs? Landing strips are maintained just like public roads in town. native hospitals are funded but have you ever gone to one? Do you know what the wait is like? Do you know what type of care you get? sure it is free, but many Natives go to regular hospitals.

You have a warped view of reality for the Native Alaskan. You should try to live in a native community before you spout nonsense.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Just sayin it can get a lot worse. NO money goes into villages in the Russian far east, or very very little.

As a state we are bleeding millions and I have seen the charts, its mostly on social services and welfare. Also native corporations basicly get no bid contracts under the 8A status, yea I get that its not a slam dunk and they have to do some work but its still non competitive and runs up the costs of everything.

All that stuff adds up to a lot of money.
Our states money issues aren't caused by villages.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Our states money issues aren't caused by villages.
State's. Not states.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:40 AM

590 posts, read 714,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
"Normal" life is not defined the same way in the bush as it is outside. Folks that move to the bush live much differently than folks outside so you can't compare the two. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Money is a .338, your store is the land and your meat comes off the hoof. As far as making money, most villages are welfare driven because there are not a lot of jobs. Jobs that are there are in larger places like Kotz, Bethel and are jobs that support transportation, health care etc.
most villages are 99% natives and they get all their income from the government. why would someone want to work when they get everything for free?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska