Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:41 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plenus View Post
Well, maybe I should clarify a bit.
I do know that the cop shows are looking for and showing the most undesirable element of any area they are filming. I was also pointing out the various reality shows as well as "Buying Alaska" type realty programs.
It just seems to me that even those shows don't really depict Alaska, and it's people, as the most friendly or hospitable. The background views of the natural areas is for sure, very attractive...but the towns and communities just look a bit worn out.
Anyway...I guess I'll never know unless I take a quick flight up there and see for myself.
Winters and costs of maintenance up here tend to make both people and buildings look a little rough.

I've seen a few of the shows and they're dumb and fake. Well, Alaska State Troopers is real enough, but it's a pretty small slice of the population they're looking at there. It's a cop show, of course it's about crime...one wouldn't, say, conclude that the population of a state was SUPER into buying and selling houses based solely on a realty reality show being set there, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 05:51 PM

233 posts, read 250,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Winters and costs of maintenance up here tend to make both people and buildings look a little rough.

I've seen a few of the shows and they're dumb and fake. Well, Alaska State Troopers is real enough, but it's a pretty small slice of the population they're looking at there. It's a cop show, of course it's about crime...one wouldn't, say, conclude that the population of a state was SUPER into buying and selling houses based solely on a realty reality show being set there, huh?
I get it...but during these shows I am also noting the background...the neighborhoods....people....the appearance of the various communities.

I'm sure Alaska has some very nice towns and decent folks.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plenus View Post
I get it...but during these shows I am also noting the background...the neighborhoods....people....the appearance of the various communities.

I'm sure Alaska has some very nice towns and decent folks.
Just come out and ask. What kind of people are you afraid of running into? What kind of people do you like? Are you concerned that you may encounter rednecks?

It's possible to visit Alaska and hardly have any contact with locals, especially during summer.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of redneck culture, which seemed prevalent on the panhandle. I dislike that style of humor -- a lot. You know -- the sexist, racist type combined with bathroom humor worthy of four-year-olds. But I didn't encounter it that much. I stayed out of local trailer parks and didn't go to the bars. But yeah, it's there.

You might like Talkeetna or Homer. IDK, you'll have to give us more to go on. Are you considering going up there looking for a man?

Oh -- and about the appearance of the various communities and people -- if you ever see my fish truck rattling around looking all rusted and dented, you'll probably think we're po white trash who's graced the reality cop shows a time or two, especially if you catch me on a bad day when I've got that Tama Janowitz with all fingers and toes in a light socket look going on but...

few things that are worth a damn in Alaska are new and shiny, including the people. When I see a new pickup truck (or in high summer, even a clean one) that just screams dumbass Outsider to me trying to be all fancy. The best people in Alaska often live in the most humble abodes, and no one with any sense, at least in SE, drives anything that has to be garaged and babied. Our hair is usually all screwed up too because of the wind and rain. If you see someone all gussied up during commercial fishing season, you know that person's a loser.

I don't spend much time there myself anymore because I got sick of the wind howling during winter.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-01-2015 at 07:15 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 07:23 PM

233 posts, read 250,533 times
Other than actually visiting to see for myself....I think the majority of my questions have been answered.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:25 PM

You're welcome.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:26 PM

Honestly, I only notice how rough my grooming has gotten when I go into Anchorage and there are people wearing something other than beat-up jeans and hoodies, and some of them are even using products on their hair and concealer on their faces, lol. Folks of most stripes just don't dress up through most of the state...who're you going to show off for?

Old 09-01-2015, 07:29 PM

Tell you what, though -- salmon grease makes the best moisturizer. My hair is always really soft and shiny when I wash it after it's been covered with salmon grease for a few days.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:33 PM

Ha! I know a guy who swears by bear fat for dry skin and he and all his family use it. Well, it works for dry skin fine, yeah, but the smell is not amazing.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:38 PM

Bear grease makes the best pie crust, too -- really light and flaky.

I guess I'd rather be smelling like a bear than like salmon, come to think of it. Going around bear country reeking of fish probably isn't the safest course of action.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:10 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Honestly, I only notice how rough my grooming has gotten when I go into Anchorage and there are people wearing something other than beat-up jeans and hoodies, and some of them are even using products on their hair and concealer on their faces, lol. Folks of most stripes just don't dress up through most of the state...who're you going to show off for?
Haha, I like to consider myself quite fashionable in Delta wearing stained carhartts that I may have also been wearing for a week straight and a t shirt. Whenever I go to Anchorage I notice the same things. People wearing makeup, hair done up fancy, gold watches and the latest fashion trends. It's even harder adjusting my grooming standards when I travel outside Alaska. I'd be considered poor dirty and white trash almost anywhere else but here I fit right in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska